I buried my dog today

Fins Up

Seems kinda weird writing about this on a message board. I don't feel like actually talking to anyone and my wife is out of town visiting her ill father. (BTW, my father has the worst, most aggressive kind of brain tumor there is. Not a happy time at home.)

My dog's name is Luna ("Moon" for you spanish speakers). She is a black lab mixed with who knows what. My wife and I had her for about 12 years. In her prime she was not the brightest dog, but when she ran, she was as graceful as any thoroughbred. We would take her to the beach in Corpus Christi. She would run, chase birds, drink seawater, vomit, drink more seawater.

Luna battled something called Cushings Disease for the latter part of her life. My wife found some medicine in Europe that helped her for a while.

In the end her mind was fine, but her body couldn't keep up. I came home one day recently and found her lying in her own urine because she couldn't stand up on the slippery tile floor. My heart broke for her. She got a little better for a while but it didn't last long. My wife and I didn't want to keep Luna around past the time where she could enjoy a decent quality of life. That just wouldn't be fair to her. Today, July 11th at approximately 1930Z, she was tranquilized and euthenized at my home in Maine. We did it outside under a huge Oak tree. She is now buried in a corner of the property near the pond that she used to cool down in in the summer (and drink from, of course).

I believe in Heaven and I also belive in Doggie Heaven. I'm sure she is up there with here sister Cindy, running on the beach and drinking seawater that doesn't make her vomit. I know I will see her again someday. She was a wonderful dog and I'm so glad I got to have her with me for those 12 years.

Thanks for listening.

Sorry to hear that, man. Losing a cherished pet always sucks hard, and it sounds like the timing couldn't have been worse. Hang in there, better times ahead.

Aw Fins, that was a lovely write up about Luna. You did the right thing to end her suffering and I'm sorry that you're the one hurting now. Best of luck to both you and Mrs. Fins and your respective fathers.

Thanks fellas for the kind words. My wife and I do not have children so our pets are our kids. I know my dog's in a better place so that helps.

I'm sorry man. Losing a pet is hard, especially one you've had as part of your life for so long. :(

Damn dude. I'm very sorry to hear all of this. Being a HUGE animal (well, dogs only cause cats suck... but thats a whole other issue) lover I can only imagine how hard it has to be for you right now.

My best to you and your wife. Hang in there.

I believe in Heaven and I also belive in Doggie Heaven. I'm sure she is up there with here sister Cindy, running on the beach and drinking seawater that doesn't make her vomit. I know I will see her again someday. She was a wonderful dog and I'm so glad I got to have her with me for those 12 years.

It seems that the longer that we are with our "Friends" ,as my vet refers to them, the harder it is to say goodbye to them. The companionship that they provide is simply irreplaceable. I know that when I lose one there is an emptiness for a while and I miss things that were once annoying, like when he would knock the newspaper or magazine out of my hands and put a tennis ball in my lap, or the times when he would nudge my pocket when I had a dog treat in it.

I have three graves in my back yard, and they all overlook a lake where they used to play. I believe in doggie heaven as well. Here is a link to a poem about that. Rainbow Bridge

Thanks for sharing. You have to know that her last thoughts were of how happy she was to have had two great masters like you and your wife.

Oh, and also how she was still trying to figure out how to open the refrigerator.:)

Take care. I'm sure thinking of you.

Sorry to hear about your loss Fins. It's a tough time but just remember all the great times you had with her.

Its equivalent to losing a human family member, if not tougher.

Rainbow Bridge is such a wonderful poem and, being involved with rescue animals, it provides comfort when one loses a furry friend.

I wish you well during this time of grief.

Robbie

I dread the day we lose our pup. I really feel for you, they are a huge part of your family. Keep your chin up. Luna is in a great place.

You guys are awesome. Thanks again for the kind words.

I know Luna feels much better today that she has in a long long time. That makes me happy.

I cant remember the exact wording of what I read but it was to the extent that dogs only live for so long because they give so much to our lives in such a short amount of time that if they were to live as long as humans that the sadness of their deaths would be fatal to us.

Loving my dog as much as I do (he is almost 7) I can really see that.

Back