I'm new here...

You don’t know anybody below you.

I'll still pour one out for them each time they get assigned a trip from the reserve availability list and I do not.

Welcome to the site ARC. This is a great group of people. It is a mostly liberal bunch with some conservatives mixed in and they fight all the time. Some days, that seems like the only thing that happens. Most people know where the edge of the envelope is. Recommend staying out of The Lav if you only want aviation related content. Now with that out of the way, and most importantly, you can get your questions about the profession answered, and you can build a network. There are people here in every corner of aviation that you might want to go, and they all want to help you achieve your goals.

Where in the country are you? Where do you want to be? Do you hold a first class medical? Do you like movies about gladiators?

I'll still pour one out for them each time they get assigned a trip from the reserve availability list and I do not.

Welcome to the site ARC. This is a great group of people. It is a mostly liberal bunch with some conservatives mixed in and they fight all the time. Some days, that seems like the only thing that happens. Most people know where the edge of the envelope is. Recommend staying out of The Lav if you only want aviation related content. Now with that out of the way, and most importantly, you can get your questions about the profession answered, and you can build a network. There are people here in every corner of aviation that you might want to go, and they all want to help you achieve your goals.

Where in the country are you? Where do you want to be? Do you hold a first class medical? Do you like movies about gladiators?

I didn't know what to expect when I posted here- Thank you all for the great responses, lots to think about! It seems like a good community, and I appreciate the positivity.

to answer some of the questions:

I live in CT, I'd like to stay in the New England area to be close to family and friends if possible. I think the Boston area would be great if I had to nail down a place where I'd like to end up, but ultimately the job may decide that for me. I do have a 1st class medical (using 3rd class privileges at the moment, I need to get that renewed...) I would love to fly international for at least some of my career just to know what it's like. I have some friends flying routes to Europe and it sounds awesome, so I guess that is a goal for down the road.

I have heard that seniority is everything, I still don't fully understand how the game works, but I guess I'll figure it out. I'm 31, so I understand there are going to be plenty of people younger than I am in higher seniority spots. It is what it is, it doesn't bother me.

...and I do like gladiator movies, I have never been to a Turkish prison (although I think I started a riot once in an American one... long story)

Welcome. As you look at aviation, just remember the absolute best job in aviation is Part 91. The absolute worst job in aviation is Part 91. The difference between the two is usually a management change.

Also, planes get sold regularly. Ask me how I know.

Best of luck and let us know if you need help or advice. It’s why we’re here.

Last edited:
Great! I agree, there are way too many variables- I'm open to any and all input. I know ultimately it's a decision for me to make, but I'd love to hear any input/opinions. There are pro's and con's to all aspects of the industry. argue away! I have a contract with my employer through the end of 2022 as a flight instructor, but I will be at my minimums well before the contract is up. I'm conflicted as I have never burnt a bridge to my knowledge, but I'd like to keep in mind my own best interests
Uh.... I'd end that contract and secure a job as 2022 is trending to be a big hiring year. Ditch the CFI job and capitalize. Who cares about a burnt bridge at a flight school? The door of hiring won't stay open forever, covid gave everyone a reminder of that if anyone thought they were immune. Unless you enjoy your CFI gig and make good money, then disregard.

There's lots of great jobs with pretty great pay outside of instructor gig. Take it with a grain of salt, it's just an opinion. That's what'd I would do.

Anyways, welcome.

Back