ILS 3 into CHO

triple7

Went with a student last night into KCHO IFR last night for a training flight. We requested the ILS runway 3 approach for practice, and weather was severe clear but night(and very dark). The controller took us down to 3000 on the downwind. The min altitude on the approach for GS int is 3300. Every time Ive gone in there its been 3300 till established, etc. I queried him as to the MVA, and he said it was actually 2800, "descend and maintain 2800". I guess my question is, why would he feel the need to bring us down that low in VMC on a practice approach in a not so busy class d airspace. I can understand maybe if you were trying to get under a deck, but operationally what are the benefits for the controller to bring us down that low. I knew it was alright terrain wise, but it just had us a little puzzled. Is this just a particular controller's style?
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/00765IL3.PDF

The min altitude on the approach for GS int is 3300.

What the controller did was wrong. While he can certainly vector you all day long at or above MVA, when being vectored for an approach, the altitude must be compatible with the procedure. In thise case, you need to be at 3,300 ft on the intermediate segment and the controller does not have the authority to waive this requirement for you.

I would have something like: "Cessna 1234X requests 3,300 to comply with the procedure."

Back