I don't wanna spend Thanksgiving and Christmas in OKC.

Was discussing this with my girlfriend and family....feel like a putz cuz I kept saying classes probably won't be held during the holidays....idiot :banghead:

Was discussing this with my girlfriend and family....feel like a putz cuz I kept saying classes probably won't be held during the holidays....idiot :banghead:

Yeah I was looking at the Initial En Route class scheduled to start in late September that runs through January 6th. I want this process to keep moving, but at the same time, I almost wish I could wait until January to start.

Is there any chance of requesting a spot in the class after the one you've been assigned to ... or is that a big no-no?

I have no idea. I guess if you have extenuating circumstances they would work with you, but I would probably end up going with whatever date they assign me. I just wish it wouldn't overlap both of the holidays. I'm sure they give you time off, but how many people will be able to afford to go home for a couple days?

I don't wanna spend the rest of my working life in a dead end job trapped behind a desk pushing paper. :) If that means I might have to sacrafice one Thanksgiving and/or Xmas without my family, I will.

I am sure those that live really far away and face spending the holidays alone will hookup with someone that lives closer and spend the holidays with them. Kind of like people do in college.

Xmas falls on Thursday this year so it is possible both holidays will be 4 day weekends.

I have an aunt in Witchita and my parents live in Iowa so I would be willing to take a couple of people on a road trip on those weekends if they are 4 day weekends.

I have an aunt in Witchita and my parents live in Iowa so I would be willing to take a couple of people on a road trip on those weekends if they are 4 day weekends.

Thats an awful tempting offer bro....you might just get some takers on it :bandit:

I don't wanna spend the rest of my working life in a dead end job trapped behind a desk pushing paper. :) If that means I might have to sacrafice one Thanksgiving and/or Xmas without my family, I will.

But you DO wanna spend the rest of your working life in a financially dead end job trapped behind a scope pushing blips?

And don't think for one second you'll have all holidays off.

This is the govt. I don't know ATC, but I do know USAF. ATLTRACON could probably confirm.

Welcome to the world of ATC, might as well get used to it... the chance of missing out on any holiday, important birthdays, etc in the years to come will become part of the norm. Is it worth it????? YES :D, I cannot wait till I get the opportunity to say "Speedbird 1## heavy, Rwy 22R position and hold" HA

Welcome to the world of ATC, might as well get used to it... the chance of missing out on any holiday, important birthdays, etc in the years to come will become part of the norm. Is it worth it????? YES :D, I cannot wait till I get the opportunity to say "Speedbird 1## heavy, Rwy 22R position and hold" HA

And what "Speedbird" are you referring to? The Concorde was retired in 2003 and its callsign was Speedbird...

But you DO wanna spend the rest of your working life in a financially dead end job trapped behind a scope pushing blips?

This is the govt. I don't know ATC, but I do know USAF. ATLTRACON could probably confirm.

I know that being the new guy and getting major holidays off probably won't happen....in any job, govt or otherwise....but I still had some hope for the classes accommodating the holidays....ah well....such is life

Chill dude. I am prepared and almost expect to work every holiday. My dad worked in a corn processing facility when I was growing up and worked every holiday because we needed that triple time and a half that he got. That was just a part of my life that I am used to. If that means opening Xmas presents at night because of an early shift or celebrating Thanksgiving a couple of days later on my day off, so be it. You have to adapt.

I was just f'ing around on my first comment about the dead end job. Don't get so offensive. And anyone who has been on here for more than a week has already heard how miserable of a job this is from ATL so we don't need him to co-sign your comment.

Oh I am prepared for six day work weeks and I haven't been off for Christmas for the last two years at my current job. I was hoping to get this one off under the circumstances as a last hurrah seeing as how I won't see another Christmas until I'm 56.

Chill dude. I am prepared and almost expect to work every holiday. My dad worked in a corn processing facility when I was growing up and worked every holiday because we needed that triple time and a half that he got. That was just a part of my life that I am used to. If that means opening Xmas presents at night because of an early shift or celebrating Thanksgiving a couple of days later on my day off, so be it. You have to adapt.

I was just f'ing around on my first comment about the dead end job. Don't get so offensive. And anyone who has been on here for more than a week has already heard how miserable of a job this is from ATL so we don't need him to co-sign your comment.

Now you've done it! Actually, until you get out of classroom training and get checked out on a few sectors you will have all holidays off and no OT.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

And what "Speedbird" are you referring to? The Concorde was retired in 2003 and its callsign was Speedbird...

Speedbird is still the callsign for British Airways, during the days of the of the Concorde that particular aircraft callsign was "Speedbird Concorde 00#"

Back