I don't wanna spend Thanksgiving and Christmas in OKC.

Speedbird is the callsign for ALL British Airways.

Speedbird is still the callsign for British Airways, during the days of the of the Concorde that particular aircraft callsign was "Speedbird Concorde 00#"

"Fill my eyes with that double vision
No disguise for that double vision
Ooh, when it gets through to me, it's always new to me
My double vision gets the best of me"

at least if you are working holidays at your facility you can still go home to your family at the end of the shift. oh, and dont expect to get a 4 day weekend while at the academy.

But you DO wanna spend the rest of your working life in a financially dead end job trapped behind a scope pushing blips?

And don't think for one second you'll have all holidays off.

This is the govt. I don't know ATC, but I do know USAF. ATLTRACON could probably confirm.

For some of us this "dead end job trapped behind a scope pushing blips" is a great opportunity.... It just depends on the individual. As far as financially dead end, working for the military is a considerably smaller pay scale so the FAA(even with these cuts) is a step up..... So just calm down and assume that grown adults understand what job they are applying for... you can afford to be a little more polite....

I don't wanna spend the rest of my working life in a dead end job trapped behind a desk pushing paper. :) If that means I might have to sacrafice one Thanksgiving and/or Xmas without my family, I will.

I am sure those that live really far away and face spending the holidays alone will hookup with someone that lives closer and spend the holidays with them. Kind of like people do in college.

Xmas falls on Thursday this year so it is possible both holidays will be 4 day weekends.

I have an aunt in Witchita and my parents live in Iowa so I would be willing to take a couple of people on a road trip on those weekends if they are 4 day weekends.

My sentiments exactly. OKC is the beginning of what will hopefully be a prosperous and rewarding career. If that means missing a Thanksgiving and Christmas here and there, so be it. Sacrifices are going to be made throughout our careers as a controller, due to the scheduling. It's just the nature of the profession. Might as well accept it now.

I have heard of people getting sent out to Oklahoma as soon as 5 days! after their PEPC interview. I am hoping this is not the case, and would guess we would be sent sometime around a month after we have our interviews.

at least if you are working holidays at your facility you can still go home to your family at the end of the shift. oh, and dont expect to get a 4 day weekend while at the academy.
Sure you will. They won't have class the Friday after turkey day cause none of the instructors will want to work. And I bet there will be a week or more break between Christmas and new years.

at least if you are working holidays at your facility you can still go home to your family at the end of the shift
True, but it's no less devastating to the family dynamic, coming from someone who hasn't had Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years or birthdays with my dad for the past 20 years. The best we ever got was a few hours Christmas morning and even that wasn't guaranteed every year. :panic:

If that means I might have to sacrafice one Thanksgiving and/or Xmas without my family, I will.

I am prepared and almost expect to work every holiday.

Which one is it?

Oh I am prepared for six day work weeks and I haven't been off for Christmas for the last two years at my current job. I was hoping to get this one off under the circumstances as a last hurrah seeing as how I won't see another Christmas until I'm 56.

Now this makes relative sense.

For some of us this "dead end job trapped behind a scope pushing blips" is a great opportunity.... It just depends on the individual.
I completely agree. I was just addressing the naive sentement that came across in whats-his-face's post

...working for the military is a considerably smaller pay scale .....you can afford to be a little more polite....

I'm a little crazy today, and not as an attack, but the irony of this make me giggle. :)

So just calm down and assume that grown adults understand what job they are applying for...

It didn't seem he did, that's all

Sure you will. They won't have class the Friday after turkey day cause none of the instructors will want to work. And I bet there will be a week or more break between Christmas and new years.

The Thanksgiving one I will believe, but you have GOT TO BE KIDDING if you think you are getting a week off b/ween Christmas and New Years. I bet you'll tell me next that they will pay you per diem for that as well.

Which one is it?

quote]

I am prepared to miss this year (OK City) completely. As I explained, you can work on a holiday and still spend it with your family. My family has done that for almost 30 years and it has worked fine. Maybe you go home and feel sorry for yourself after working a holiday but millions of other people in the same situation seem to do just fine. ATC is not the only job that works on holidays.

Which one is it?

quote]

I am prepared to miss this year (OK City) completely. As I explained, you can work on a holiday and still spend it with your family. My family has done that for almost 30 years and it has worked fine. Maybe you go home and feel sorry for yourself after working a holiday but millions of other people in the same situation seem to do just fine. ATC is not the only job that works on holidays.

What...we're NOT the centers (or ARTCC's for you Center pukes:sarcasm:) of the Universe?

I have heard of people getting sent out to Oklahoma as soon as 5 days! after their PEPC interview. I am hoping this is not the case, and would guess we would be sent sometime around a month after we have our interviews.

I would almost rather do that. Then I could get into that July 30th basics class and finish the initial en route class on December 19th. Then I could be back home around the holidays. Whether I will be working or not is another story, but atleast I won't be in OKC.

The Thanksgiving one I will believe, but you have GOT TO BE KIDDING if you think you are getting a week off b/ween Christmas and New Years. I bet you'll tell me next that they will pay you per diem for that as well.
Well Christmas and New Years are both on Thursdays this year, so maybe there will be school on the M-W between, but I doubt the Fridays after. So at least a 4 day weekend.

I am sure I'll be at Academy during the holidays, which is just fine with me, not a big family holiday kinda person.

HOWEVER, I am can guarantee you that my mother would jump at the chance to be our "den mother" :laff: and come cook for us and organize some sort of gifting. She lives in Norman (that's slightly South of OKC) and thinks it's her responsibility to feed everyone :whatever:.

PM'd with reasoning.

I ####ing hate arguing about petty stuff. I'll buy.

margaritabanner.jpg

I'm from Ft. Worth, TX originally and heading back there now for ZFW after living in Kansas for 6 years. I hope that I am in okc during the holidays because that means I might actually get to drive the couple hours down to TX for thanksgiving and xmas for the first time in a long time.

I am also hoping I can have a later start date, say middle to late october or even november so I can still go to some college football games for the last time probably. I just think I might want to kill myself if I have to hear about OU sports all the time in okc, especially when the sooners take on my beloved cats on oct 25. Anyone else not in a rush to get into okc or am I just really weird?

Back