I don't wanna spend Thanksgiving and Christmas in OKC.

Sure you will. They won't have class the Friday after turkey day cause none of the instructors will want to work. And I bet there will be a week or more break between Christmas and new years.
i work at the academy, and there was no 4 day weekend this past thanksgiving. and the week between christmas and new years....yes there was class. hate to burst your bubble

"True, but it's no less devastating to the family dynamic, coming from someone who hasn't had Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years or birthdays with my dad for the past 20 years. The best we ever got was a few hours Christmas morning and even that wasn't guaranteed every year. :panic:"

whats the big deal on getting these days off anyways, nobody is saying you cant set aside ANOTHER day and celebrate whatever occasion as if it were that particular holiday. wait, im sure you always celebrate your birthday on whatever day it falls on, instead of waiting till the weekend (or a more convenient time) to celebrate.

Well then. I sit corrected.
ill give you some credit, you were partially right....instructors dont want to work the day after thanksgiving, but they are contract employees. most just take vacation. but the students still have to show up

ill give you some credit, you were partially right....instructors dont want to work the day after thanksgiving, but they are contract employees. most just take vacation. but the students still have to show up
I just figured it was like every other government operation I've been a part of, using any excuse to take days off.

"True, but it's no less devastating to the family dynamic, coming from someone who hasn't had Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years or birthdays with my dad for the past 20 years. The best we ever got was a few hours Christmas morning and even that wasn't guaranteed every year. :panic:"

whats the big deal on getting these days off anyways, nobody is saying you cant set aside ANOTHER day and celebrate whatever occasion as if it were that particular holiday. wait, im sure you always celebrate your birthday on whatever day it falls on, instead of waiting till the weekend (or a more convenient time) to celebrate.

5 year, 10 years, 15 years fine. But 20+ years of not EVER having the actual date off kind of sucks after a while. I agree, and believe me I have had Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc., on every day but the actual day, that it can be done on a different day. I think SSPG's point is, especially when children are little, it would be nice to have that special Christmas morning with their wide eyes. It is not the same when it is two days after. It is not the same when they are 20 or older. These are memories that you can never replace. Remember, there are many more important things in life than work and money.

That's great to set aside another day to celebrate, but children notice the family dynamic of those of their friends and they wonder why their family doesn't work the same. It's not just holiday's that make it hard, those are simply the times that it hurts most. You can't always move birthday stuff either, birthday celebrations have to fall on days that the guests can attend, which is most often times the weekend (you try getting a weekend off with anything less than 25 years exp., he has 22 yrs. in and still can't get Saturday/Sunday off). I'm not crying poor me, I'm just saying it's hard on it's hard on friendships outside of ATC, it's hard on the spouse and it's definitely hard on the children.

That's great to set aside another day to celebrate, but children notice the family dynamic of those of their friends and they wonder why their family doesn't work the same. It's not just holiday's that make it hard, those are simply the times that it hurts most. You can't always move birthday stuff either, birthday celebrations have to fall on days that the guests can attend, which is most often times the weekend (you try getting a weekend off with anything less than 25 years exp., he has 22 yrs. in and still can't get Saturday/Sunday off). I'm not crying poor me, I'm just saying it's hard on it's hard on friendships outside of ATC, it's hard on the spouse and it's definitely hard on the children.

I left the Marine Corps so I could have a family life that isn't continuously challenged with deployments and MANY other things but looks like holidays will still be the same and being in the same state is the consolation prize, lol. :buck:

Yah, there are jobs that are tougher on the family than ATC.

A train conductor has to be on call 24/7 all 365 days a year, and is gone for 2-3 days per assignment. Imagine hanging out with the family and getting a call to be at work in 90 minutes regardless of time, weather, day.

Yah, there are jobs that are tougher on the family than ATC.

A train conductor has to be on call 24/7 all 365 days a year, and is gone for 2-3 days per assignment. Imagine hanging out with the family and getting a call to be at work in 90 minutes regardless of time, weather, day.

Look, all I said was it was hard on the family, and does inhibit alot of normal functionality in the family. I didn't say it was the worst job in the world.

Imagine I don't have to imagine it, it happens all of the time. But usually it is 30 minutes hanging out with the family and getting a call to be at work in 90 minutes regardless of time, weather, day.

Not to belittle the train conductor, as I know they, as well as pilots work fatigued and holidays, etc. but how many live does he have in his hands at a given time? A pilot might have, at most 250 or so, I have that X 15-20 at any given time. Does he work 8 hours, go home sleep for 2 or 3 and have to go back to work another 8 with 100's maybe 1000's of peoples lives at any given time under his/her care while tubes of meat hurl through space and time at 400+ knots with relatively inexperienced Regional pilots, that can't/won't speak English very well, don't listen and may have been in flight school just weeks earlier? Does he work over 310 days a year?

Look, all I said was it was hard on the family, and does inhibit alot of normal functionality in the family. I didn't say it was the worst job in the world.

True, all jobs have some sort of give-and-take.

My comment was not directed to anyone specifically, but to those who are very concerned about working holidays. It is apparent that they have not worked jobs with odd hours. A person with military or shift work background doesn't worry about working holidays, since that is already standard procedure.

Not to belittle the train conductor, as I know they as well as pilots work fatigued and holidays, etc. but how many live does he have in his hands at a given time? A pilot might have, at most 250 or so, I have that X 15-20 at any given time. Does he work 8 hours, go home sleep for 2 or 3 and have to go back to work another 8 with 100's maybe 1000's of peoples lives at any given time under his/her care while tubes of meat hurl through space and time at 400+ knots with relatively inexperienced Regional pilots, that can't/won't speak English very well, don't listen and may have been in flight school just weeks earlier? Does he work over 310 days a year?

I'll give you that, well said.

Do controllers have hours of service limitations?

For example my job does not allow service after 12 hrs, in which case the train must be stopped regardless of location.

Do controllers have hours of service limitations?

For example my job does not allow service after 12 hrs, in which case the train must be stopped regardless of location.

No more than 10 hours without 8 hours off (hence the 6-2 today, then a 10-6 tonight). No more than 6 days in a row.

People seem to be forgetting that not everyone is a Christian and there is a lot of diversity in what holidays people celebrate. Just thought I would point that out. ;)

If you do not want to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas in OKC, there are plenty of people waiting in line behind you to take your place.

The solution is VERY easy, decline consideration under PUBNAT1 and re-apply under PUBNAT4. Then, you will put yourself at the end of the line and very likely won't go to OKC until 2009.

Now that you have the option - how big of a deal is it? :yup:

If you do not want to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas in OKC, there are plenty of people waiting in line behind you to take your place. They probably won't call someone up to take your class date. The FAA already factors in the fact that on average five people from every class don't show up.

The solution is VERY easy, decline consideration under PUBNAT1 and re-apply under PUBNAT4. Then, you will put yourself at the end of the line and very likely won't go to OKC until 2009.

Now that you have the option - how big of a deal is it? :yup:

I didn't mean that the people behind them would take their place in that class, but in the overall hiring process. There are XXX number of employees that need to be hired and if someone doesn't want to attend training because a holiday is important to them, they have options.

Ultimately when push comes to shove I'd venture to guess most people will just "get over it" and go to training. If they cannot, it would be wise to re-apply under PUBNAT4 and withdrawl from PUBNAT1...

If this job is important to you (not you personally - im talking in general terms), some sacrifices might have to be made...

Back