How to know if you are a legacy pilot the day you start class.

Ian_J

Hubschrauber Flieger
This is a PSA for career changers, new pilots, or anyone just thinking about getting into the industry. You might read some things on various online outlets suggesting that if you get hired at a wholly owned regional you are working for the legacy parent on day one. This is a handy checklist to find out if that claim is true for your airline of choice. This doesn't only apply to legacy passenger carriers - it applies to any legacy cargo, LCC, or standalone airline who might have wholly owned regionals, a flow arrangement, a guaranteed interview arrangement, or a cadet-style hiring practice.

1. The first couple days of class the union (if you have one) will introduce you to your carrier's contract. If your contract only covers your regional and is not the same contract the parent company pilots work under, you are not a legacy pilot the day you start class.

2. The first couple days of class HR will have you sign up for the company's 401k. If you are not receiving something north of a 12% direct contribution without a requirement for you to contribute while the parent company pilots are enjoying that direct contribution, you are not a legacy pilot the day you start class.

3. The first couple days of class you will probably bid for an aircraft and a base. If the only aircraft available to you have 76 seats or less, you are not a legacy pilot the day you start class.

4. The first couple days of class you will have access to your seniority list. If it doesn't include all the pilots at the parent company, you are not a legacy pilot the day you start class. Furthermore, if you are hired at Regional Air today, and I am hired at Legacy Air tomorrow, you are not a legacy pilot the day you start class if when you flow to Legacy you are not a higher seniority number than I am.

Regionals are a wonderful place to start to get experience in the industry, but make no mistake, wholly owned or not, they are a line item on a balance sheet if things hit the fan. Make your regional choice based on a variety of factors that work for you. A wholly owned could indeed be the right move for you, but please go into it with your eyes open.

And just an aside - the word "Legacy" was used a lot above, but please look into LCCs as an option. Their pay can be great, their 401ks often come very close to matching the Legacies, quite often movement is quick and an upgrade made quicker there can outpace earnings at a place without such quick movement, and quite often, their contracts and work rules surpass the legacy airlines.

A note to military helicopter pilots. Part 121 training statistics show you are dead even statistically when compared to other trainees when it comes passing initial part 121 training. These statistics also show you have a slightly better rate of completing training in the syllabus footprint without needing extra periods when compare to other trainees.

Like I said, this is just a PSA for those who need to hear it.

Last edited:
This is a PSA for career changers, new pilots, or anyone just thinking about getting into the industry. You might read some things on various online outlets suggesting that if you get hired at a wholly owned regional you are working for the legacy parent on day one. This is a handy checklist to find out if that claim is true for your airline of choice. This doesn't only apply to legacy passenger carriers - it applies to any legacy cargo, LCC, or standalone airline who might have wholly owned regionals, a flow arrangement, a guaranteed interview arrangement, or a cadet-style hiring practice.

1. The first couple days of class the union (if you have one) will introduce you to your carrier's contract. If your contract only covers your regional and is not the same contract the parent company pilots work under, you are not a legacy pilot the day you start class.

2. The first couple days of class HR will have you sign up for the company's 401k. If you are not receiving something north of a 12% direct contribution without a requirement for you to contribute while the parent company pilots are enjoying that direct contribution, you are not a legacy pilot the day you start class.

3. The first couple days of class you will probably bid for an aircraft and a base. If the only aircraft available to you have 76 seats or less, you are not a legacy pilot the day you start class.

4. The first couple days of class you will have access to your seniority list. If it doesn't include all the pilots at the parent company, you are not a legacy pilot the day you start class. Furthermore, if you are hired at Regional Air today, and I am hired at Legacy Air tomorrow, you are not a legacy pilot the day you start class if when you flow to Legacy you are not a higher seniority number than I am.

Regionals are a wonderful place to start to get experience in the industry, but make no mistake, wholly owned or not, they are a line item on a balance sheet if things hit the fan. Make your regional choice based on a variety of factors that work for you. A wholly owned could indeed be the right move for you, but please go into it with your eyes open.

And just an aside - the word "Legacy" was used a lot above, but please look into LCCs as an option. Their pay can be great, their 401ks often come very close to matching the Legacies, quite often movement is quick and an upgrade made quicker there can outpace earnings at a place without such quick movement, and quite often, their contracts and work rules surpass the legacy airlines.

A note to military helicopter pilots. Part 121 training statistics show you are dead even statistically when compared to other trainees when it comes passing initial part 121 training. These statistics also show you have a slightly better rate of completing training in the syllabus footprint without needing extra periods when compare to other trainees.

Like I said, this is just a PSA for those who need to hear it.
In elite colleges, "Legacies" are guys like GW Bush who got into Yale through a combo platter of "gentleman's Ds" and grandad's contributions over the years. No doubt, "Legacies" are important; Their families' contributions literally created the endowments that keep the whole system going so it can occasionally graduate a true scholar and continue to market itself as "elite". Still... if you are one of those actual scholars, you'll probably have to take a part time job slinging hash in the chow line at the cafeteria to support your undergrad experience. Act accordingly. Carry on.

Last edited:
In elite colleges, "Legacies" are guys like GW Bush who got into Yale through a combo platter of "gentleman's Ds" and grandad's contributions over the years. No doubt, "Legacies" are important; Their families' contributions literally created the endowments that keep the whole system going so it can occasionally graduate a true scholar and continue to market itself as "elite". Still... if you are one of those actual scholars, you'll probably have to take a part time job slinging hash in the chow line at the cafeteria to support your undergrad experience. Act accordingly. Carry on.

Would you do a brother a favor and perhaps try a milder edible? Sheesh.

This post reminds me of back in my colgan days being at a party in NYC and getting introduced to another young pilot- who told me he works at "United"

... "oh cool! What plane are you on!"
..."CRJ200!"
... "I don't think United flies those"
...."They sure do!"

@Dacuj

44D3C9E6-F9F0-4EEC-B4BB-422E8096621E.gif

This post reminds me of back in my colgan days being at a party in NYC and getting introduced to another young pilot- who told me he works at "United"

..."CRJ200!"
...."They sure do!"
They -should- be.

Not one more seat, pound, jet, or job.

..."CRJ200!"
...."They sure do!"

I had a “Delta” captain pick up on my wife a few decades ago.

”What do you fly?”

”ATR”

I have heard of Delta pilots in the Jet Lag Club in Narita that fly the CRJ.

“How many fuel stops is that?”

I had a “Delta” captain pick up on my wife a few decades ago.

”What do you fly?”

”ATR”

Kinda like those CA's that hang out at NJC events and tell FA's they are International Captains.... :bounce:

Back