I need your opinion/help please. (Deciding my next move)...

prpilot20

Okay ladies and gentlemen, first of all thank you for taking time to review my options and helping me on my next move. I have 2 conflicts in my head, each with 2 options... please help.

Little background info of myself:

I aspire to be an Airline Pilot, as most here. I have been involved with aviation for the past 4 years. I am 20 years old and a private pilot, and have around 110 hours. I am doing a bachelors degree in Management at University of Puerto Rico and it is currently my third year, simultaneously I keep flying and studying at Isla Grande Flying School which is a Cessna training FBO.

First Conflict:

I live in Puerto Rico, and flying here is quite expensive (as I know it is everywhere nowadays). I have invested arround 13k towards my PPL. I have not takened any loans, therefore, I fly every saturday or every other saturday, and therefore I took 3-4 years to finish my PPL, since im now 20 and soloed at 17 and started my training at 16.

As I wish to finish all my licenses(inluding cfi, II, and MEI), all except for atp, I have two options to consider in my first conflict, and each has its pros and cons.

Conflict # 1

Option 1 :

Stay in PR and finish all my licenses in my local Cessna FBO. Flights here are around the range of $120/h dual C-152, and $140/h Dual C-172, if the C-172 has gps, we can be arround $200/h. The Arrow must be around $200 too, and the multiengines I don't even wish to ask yet.

Pros of staying in Puerto Rico-
-I know that my instructor is good,stable and very experienced.
-Easy flying.("just look for the coast!")
-Easy to read terminal maps.
-I know the inspector and what he expects of my performance.
-I know the operator of the FBO.
-I know how things run and operate.
-I know the mecanics/[personal etc. (Since the FBO is small).
-Familiar with airports and terrains.

Cons of staying in Puerto Rico
-Hell expensive.
-Easy flying might be a disadvantage for me due to lack of diversification.
-Airplanes are not in the bests of conditions. ( I know training airplanes never are, but common, in a solo takeoff pilots door slams open, seriously?)
-No simulators are ever used. (this scares me, since regional airlines require simulator training, such as American Eagle, etc, and ive never even touched a real FAA approved simulator). Not to mention no simulator = + $$$.

Option 2-

I have been considering for some time going to Aviator College in Florida.

This is what they offer, [www.aviator.edu]

Professional Pilot Program

• 259 Flight Hours
  • Single Engine Private Pilot
  • Private Multi-Engine
  • Multi-Engine Instrument
  • Multi-Engine Commercial
  • Single Engine Commercial
  • Multi-Engine Flight Instructor
  • Instrument Flight Instructor
  • Single Engine Flight Instructor
  • 200 hours of Multi-Engine Time
  • Aircraft for check rides
  • Cross Country flying coast-to-coast
  • No FTDs (Simulators) used towards flight time
  • Six months housing (one person per bedroom) with Instructor Ratings
$ 40,685.00

The price above is of course the price of minimum time, and since I am no eagle to do all licenses/endorsements in minimum time, I would get a grant for around 50k and add 4k-6k just to eat those 6 months.

Pros-
-I will live inside the airport in the institutions dorms.
-Considerably less expensive-around 15k less or so.
-Looks more professional.
-I will diversify and learn other airports and approaches.
-I might have an opportunity to stay as a bilingual CFI for them. ( not saying i don't have the opportunity back in PR, but of course, Florida as more populated should have more demand for instructors).

Cons-
-Im going in blinded not knowing anyone.
-I don't know how my experience over there will be.
-I don't know their instructor's competencies.
-I don't know their inspectors.
-Unfamiliar terrain.

Before I do such a huge investment, I am visiting the institution of course. I am familiar with Florida and actually love it so I do not have a problem leaving and living over there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conflict # 2

As I stated above, I am in my third university year and I am 20. I do not wish to enter a regional late in my 20's or early 30's... I want to enter ASAP because I want the low pay while I am young and can afford to get a crappy pay. For me to enter a regional young, I need hours, meaning I need my cfi's.

Note: My university works in two semesters. 1st sem. Aug-Dec, 2nd sem. Jan-May.

Option 1:

I first finish my management bachelors degree ASAP arround 22 years old ( 2 more years or so) and then start getting all my ratings, get a loan and be a cfi then full time. ( the problem with this is that unless the demand is really high, instructors will most likely sit in the sofa of the fbo rather fly in most part of the day).

Option 2:
Take a 6 month break from my university, leave or stay in pr whichever but in that time doing Instrument, commercial and cfi and start accumulating hours part time. Then I return to my univ to finish my management degree flying as a CFI and getting PIC time part time simultaneously. Once I finish my univ, i can return and do my ME, MEI, etcs. This option will require me to get a loan too.

Please help me, I will appreciate your thoughts. I will stay very active in this post and refreshing it, so If you need to ask something, please ask.

/Guillermo

Re: I need your opinion/help please. (Deciding my next move)

My brother lives in PR and is a member of a club that is VERY cheap. You don't need to spend that much money on flying.

