Idiot Dispatchers . . .

mtsu_av8er

So, a funny exchange between MEM center and a Pinnacle flight yesterday (lots of weather).

Center: FLGXXXX, any reason you filed over GHM?
FLGXXXX: Dispatched filed us that way because of weather.
Center: Hmm, did they realize that's where all the weather is centered? Cleared direct BWG for now . . .

:banghead: Is that certificate just handed out or something? :p

No the dispatch license is not just handed out. We have to pass the ATP just like the pilots, also we have to take a practical exam with an FAA examiner. Think of it like this, it is a dual responsibility for each flight between the captain and dispatcher. If either party sees something that they are uncomfortable with, the flight is a no go. Just because there is weather at a certain fix, it does not mean that the weather was forecast to be there when the flight was dispatched, or when it took off. I had a pop-up thunderstorm yesterday at ORD that an hour prior to the flight that was not forecasted to be there, nor was there any indication on the radar that it may be there at the time of arrival, does this mean that the person that produced the forecast should not be certified by the AMS, no, during the summer it is extremely difficult to forecast where severe storms will be and how they may effect the flight. Furthermore, the Captain has to sign off on the flight, so why is it the pilot accepted such a flight, thing happen and can not always be foreseen.

Before you refer to dispatchers as idiots, you might want to think back in your career and ask have you ever taken off on a route where the weather has closed in on you? Chances are it has happened, should we refer to you as an incompetent pilot? I don't think so. Dispatchers are there to keep our pilots safe, sometimes we can not foresee every issue that will pop up, but neither can the Captain.

Thats all well and good except when your "dispatchers" aren't really "dispatchers".:banghead:

Maybe I am missing something, or you are referring to dispatchers at freight companies, but I can assure you that when you are working 121 you are a licensed dispatcher and you do have legal liability. Like I said, your dispatchers are well trained professionals, but you do not get it right 100% of the time. The fact is that most dispatchers will run more flights in a year then some pilots will fly over their entire career. I can not speak for everyone, but with my experience, I am confident that I can get you from point A to point B any day of the year under any condition safely, because if not, that flight is not going anywhere.

So, a funny exchange between MEM center and a Pinnacle flight yesterday (lots of weather).

Center: Hmm, did they realize that's where all the weather is centered? Cleared direct BWG for now . . .

MTSU Aviator, It might be a good time now to share with everyone that you are a fellow aircraft 'spatcher as well! (Maybe you should have disclosed that while referring to dispatchers as idiots). Anyway, weather moves fast sometimes, and of course, it is always the dispatcher's fault where it ends up! Dang pilots! I will add that I didn't like doing regional airline dispatcher work either. Mainline dispatch is the way it is supposed to work. The dispatcher plans one flight and then watches over and communicates with that flight the whole time. At the regionals, the dispatchers crank out 12 to 14 releases an hour, and then get inundated with calls from whiny gate agents about why the flights are always late during that hour too. It can be difficult to follow all of the flights at that point. I think the FAA should put a limit on how many flight releases can be done in one hour. Just my humble opinion.

I'm not sure, but I think mainline dispatchers work quite a few flights simultaneously, but I might be (and have often been!) wrong.

No the dispatch license is not just handed out. We have to pass the ATP just like the pilots, also we have to take a practical exam with an FAA examiner.

He - ya don't say! Is it a hard practical? Is it a regular airman certificate, or is it different in some way??

:pOK, OK . . . I'm one, too.

Mavmb said:
MTSU Aviator, It might be a good time now to share with everyone that you are a fellow aircraft 'spatcher as well! (Maybe you should have disclosed that while referring to dispatchers as idiots).

Yeah, I'll put that in there next time. I should have mentioned it but didn't think about it. :)

I'm not sure, but I think mainline dispatchers work quite a few flights simultaneously, but I might be (and have often been!) wrong.

Yes, that is correct. You are often wrong. :p

Just kidding, that is correct about multiple flights. I got to take a tour of NWA SOC and each dispatcher would have about five to ten flights on their screen that they were doing.

The way that company has it set up, and others might be the same, was each dispatcher would have a type of flight. One guy would have MSP to the west coast. Another desk would have DC-9 turns out of MSP, another DC-9 turns out of DTW, another desk would have a couple MSP/DTW to Florida, another would have international westbound in daytime and eastbound at night, a desk for the five flights to Asia out of MSP/DTW, another for the west coast to Asia, etc.

Very neat to see the dispatch and meteorology department of an operation so large.

Lloyd,

I am down in TN now and liking the easy Nashville life. I hear you every morning when I'm coming in. Let's get that brew sometime!

And,...Dispatchers are not idiots.

As far as the dispatch thing goes.....some are idiots. There are a few here at PCL that I cringe when I see their names on the releases. Plain and simple. I witnessed a nice little arguement yesterday b/w the CA and one of said dispatchers. WX in MEM was 800BKN, which was WORSE than what the TAF said. TAF said ceilings were supposed to be 2300BKN for the time window for our arrival, so no alternate. Dispatcher was giving us the runaround when we called and asked for some more fuel and an alternate "just in case." He played the "well, it's based on forecast" thing, CA played the "well, I'm basing it on common sense" thing. Long story short, we FINALLY got the fuel and talked him into filing TUP as an alternate.

Right before push, new TAF was issued that showed we now REQUIRED an alternate. So, we would have had to call him back and delay the flight to be legal if he hadn't given us the alternate before then.

Not all dispatchers are idiots, but, like pilots, there are plenty of numbskulls out there.

Back