IFR est time enroute

planejay

Quick question regarding estimated time enroute on an IFR flight plan:
For example, I am flying from KRVS with a route of OKM-V15-MLC destination KMLC. My understanding is that the estimated time enroute is the time from OKM to MLC, is this correct or do I need to include the time from KRVS to OKM and MLC to KMLC? Thanks for the help!! Jason

Quick question regarding estimated time enroute on an IFR flight plan:
For example, I am flying from KRVS with a route of OKM-V15-MLC destination KMLC. My understanding is that the estimated time enroute is the time from OKM to MLC, is this correct or do I need to include the time from KRVS to OKM and MLC to KMLC? Thanks for the help!! Jason

I would venture to say you need to include the time from KRVS-OKM but maybe not from MLC to KMLC. Assuming of course the MLC fix is part of the approach. No regs to back it up, just thinking out loud...:insane:

Why would it not be the time of the whole trip? From airport A to airport B? fixes have nothing to do with it. it is the time from airport A to airport B, just with the fixes included in the ETE.

Was just thinking that once you reach the FAF, you would no longer be on with the enroute controllers you would have been handed off to the tower at the arriving apt. Meaning if you were handed off to the airport controllers, the enroute guys would no longer be concerned with you arriving...

now looking at the airport and the approach:
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0610/00978VA.PDF

I'd change my answer to the entire route.....It does not appear there is a tower. Probably doesn't matter, but that's my answer and I am sticking to it.:o

You guys are reading way too much into this.

Estimated time enroute is from takeoff to landing based on latest forecast winds.

And it's estimated, so add up all the leg distances, divide it by your TAS. That's your no-wind ETE. Then take a gander at the winds, adjust as necessary, and you have your flight plan ETE. It doesn't have to be accurate to the second and it takes a whole minute or maybe two.

I guarantee that method will come out to within a couple minutes of what you'd come up with by sitting down for an hour with a flight computer and doing it ATP-written style.

It's just your estimated time. We never see your ETA at your destination unless we really want to look it up. We get the strip for a flight 30 minutes before they're estimated to hit the border of the airspace. If you're ahead of schedule or a little slower, we get an updated strip telling us new your new time. I wouldn't sweat it.

Back