ICAO IFR Codes

MNFlyboy

Hey gang, I Fly a lot of different airplanes, some of which I’m less familiar with the exact kinds of Avionics installed. More so regarding ADSB or Transponder equipment and whatnot. In order to appropriately fill out the ICAO IFR Flight Plan, the equipment codes are so specific, sometimes a dice roll goes into what letters are input for various airplanes. If you flew an airplane for the first time, having no familiarity with it, how do you go about determining if the aircraft has ADSB, 1090 out, and In, transponder with mode C, mode S, not to mention the variety of RNAV/RNP capabilities. For the sake of the conversation, I’m referencing my experience in Part 23 Turbo-Prop and light jets. Is there a way by looking into the Avionics and their settings, or is it in the Avionics section of the POH? Thanks in advance.

Hey gang, I Fly a lot of different airplanes, some of which I’m less familiar with the exact kinds of Avionics installed. More so regarding ADSB or Transponder equipment and whatnot. In order to appropriately fill out the ICAO IFR Flight Plan, the equipment codes are so specific, sometimes a dice roll goes into what letters are input for various airplanes. If you flew an airplane for the first time, having no familiarity with it, how do you go about determining if the aircraft has ADSB, 1090 out, and In, transponder with mode C, mode S, not to mention the variety of RNAV/RNP capabilities. For the sake of the conversation, I’m referencing my experience in Part 23 Turbo-Prop and light jets. Is there a way by looking into the Avionics and their settings, or is it in the Avionics section of the POH? Thanks in advance.
It should be determinable by looking at the supplements for the relevant equipment in section 9 of the AFM. Hopefully all of them are there, my experience shows that some owners are good about posting them and some aren’t.

Though at this point tbh if you know what equipment is in there sometimes the easiest thing is to read the specs on the manufacturers website.

Back