I need help on deciding what I would want as a backup career

RickRoss747

I need help deciding a major for a backup career

Hey guys, I'm a sophomore right now in high school, and as far as I remember; I have wanted to be a pilot from around age 3-10. But the last six years, I gave up on it, for 9/11. All of the airlines hit rock bottom, and all I heard as a kid is that I would never become a pilot now. So I then started thinking about my next career choice. This choice was investment banking. I was planning on attending Indiana Univerity "the Kelley School of Business," or Michigan "Ross School of Business." These school produce many investment bankers, making 70k-100k their first year including bonuses. I just realized a couple of months ago I would be bored and miserable out of my mind, not doing something I love, but for the money. I've decided not to apply to those business schools, but go to MTSU to become a pilot.

Anyway, I soon will be starting to get my PPL license before attending MTSU. I'm pretty committed to MTSU, for the I'm not paying a damn cent to ERAU, and I'm instate "Chattanooga." So I'm going to go into the pro pilot program. Although, I have one problem. I have no clue what I should major or minor in for a back up. Do you guys think it's that important to have a back up? I was also pretty interested in the air traffic control program. would this be a godd program to take as well as the pro pilot program?

Is the pro pilot program a major or minor? What major or minor can I get that pays the highest salary? I just need to know, for I can have a great backup career in case I get layed off, so I can get back on my feet again to become a pilot again at a different airline.

What's the average salary American Eagle gives MTSU graduates?

Help me out... :)

Thanks guys

Re: I need help on deciding what I would want as a backup ca

Pro Pilot is a major. I'm one of those that think you should have a backup plan, especially with a pro pilot major, but thats just my opinion. Someone else on here can chime in about the ATC program as I don't have a clue how that side runs at MTSU.

By the way, you said you'd be starting your PPL soon. Are you doing that in Chattanooga? Just wondering, cause I got my private and instrument from a company in Chattanooga.

Pro Pilot is a major. I'm one of those that think you should have a backup plan, especially with a pro pilot major, but thats just my opinion. Someone else on here can chime in about the ATC program as I don't have a clue how that side runs at MTSU.

By the way, you said you'd be starting your PPL soon. Are you doing that in Chattanooga? Just wondering, cause I got my private and instrument from a company in Chattanooga.

Yeah, what school did you fly at?

I'm looking now...

Only you can decide what you want to do as a backup career - basically pick anything, as long as it'll give you a job.

"Anyway, I soon will be starting to get my PPL license before attending MTSU. I'm pretty committed to MTSU, for the I'm not paying a damn cent to ERAU, and I'm instate "Chattanooga." So I'm going to go into the pro pilot program."

It sounds like you've already made up your mind about MTSU. Beware, because your opinion will most likely change several times in the course of your high school career. Hell, when I was a sophomore I had thoroughly convinced myself that I was going to UND. Definitely not the case now.

AFAIK, the MQ partnership doesn't provide any difference in salary than anybody else who gets a job with MQ. Check out this link for the MQ salary chart:

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/major-national-lcc/american_eagle.html

Another thing - don't get all up in a tizzy quite yet; you've still got two more years before you have to start applying to colleges. ;)

Be an investment banker and "BUY" a jet. I'll even help you get a uniform for cost. :D

But if you're like the rest of us you've been bitten by the delirious aviation bug. Just get a degree in what you like. Do the flying on the side, you don't need an aviation degree, just a degree. I've always thought that I should have gotten a business degree and gone into investment banking. One of my friends brother does risk management, he's making like 125,000 at 29. Beats the hell out of my 18,000 at 27. Then again I like that I have a liberal arts degree. I always thought that learning at the University level was "SUPPOSED" to prepare you for democratic citizenship.

Back