I am in LOVE! (with flying the Citabria)

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
This kind of fun should be illegal. Hell, it probably is in some countries.

I haven't flown a TW aircraft since 2009 or so, but it came back pretty quickly. And I love, love, love the Citabria. It feels to me like an airplane should feel. Wheel in the back, stick in the front, simple avionics and systems. It's visceral.

Today was just a measly 1.2 re-learning the steps of the Rudder Dance, followed by some basic turns, stalls, slow flight (not having flaps is, well, kind of nice, actually).

And then she taught me spins.

Oh. Wow. I've never done spin training before. Yeehaw! After the initial 'ohcrapohcraptheearthit'scomingrightatusjesus' moment I was like, "Yeah....this rocks. I feel like a real aviator. Not a pilot. But an aviator."

Instructor: "How was that?"
Me: "Uh...that was awesome! Can I do another one?"
Instructor, laughing, "Sure! Climb back up and do it again."
(Spin ensues)
Me: "Can I do another one?"

Next time we go up, it's going to be loops and basic aileron rolls.

Oh, and a word about VKX. It is an AWESOME little field. It's the kind of small aviation community that makes me want to buy a house within a block of the airport so I can hang out there all weekend with my grill and a canopy and just watch airplanes and BS with airport people.

So...I did pretty good. Doing the spins was pretty straightforward, and I got pretty smooth with the recovery and rolling out on the correct heading after a few tries. Still gotta get the sight picture right for the attitude to do a smooth 3 point landing, but the Citabria (this is the Bellanca 7KCAB variety) is a very forgiving little airplane. And despite the sluggish performance with two pax and 94-degree heat and humidity today, I don't think I've had this much fun flying in, like...forever.

Cannot WAIT to go up and do some REAL aerobatics. I may have found a new calling.

Did I mention I love that little airplane? I desperately want one now.

Yeah. Good day today.

I absolutely loved spins when I first did them, I think we did 9 of them before heading back, I wanted to do more.

I have been wanting to do some aerobatic training for so long now. I'm just scared I will get addicted and there goes my money!:(

I have been wanting to do some aerobatic training for so long now. I'm just scared I will get addicted and there goes my money!:(

Dooooo eeeeeet!

(that was for @Derg )

I don't think aero/upset training can ever hurt your airmanship. Expanding one's envelope of awareness is a good thing.

As for costs, yeah, flying is expensive, but it's all relative. I'll tell you this - it costs the same to rent the Citabria with an instructor that it does a really nice C172 or DA-40. And I can rent the Citabria solo once I'm signed off/checked out fully.

As for costs, yeah, flying is expensive, but it's all relative. I'll tell you this - it costs the same to rent the Citabria with an instructor that it does a really nice C172 or DA-40. And I can rent the Citabria solo once I'm signed off/checked out fully.

I was lucky enough to happen into sitting next to another Glider CFI at a bar while out of town a few years back. Who owned a Citabria. Wouldn't you know, a week later, I was getting a very awesome tour of NorCal...

Back