I found this a little sad...

DeltaAVL

I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pKR-Vj5H8u8&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pKR-Vj5H8u8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Sounds like an older pilot just trying to do what he loves. Poor guy. :(

To me the controller comes across as an amateur. The ones that don't lose their cool make a hint or two and tell someone to vacate the runway quickly but this guy didn't figure out after the first few times he yelled that it wasn't going to do anything to help. So he keeps doing it anyway.

The 77F guy sounds like he needs to figure out what the heck is going on too.

I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

Sounds like an older pilot just trying to do what he loves. Poor guy. :(

I feel sorry for him but if he had no other issues mechanical or otherwise, being old is not an excuse to put others lives in danger.

The pilot certainly didn't have much of a clue. granted, the controller yelling didn't seem to help the situation but you would expect the pilot of a mooney to be at least somewhat competent. After all, he did report he heard 'loud and clear.'

When the controller asked if he was having engine troubles the pilots correct answer should have been, 'Yeah, I was having some problems there, sorry about that.' Regardless of what really happened it would have gotten him off the hook.

Hard to know the whole situation as none of us were in the cockpit with him. If there were no major issues like a mechanical problem or something, I'd have a real hard time cutting the guy any slack. He didn't seem to have a clue as to what he was doing judging solely on his radio calls. He's putting not just himself but other people in danger. I'd hate to see what he does at an uncontrolled field.

Again, maybe there were other things going on that we don't know about, but airplanes are not just toys you can go up and play with.

Guy doesn't sound too old to me-he sounds petrified. Some of the problem with GA is a lot of people have too much money and not enough sense.

...Mary and Joseph, COME ON!

When the controller asked if he was having engine troubles the pilots correct answer should have been, 'Yeah, I was having some problems there, sorry about that.' Regardless of what really happened it would have gotten him off the hook.

eeeennnnt! Thank you for playing, next caller.

QUOTE=Codyjp;903230]

eeeennnnt! Thank you for playing, next caller.[/QUOTE]

There was a flock of birds in my path.

Good point that we don't know what was going on in his cockpit (someone violently ill?) that was distracting him. But, based on the radio work the guy couldn't pass a biennial review, I think anyway.

I don't blame the controller for yelling, he has another airplane about to touch down and 77F is in delayed reaction mode (both in actions and on the radio).

eeeennnnt! Thank you for playing, next caller.

There was a flock of birds in my path.[/quote]

"I had engine trouble, no wait, or birds, I mean fod, wait I mean a flat tire, uhh uhh 77F..."

I head the tower rushing a guy off the runway after an event just like this and his response was "tower, your not going to like this, but I just blew a tire"

The airport went from 3 active runways to 1 in about 15 minutes. the other parallel had a plane with a collapsed nosewheel. It also happened to be the exact time I was taking my new girlfiend flying for the first time. We just about got ran over by emergency vehicles driving to the aircraft. Awesome!

He asked if it was ok to cross the main runway and the controller just yelled at him to get off. That was a jerk move right there.

Hard to know the whole situation as none of us were in the cockpit with him. If there were no major issues like a mechanical problem or something, I'd have a real hard time cutting the guy any slack. He didn't seem to have a clue as to what he was doing judging solely on his radio calls. He's putting not just himself but other people in danger. I'd hate to see what he does at an uncontrolled field.

Again, maybe there were other things going on that we don't know about, but airplanes are not just toys you can go up and play with.

Maybe he flies at an uncontrolled airfield most of the time, then went to a class b or class c airport and was overwhelmed by atc.

Maybe he flies at an uncontrolled airfield most of the time, then went to a class b or class c airport and was overwhelmed by atc.

I have heard this excuse before and I never really understood it. Maybe it is because I am learning at a controlled field so I am used to it. But, having a controller, I think, makes life easier. It lightens up your work load and allows you to just fly the airplane. You don't have to worry that some guy might enter your leg unannounced, unaware that you are there because he did not feel it necessary to monitor the frequency or over fly the field. (I know you do not actually need a radio at an uncontrolled field. But if you have one you might as well use it.)

Back