IFR Written

jrwit

Looking to Ride-Along
Well...I'm taking it tomorrow. Other than the usual "did you study" etc. Does anyone have any specific tips? A bit nervous, but have been studying for quite a while so I'm decently confident as well.

Take the practice tests on sporty's (or wherever), if you are doing better than 85, you will pass. Oh, and you will probably never see an RMI in real life

Studied using the Dauntless software.....First four questions I never saw, two on GPS approaches, 2 on icing.

Used the Sportys E6B on a flight plan time calculation (winds, leg length, etc...), came out to 37.2. Two choices closest were 37 and 39. Chose 37 and it was wrong.

Missed the to / from triangle on another HSI one and pooched that question

Scored 78, DPE didn't care, never brought it up

Do all the non calculation questions first. Not that 2 hours isn't way more than enough time, it just gets them out of the way

yeah IGI and CFII if you have the cash, they are the same test over and over.

and for the IGI just take the written to the FSDO and an 8710 and bam you get an IGI, which a ground instructor rating is required if you want to obtain a Gold Seal CFI later on.

Thanks for the advice guys!
I studied with Dauntless, the Sporty's Practice tests and did my ground school with American flyers online. I've been getting consistent 85-90's and am feeling pretty good. I wish I would have known about the IGI and CFII part earlier though...

yeah IGI and CFII if you have the cash, they are the same test over and over.

and for the IGI just take the written to the FSDO and an 8710 and bam you get an IGI, which a ground instructor rating is required if you want to obtain a Gold Seal CFI later on.

You need FOI too, though.

Back