How to make some money??? any ideas!!??

guido161st

Hello all-

I recently came into some extra cash and was thinking of buying myself a twin engine airplane. Most likely a seneca or something of that caliber. I have a couple questions..... besides leaseback- do you got any suggestions on how to earn a little cash to help pay for gas? I was eventually looking to start up a flight school. But that's after I build a little bit of clientel and maybe purchase a couple single engine planes. I'm majoring in business and I have a few good contacts. But for now I was really interested in some kind of contract flying- maybe mail or something of that nature. I'd love to have some kind of service like that. Is there somewhere you can bid for jobs? Anybody no how or who to contact to get something like that going? Any thoughts, or ideas would be much appreciated! P.S.... Please don't say the only way to make a million in aviation is to start with two million! If I had a penny for everytime someone said that to me- I'd already be a millionaire I know it's a tough business to make a buck in, im just looking for some ideas and thoughts!

Oh... thought I'd mention that I should have the plane around the end of Dec. If anyone is interested in some cheap multi-time or instruction feel free to shoot me any email guidowoods@yahoo.com --I'm in Phoenix, AZ

I'd probably be interested in the multi time but you'd have to come to Florida
smile.gif

E-mail if you go through with the purchase, and I'll take you up on the multi offer. I'd come to AZ also. I have an uncle that lives there and I'm only in Van Nuys (about 20miles north of L.A.).

[ QUOTE ]
. . .I was really interested in some kind of contract flying- maybe mail or something of that nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think there's much that you can do...that would be a 135 operation, I'm pretty sure...but if you meet the 135 minimums, there's no reason you can't be your own little one-man 135 operation!!!! You'd need to go through the same certification process that any 135 carrier would, but it happens!!!!

As far as the multi-time......hit me up when you get that aircraft!!! I may have to make a trip to AZ, if the price is right!!

It's not so easy to get "mail contracts". You and your airplane would have to be IFR Part 135 legal. That means 1200 hours total for you and gawd knows what you'd have to do to the plane....unless it was a previously approved Part 135 machine. Then....it's a highly competitive business with lot's of efficient competition.

I once knew a guy who had a Cessna 404 at Stapleton that did standby for the whole UPS feeder fleet....he'd fly extra volume or if another plane broke. Only time I've seen a one man, one plane, 135 operation.

Flight instruction and time building is another thing altogether. Very unregulated compared to Part 135. There are ways to do it where you could make some money. You'd need access to cheap gas and find a mechanic who will trade work for flying time.

If I came into some money the last thing I would do would be spend it in aviation. Buy some real estate and start collecting the rent $$$.

[ QUOTE ]
Only time I've seen a one man, one plane, 135 operation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it happens......and with alot more frequency than alot of people think. Here's one at one of the podunk airports here in TN.....

Cumberland Air Charter

There isn't really much extra that needs to be done to the aircraft in a single pilot 135 operation.....mostly inspections that need to happen with more frequency. Of course, you will run into competition from those big businesses that don't like the little guy....but that's the way it works!!

Sounds like a nice idea, But there really isnt alot of money in it. These business are business that are always hanging on thin threads and trying to cut corners. There are exceptions, but 135 isnt a big money maker at all, and alot of work to get started unless you buy a certificate from another place.

WOW- thanks everyone for your fast replies! Let me expand on a few things. The plane is pretty much mine- a few bugs in the paper work need to be worked out. It's a turbo seneca. It has a beautiful avionics package, the best I've ever seen for an older twin- and a cd player!! As far as those interested in cheap time- I can do that now. Only thing is that for insurance reasons- I'd have to be in the plane whether you need flight instruction or just want to build time.

As for the 135 thing- I meet all the requirments and so does the plane. I can get the 135 ticket fairly easy- it's just finding business that is tough! It would be a one-man operation. I'm not looking to make millions
smile.gif
right away. I'm just looking for a stepping stone to eventually have some kind of business in aviation. I know it's tough for the "little guy" to survive in this business- but I'm willing to give it a shot! I just read somewhere you can get some kind of contract services or something like that. What are some things I can do if I decided not to go 135? I know what the regs say- I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas. I'm leaning more towards opening a small flight school. I'd have such low overhead- with just a few students I'd be doin okay. Well thanks everyone for replying and I'm looking foward to hearing from you again- this site rocks

Kingairer that is "sweet" new avatar! Those poor folks in the rest of the country don't know what they're missing
tongue.gif

"I just read somewhere you can get some kind of contract services or something like that"

I never heard of that but let us know what you find out.

'I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas'

Well....you could always do "mile high club" flights. Especially if you were around Vegas....

[ QUOTE ]
As for the 135 thing- I meet all the requirments and so does the plane. I can get the 135 ticket fairly easy

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? There is no such thing as an "easy" 135 ticket. Have you actually spoken to someone at the FAA about this? Taken a look at the paperwork required? Gotten a quote for commercial insurance? Do you understand the additional mx required under 135? Do you have an 8410? Are you ready to take a 135 ride with the feds? I’ll bet it would take at least a year to get a 135 certificate from the SDL FDSO.

Edited under the commercial solicitation clause. text sent to webmaster for review, and possible reinstatement.

Hi again-

Well I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with part 135 but it is fairly easy to get a single pilot, single plane operation. You don't need a director of maintenance or chief pilot and there are a few other things left out. I agree that if you are operating on a larger scale it becomes more difficult. I actually can go either route. I know quite a few 135 operators- I have the single pilot one pretty much lined up- it takes less than a month. Otherwise I can stick it out for the large scale ticket- which usually takes 6 months to a year! Thanks again for replying

SIngle pilto 135 is pretty easy and cheap ( by comparison) the marketing of your aircraft and services is the issue and I have no good suggestions.

Just be sure to keep every record exactly the way the FAA wants it. get a gig or two on your first visit, then the next visit will be sooner and then if you are not at 100% the next sooner and so on so on......

Single pilot 135 is a lot less paper work, you don't need a training manual for example.

However, I still have not seen it done in less than 90 days. The big time waster seems to be getting the aircraft 135 current, doing a conformity inspection and having the FAA come out and approve it. It usually takes more than one trip unless you just bought a brand new 182 or something.

Back