I think most regionals discriminated me for being from the west coast during during interviews

Calibred1993

Everytime I interviewed on the phone or zoom they always were kinda shocked that I'm from California. They would always make it a big deal and say stuff like they never flew someone out from that far away . This was when they had in person interviews in 2019 . So many regionals seemed hesitant to hire me because I was so far away .. Always questioned me so much and even said things like why are you going to move so far away from home. . I'm like because I want to be a dispatcher ...Wtf ... The ones who questioned me the most were commut air ,Wisconsin air,piedmont, and psa air...

I eventually got hired recently by a regional and they were hesitant the whole time ..They only hired me because I kept bugging them with emails ..Then when they hired me they said good luck moving all the way out here. I thought it would be so common for people to move far away to work at a regional .

Last edited:
I'm from the west coast and it was never a problem. I know people from California that had no problem. I actually was flown out 4 times for an interview with my current employer and one of those times the stupid airport shuttle kept passing me up and I went home and didn't even do the interview and they still flew me out again and eventually hired me. Nobody is discriminating.

I mean, I've moved fairly long distance for a few regionals...moved from New Mexico to New Hampshire for my first airline job, then back to New Mexico for my second one...moved from Las Vegas to Wisconsin for another airline job, and then from Wisconsin to Texas when I got on with a major. It didn't seem to be a big factor in getting interviewed or hired, other than having to get to the interview mostly on my own for the first job.

Yeah man. The world ain’t out to get you. Congrats on the new job. Now buckle down, and show them they were right to hire you.
I know nobody is out to get me..I was just fed up about everyone making it a big deal that I am from California ..Even at my dx school they made it a big deal .. Everyone in my class was mostly from Florida , Ohio,Nc, and Tennessee .. Then everyone is like how TF did a California dude end up here ...

I just have a strong feeling that I would of got hired sooner if I was from Ohio or Florida or even new York

Last edited:
I know nobody is out to get me..I was just fed up about everyone making it a big deal I am from California ..Even at my dx school they made it a big deal .. Everyone in my class was mostly from Florida , Ohio,Nc, and Tennessee .. Then everyone is like how TF did a California dude end up here ...
I am from California as well and was asked several times about the move and if I was okay with the drive etc. But the main reason they seem shocked is simply due to the climate most of the regionals are in (midwest/northeast). I have seen several dispatchers who came from a warm climate and couldn't handle the sometimes harsh winters of WI and MN and left for the warmth as soon as they could. They are simply trying to mitigate turnover by those fed up by the long winters there.

Everytime I interviewed on the phone or zoom they always were kinda shocked that I'm from California. They would always make it a big deal and say stuff like they never flew someone out from that far away . This was when they had in person interviews in 2019 . So many regionals seemed hesitant to hire me because I was so far away .. Always questioned me so much and even said things like why are you going to move so far away from home. . I'm like because I want to be a dispatcher ...Wtf ... The ones who questioned me the most were commut air ,Wisconsin air,piedmont, and psa air...

I eventually got hired recently by a regional and they were hesitant the whole time ..They only hired me because I kept bugging them with emails ..Then when they hired me they said good luck moving all the way out here. I thought it would be so common for people to move far away to work at a regional .

Ummm... Skywest dispatch is in St. George, UT. Just sayin'.

I am from California as well and was asked several times about the move and if I was okay with the drive etc. But the main reason they seem shocked is simply due to the climate most of the regionals are in (midwest/northeast). I have seen several dispatchers who came from a warm climate and couldn't handle the sometimes harsh winters of WI and MN and left for the warmth as soon as they could. They are simply trying to mitigate turnover by those fed up by the long winters there.
Exactly! I forgot to mention the asked me about the cold many times too!

This was my experience getting my first job.

I had 4 companies that offered interviews. 2 via phone. 2 in person.

1. Drove 5 hours to catch a 2 hour flight. 3 hour interview then reverse the travel

2. I drove 1000 miles for an interview. Roughly 15 hours on the road with stops. About an hour out I pulled into a truck stop, cleaned myself up, put on the suit and tie and showed up on time. They put me up in a hotel that evening. On the drive back, I was called and offered the job.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there's more to this than you are obviously aware of. Exactly zero of those airlines would have any difficulty whatsoever getting you out to them for an interview. Far and away the biggest factor in deciding who to hire for a job has to do with how that person interviews, not their location. Regional carriers aren't daft. They are well aware that a new hire today is going to be gone to a major in a couple of years. Air Wisconsin couldn't care less whether you are able to deal with the cold weather. If you're a dispatcher, you're aware that it gets cold in northern Wisconsin. As an interviewer, I shouldn't need to talk to you about that. It's northern Wisconsin. It's cold. Duh. What I DO want to know is, are you articulate, can you think logically, can you form complete sentences, can you get along with others, do you exhibit an understanding of chain of command, regulations, leadership, and initiative, etc.?

I'm glad you found a job out there. I STRONGLY recommend that you take a very realistic look at the real reasons why you had such difficulty and work on those going forward.

This was my experience getting my first job.

I had 4 companies that offered interviews. 2 via phone. 2 in person.

1. Drove 5 hours to catch a 2 hour flight. 3 hour interview then reverse the travel

2. I drove 1000 miles for an interview. Roughly 15 hours on the road with stops. About an hour out I pulled into a truck stop, cleaned myself up, put on the suit and tie and showed up on time. They put me up in a hotel that evening. On the drive back, I was called and offered the job.
You sir are a risk taker, driving 1000 miles for an interview. They better give you an offer , the fact you drive 1000 miles. That’s a awesome story !

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there's more to this than you are obviously aware of. Exactly zero of those airlines would have any difficulty whatsoever getting you out to them for an interview. Far and away the biggest factor in deciding who to hire for a job has to do with how that person interviews, not their location. Regional carriers aren't daft. They are well aware that a new hire today is going to be gone to a major in a couple of years. Air Wisconsin couldn't care less whether you are able to deal with the cold weather. If you're a dispatcher, you're aware that it gets cold in northern Wisconsin. As an interviewer, I shouldn't need to talk to you about that. It's northern Wisconsin. It's cold. Duh. What I DO want to know is, are you articulate, can you think logically, can you form complete sentences, can you get along with others, do you exhibit an understanding of chain of command, regulations, leadership, and initiative, etc.?

I'm glad you found a job out there. I STRONGLY recommend that you take a very realistic look at the real reasons why you had such difficulty and work on those going forward.

When I got my first job in Mordor, I was definitely asked whether I’d be happy there, and if I’d enjoy the climate and unique culture of the region.

thank you for this, it was much needed in this thread

Back