PRPilot: I'm from PR and flight instruct there. Check your private messages.

First off, welcome to JC.

Finish college, don't put it behind or take a break at your point, because it will be tougher to do in the long rung (I'm doing it right now, wishing I had finished it 3yrs ago). You said you'll be 22 when done, and I know that sounds like a LONG time but it's not at all, its going to happen before you even know it. I thought turning 24 this year was the end of the world, and seriously, it wasn't a big deal. I'd get the feeling that I'm getting old and am not accomplishing what I should, yet there are people who are 10yrs senior to be who have just taken their intro flight aiming to be airline pilots, so I realize I'm in good shape.

Now you stated that your dual 172 is $140. Thats not bad at ALL. Up here in New England, you're looking at 150-170ish for a Cessna 172 with an instructor. Don't worry about sim time either, because who would rather be in a simulator vs a real airplane? You don't need to pay, nor do you need any kind of Level D sim time to get hired by an airline, if anything, spend that money on flying around and getting REAL experience in the real world. Check out the school. If it's who I think it is, they're going to be in Ft Pierce, and I've flown their airplanes. At the time they were really beat up but it may have changed since its been a couple years. With your options though, if I were to pick, I would stay in PR where you can finish your degree, and fly as much as you can while down there.

Your math is all wrong. It makes better financial sense to enter the pilot profession a couple of years older with no debt, than entering a couple of years later with $60k of debt.

Tiger that makes no sense. I can not avoid the loan. It is cheaper for me to finish all my ratings in 6 months or so flying every day than be 10 years flying at the current rate I am flying right now.

Hey! A good friend of mine is going to Aviator (previously known as Ari Behn). He is really satisfied with the school and the proffesionalsim there. Think he just came back from a X-C some long way up north! They are not that strict with where you go on the X-C (intrastate) wich is really cool!! FL gets boring at times.. I will recomend you to go down there and talk to them, so you have first hand experience and look at the school. The apartments looks nice, but FT pierece is a whole though :p lol!

Dont have any opinions on what you should and not, as long as you are sure youre making the right choice!!

Getting a college degree should be the #1 consideration. Whether or not you stay in aviation, you'll need it.

Get the degree first !!!

The 140 price for a C172 isn't bad, especially if that is a wet price. $200 for a GPS seems a bit steep unless it is a G1000 aircraft.

Don't worry about SIMS they are easy and just a big video game. They fly just like a plane but are just more sensitive to control inputs so you need to be smooth. DO NOT TAKE A JET TRANSITION COURSE...They are a waste of money.

If you can do it without going in debt you will be in a lot better shape to go to the regionals than if you have debt.

Get the degree first !!!

The 140 price for a C172 isn't bad, especially if that is a wet price. $200 for a GPS seems a bit steep unless it is a G1000 aircraft.

Don't worry about SIMS they are easy and just a big video game. They fly just like a plane but are just more sensitive to control inputs so you need to be smooth. DO NOT TAKE A JET TRANSITION COURSE...They are a waste of money.

If you can do it without going in debt you will be in a lot better shape to go to the regionals than if you have debt.

From what I gather on the OP's post, 140 is wet 172 WITH instructor. I honestly have no idea why he feels that is expensive, I've never found ANYTHING cheaper than that.

Cheapest I've found a 172 here in florida is 95 wet block time. a 172L.

although instructor time here in south florida is 45+

Getting a college degree should be the #1 consideration. Whether or not you stay in aviation, you'll need it.

Agreed. It doesn't even matter what you get it in. I'm getting mine in Business Admin. because it is a fairly easy degree to obtain./

What part of PR do you live in? I have quite a bit of family in the Aguadilla/Isabela area.

Bayamon, metropolitan area. Quick question=

Do airlines just check the bachelors diploma or they go in depth on to the actual gpa and credit transfer of it...

because i take 6 university classes and I still study aviation, so i am doing 2 careers simultaneously and I sometimes do poor in some classes and get some C's. Not to mention I dont really like my degree, im just doing it to compliment aviation and have it as a backup.

I am an A student with my aviation, tho, i just worry for my management degree grades sometimes that it might affect me when i go to airlines.

Btw, 172 wet and with instructor is in the 200 range, not 140. Sorry.

Im looking into federal loans to see if I can be eligable to get one instead of going to a bank...

Im looking into federal loans to see if I can be eligable to get one instead of going to a bank...

ah. that is a little expensive... around here the most expensive you can get in a 172 is $185-190 for a G1000 172S($135) and instrument instruction ($50-55)

Maybe its just Puerto Rico but it sounds like youre getting ripped off.

Maybe its just Puerto Rico but it sounds like youre getting ripped off.

someone else mentioned some PR prices and they certainly weren't this high.
60 dollars for primary instruction in Puerto Rico style wages? That's absurd. That's way higher than even the primary here in Miami where it's actually expensive to live (45-50 for primary)

Back