Hurricane Ike

triple7

So, I am sitting here in my apt watching the news. I am in NW Houston and plan on hunkering down. Should be interesting from where I am. But, any other Jcers in Houston that evacuated? Galveston looks like the water is already flooding where there isnt a sea wall, and the storm hasnt even reached land yet. I was hoping to find a flight to work out of here for a couple days. Oh well.

So, I am sitting here in my apt watching the news. I am in NW Houston and plan on hunkering down. Should be interesting from where I am. But, any other Jcers in Houston that evacuated? Galveston looks like the water is already flooding where there isnt a sea wall, and the storm hasnt even reached land yet. I was hoping to find a flight to work out of here for a couple days. Oh well.

I grew up in Spring - lived close to Booger Red's and Wild Well Control.

Anyway, I was there for Alicia - a Cat 3 storm. It was impressive. Huge wind - the pine trees are pretty resilient. People on my street had some go through the roof. The rain was unbelievable - floods. Lots of tornados - make sure you have a battery powered radio and lots of batteries. Power was out for around a week - in August. Really hot. Had a huge BBQ after the storm passed - everyone in the neighborhood - grilling all the meet before it went bad.

It was an adventure during the storm, and kind of fun the first day after - like camping. Then, after that it just absolutely blew until the power came on.

Good luck and stay safe!

Just got the word I gotta go to Gulfport, MS tonight. Not in the path, but close enough to be under a tropical storm warning for the evening. Should be fun. Needless to say, my dispatcher is gonna be sick of talking to me.....

Yeah, flt ops at IAH stopping today around 2 until Sunday morning. I guess I am stuck here. Predicting 85 mph winds in my area. At least we wont have to deal with the storm surge they are gonna have in Galveston. I am taking bets on when the power goes out.

I'm based northeast but I live in Houston. I don't have to work til Sat, but I left yesterday just to make sure I could get out. The Delta flights to ATL were all packed, and Hobby was pretty busy.

I am sitting in Grand Rapids now. We were supposed to leave for Houston this evening and then continue to Tuscon, but we knew yesterday that wasn't going to happen since they announced that the airport was closing today. Just got the word that we are reassigned for some CLE and EWR flying for the next couple of days. Looks like it will result in a rolled day off for us since we won't get back to Houston until Sunday now. Oh well, that will help the paycheck. Stay safe down there everyone!

The hatches are battened down here in Humble... there's about a dozen or so Delta guys that live here/Kingwood area and we've all stayed home this weekend.

Look for us on our roofs on CNN ;) (kidding, no disrespect meant to the N.O. folks...although a FEMA Visa card could come in handy.....)

I am in Nashville on a trip. Wife and kids bailed out to Dallas for the weekend. Hopefully we will have a house to return to on Sunday or Monday.

You would not believe the line of GA waiting to get out of Hobby on Thursday around 6pm!

Good luck to everyone riding the storm out.

Its starting to get pretty windy where I am. Multiple cities flooded SE. This is pretty serious stuff. Everyone say a prayer for the Texas JC contingent.......And lets hope Geraldo gets out in one piece. Hes still down on the seawall in Galveston.

I was down in Kehma today at 3, its was pretty crazy, windy and the boardwalk was already under water. Right now it's about 730 and it's just a bit windy, but certainly to get worse. I'm west by the galleria area, shouldn't be too bad.

Here are a few pics from Kehma Boardwalk at 3pm. I'm watching video now and it looks a heck of a lot worse. None of this rain, it hasn't rained yet. This is all storm surge coming up the bay.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 41
Be Careful.

KGLS 130021Z 130024 04030G45KT 5SM -TSRA BKN030CB OVC050
FM0200 02045G60KT 2SM TSRA OVC015CB
FM0500 04070G90KT 1SM +TSRA OVC006CB
TEMPO 0507 VRB20KT SCT030CB
FM0700 22070G80KT 5SM -TSRA OVC010CB
FM1200 23050G65KT 4SM TSRA BKN015CB OVC040
FM1900 20040G50KT 6SM -TSRA BKN020CB OVC060

I live in Base Housing Northeast aka Deadwood aka Kingwood, and I'm very happy that my CLT turn today turned into a 40-hour overnight. I left my car in the garage and am hoping for the best for everyone down there. Be safe guys! :)

FM0500 04070G90KT 1SM +TSRA OVC006CB
TEMPO 0507 VRB20KT SCT030CB
FM0700 22070G80KT 5SM -TSRA OVC010CB

Kinda cool to see a textual description of the eye moving overhead and the wind shift that follows it. Good luck to everyone down there tonight...

How did everyone fare? Some trees down, leaky roof in my apt, and no power but other than that I made out ok on the N-NW side of town.

Still no power, no phone, but luckily no damage at the house. Neighbor didn't fare so well, took 3 trees and 2 are through his roof.

Thats good news for you! If you or any of your neighbors need any help feel free to give me a call. I am sitting idle in my apt not being flown this week. I have power and AC so if you need a break from the temps, or a place to shower and unwind give me a shout. I am up 45 on the north side. I dont have much but you and your family are welcome to it. I am going to PM you my number. The same offer applies to anyone else who reads this. Just shoot me a PM and ill do what I can.

Back