Hypothetical Question...

cj_78

I'm an OTS applicant that doesn't have a TOL/FOL but have a hypotheical question for the forum: Let's say I get to the Academy and don't like it or (god forbid) fail my pv. Will I get reimbursed to return to my home? I've read they only pay you half the travel once you arrive in town, then reimburse the other half after you leave the Academy.
Thanks for any answers.

If you fail, I doubt they will be paying for you to go back. I'm not 100% sure but they would have already wasted money to bring you there and would get nothing in return.

Let's think about this realisticly, at this point you would be a government employee on a travel status. If they are terminating your employment for what ever reason, you will get travel back to your duty station (at the least) or possibly your home. If you decide to terminate your own employment, I'm not sure how that would be handled. There are policies in place for this type of thing I just can't speak to the specifics, but I'm sure you aren't left out hanging to fend for yourself.

call one of these ladies and report back

Travel questions should be directed to Dana Holliday (405-954-2695) or Michelle Beltran (405-954-7274) in the Travel Office. Do not depend on hearsay or rumor. This could impact your pocketbook!

I'm an OTS applicant that doesn't have a TOL/FOL but have a hypotheical question for the forum: Let's say I get to the Academy and don't like it or (god forbid) fail my pv. Will I get reimbursed to return to my home? I've read they only pay you half the travel once you arrive in town, then reimburse the other half after you leave the Academy.
Thanks for any answers.

that's has to be one of the most odd questions I've read on there forums

To get this straight: You're worried about getting a few hundred bucks, after delaying your entire career and putting your life on the line?

The process and training is so long that you'd be much farther ahead (financially) if you went into something that made money. Heck, go work on an oil rig.

I paid for a flight from SFO-JFK just to make it to the PEPC, so you have to weigh the total investment post-Academy, to your worry of 1 reimbursement. (price of taking day off for at-sat, attending PEPC, quitting job, opportunity cost, value of the effort and stress of a new career.... this is worth tens of thousands)

i read on an FAA website that the average cost of training an ATCer is $75k (i'm guessing this is just Academy costs)

Thanks for any answers.

No. You are given a bag on a stick and a hat then they send you home. Better warm up you hitchin' thumb!

Ok, not really, but let's assume they don't, and I'll also assume you're driving. The amount I was given on my first per diem (1/2 of the total) was about 340 something. I spent $80-100 driving there. So I have 260 left assuming I don't spend it on something else. Even if they didn't you still have money left over.

Decepticons Assemble!
kh_decepgroupart.jpg

Back