How To Use Flight Following In This Case..

flyguy969

I fly out of Northeast Philadelphia, here is my question: As a student I was told to always told to get Flight Following (and I always did) now when I would contact Philly Approach to request FF I always had a destination where I was going since I was a student. So I was able to tell Approach I am off from KPNE direct to KLNS (Lancaster) for example. Now, that I recently received my PPL say I was to simply so for a flight to take pictures over someone’s house. Well, what should I tell FF? What would be the proper way to request Flight Following since I would be taking off of KPNE flying 20 to 30 NM away then flying back? How should I word it to them? Thanx for everyone’s help
:confused:

You never NEED FF. You may need approach if your in thier airspace but if it's uncontrolled airspace you don't need to talk to anyone.

Just ask for flight following for a local flight. As you head away from the airport, if you get out of their airspace, they'll hand you off to whoever's working the area you're heading into.

Pick a navaid, fix, or a intersection near the intended spot you wish to photograph and request following out to that and back. For example, say you want to fly to the Montauk lighthouse on Long Island for photos. When you check on with App. tell them you are requesting flight following to CCC (calverton) which is a VOR on the east end of LI, that will get you within a few miles of your intended location (Montauk). If they request what you are doing once there state that you will practice some maneuvers and return to KPNE. The military files IFR like this all the time.

Our computer system knows where all fixes etc. are located, as long as you give me something near where you want to go I can provide the services you require.

Hope that helps...

Approach, AirCraftxxxxx, level 3000 vfr to the south, request flight following.

if they ask your destination just tell them you'll be manuevering off of or over such and such.

Although you said it has been cleared up for you, I'd like to add my experience.

I was fortunate enough (I think) to fly the editor of the Waterway Guide on a photo mission from Manteo, NC all the way down to Fernandina Beach, FL to shoot photos of just about every marina along the Intracoastal Waterway. Cities that we overflew included Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Hilton Head (who knew I'd end up living there 6 months later) and Savannah. I've since done some work up near Patuxent River NAS and Norfolk. The point being, I was flying circles between 800 and 1000 feet in some busy airspace. I made every attempt to stay on flight following the whole way, but there were times when I was outside or below radio or radar range. During those times, we just cruised about minding our own business. However, when we approached controlled airspace, the magic words were "XXX Approach, Skylane 36AF, VFR request". I guess when ATC hears that, they expect you to tie up a decent amount of time on the frequency, so they take care of the critical business before they get back to you. When they finally asked what we needed, we'd give them a detailed, but brief, run-down on what we were doing. "36AF is on a photo mission along the Intracoastal waterway, southbound below 1,500, would like traffic advisories and Class C transition (if applicable)." If they asked for more information, we would give it to them. On a couple of occasions when operating inland on the Savannah River and near Wilmington, they would have us report "on station" and again when ready to proceed to the next location.

The only problem I ran into is when operating within a mile of Wilmington's active and the editor didn't exactly know where the marinas were that he wanted to shoot. Trying to tell the tower controller that we really didn't have any idea where we needed to go next didn't go over too well. Moral of this story: make sure you know where the photo location is prior to taking off. Giving the controller references to prominent physical landmarks or a radial/DME off a VOR is your best bet.

Just remember, you can never give them too much information. Just make sure they solicit that information, so that you're not tying up the frequency.

TFaudree_ERAU thank you for help I appreciate it. That was another way to put it. So basically when I am heading somewhere just have some point, landmark or VOR. Gotcha!!!
:)

PS. Just tell them what you're doing. Never fails. For instance, I'm from the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area where I learned to fly. Anytime I wanted to fly up the eastern shore (say, to Ackomack or Tangier Island, or to go up to NJ to visit family) I certainly didn't want to take a single-engine piston airplane over the Chesapeake Bay with no option other than flotation devices. So whenever I called up Norfolk approach for either flight following (before I got my instrument) or for IFR clearance, I would request to "fly the bay bridge tunnel" to the eastern shore and then on course. They've never denied it. I like to always leave myself an OUT and I think they understand that. Plus if I did ever lose my engine over the bay it would be a kick-ass news story if I put it down safely on the (I believe...) second longest bridge in the world.

Moral of the story, if you can't think of a Correct way to phrase it, just put it in words. Controllers speak english too. : )

Happy flying!

Ok, so I know this sounds kind of NOOB but I've never flown into a class "C" airport VFR before... I know the rules about it but just to be safe, If I have flight following leading to the airport, will they clear me into the Charlie airspace like when Im IFR and hand me to the tower or do I request entry from the tower or what? Plz help or redirect me somewhere.:confused:

Being in contact with ATC clears you through Class C or D airspace, unless you are instructed not to enter. In my experience, they will just hand you over to Tower. If any of this is incorrect, please let me know :)

Back