I got a job!

jspeed87

I got hired at Mac Dan Aviation in Essex County Airport New Jersey, as a full time line service tech! :nana2: Anybody work for or know of Mac Dan please let me know. Also any other tips for working the line would be cool. The sweet part is that they have a flight school so employees get a discount! They have a new Diamond Aircraft and a few Cessna 172's.

Congrats! My biggest point...if you don't know how to do something, don't feel comfortable, or don't know where something is, then ask. Be it the boss, the captain, etc. nothing worse than breaking something when if you had asked if could have been avoided. The boss, or pilots will have more respect for you. Ask lots when your new, and even when you're seasoned, no one knows everything.

I got hired at Mac Dan Aviation in Essex County Airport New Jersey, as a full time line service tech! :nana2: Anybody work for or know of Mac Dan please let me know. Also any other tips for working the line would be cool. The sweet part is that they have a flight school so employees get a discount! They have a new Diamond Aircraft and a few Cessna 172's.

Congrats on the job!:nana2: What was the process of getting the job? btw do you think they would hire me at age 17? That seems like a sweet deal, so how do you plan on reaching the FBO? I remember you said something about not having a car... again congrats!:)

Congratulations, a line service job is the perfect place to start out in this aviation biz.

As said before, don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't know something. You will never know everything about the job and no one expects you to.

Congrats on the job!:nana2: What was the process of getting the job? btw do you think they would hire me at age 17? That seems like a sweet deal, so how do you plan on reaching the FBO? I remember you said something about not having a car... again congrats!:)

I just went in and applied I got hired on the spot. They might hire you if you have your driver's license. My pops is taking me to work for now.

I just went in and applied I got hired on the spot. They might hire you if you have your driver's license. My pops is taking me to work for now.

Wow that's cool! Are they still hiring? btw what kind of flight training incentives do they give you?

They might be. I believe you get like $30 something off the hourly cost. So a Cessna SP might cost you $100 an hour vs $130.

$10 an hour. :nana2:

Ouch. Not to piss on your parade, and I don't know how much people typically get paid up there, but that's pretty bad for down here. Did you have any work experience (counting non-aviation)?

Regardless, do ask a lot of questions like previous posters have said. Even most of the flight crews will go out of their way to teach you something. Some of them will look at you like an idiot but ignore those people.

Ouch. Not to piss on your parade, and I don't know how much people typically get paid up there, but that's pretty bad for down here. Did you have any work experience (counting non-aviation)?

Regardless, do ask a lot of questions like previous posters have said. Even most of the flight crews will go out of their way to teach you something. Some of them will look at you like an idiot but ignore those people.

At a place like Essex $10 doesn't seem that bad. Probably dealing with flight school operations more than servicing jets and such.

that actually sounds about right. some places pay a little more, alot pay a little less up here.

congrats on getting the job there, i applied a few times, but it was a waste of my time, they gave me a huge run around.

Couple of tips:

1. Keep the duckbill nozzle on the Jet Fuel Hose.
2. Make sure they have a fuel sticker that verifies their fuel type
3. Try not to bend any airplanes when pushing them ;)

-Unless you are topping an aircraft off, always check with the pilot if the fuel amount is good as sometimes it might come out to less than what they thought it would be.

-Always double check the fuel order prior to fueling if you can. Do so by comfirming the given order, and not by asking what the order is. One way makes it look like you care, the other makes you look clueless.

-Always double check prist flow. A citation had to cancel their trip because we didn't catch that there was a problem with the prist flow until the wings were practically topped off. You can't just defuel an OW aircraft like you can with SPR so we had to take it to our maintanance facillity and they had to open the fuel lines and slowly leak it out.

Back