How to get to a FedEx feeder?

• Thread starter Thread starter Roger, Roger
  • Start date Start date
R

Roger, Roger

So what does one do to get one of these cushy FedEx caravan gigs I keep hearing about? I know the basics... 2000 TT plus all the other 135 IFR mins. If, say, a guy had 2000TT with the most recent 800 of that being 135 VFR AK high-performance single time, and, say, a current IPC, would that be attractive?

Not looking to bail from the current gig right now, but trying to think slightly longer term.

You apply... Seriously I haven't heard that they were that exclusive to get into. I know a couple guys from WestAir and they really just have to be hiring at the time.

I applied, got an interview with no internal recs, and ultimately got hired.

like anything internal recs helps, but not 100% necessary. persistance helped a lot I think, because at first I didn't get the job, but i kept applying and eventually got the job I wanted w/o another interview.

I didn't have any internal recs either, but one of our current pilots knew a guy who knew me and when asked about me put in a good word. I saw the job on climbto350 actually and applied through there, I guess paying for that silly site was worth it.

I think you would be pretty competitive with previous 135 experience. The only thing is timing. Some of them are hiring right now (WestAir, Empire and MAC) others like my outfit (Baron) are full up.

Thanks guys. Sounds like, were a guy like me interested in that, it wouldn't be too hard assuming hiring is happening. Just need that last 811.5 hours. Sooo... One year on the line in AK.

As a general rule, I've found that the closer your experience (and location), the better. I got hired out a baron to fly a mitsi because I was in the right place. Out of the mitsi into the 99 because I had the right experience, etc etc etc. If you want to fly a caravan 135 cargo in Boise, fly a caravan 135 cargo in Boise. Failing that, fly cargo. Failing that, fly in Boise. Failing that, fly a caravan. You get the idea.

Thanks guys. Sounds like, were a guy like me interested in that, it wouldn't be too hard assuming hiring is happening. Just need that last 811.5 hours. Sooo... One year on the line in AK.

Are they going to put you on the line?

In one year I did 900 hours and 1,700 landings. My first and only summer months were 100, 130, 130, 120 hours. Something like that.

Are they going to put you on the line?

In one year I did 900 hours and 1,700 landings. My first and only summer months were 100, 130, 130, 120 hours. Something like that.
The idea gets tossed around every once in a while. I suppose I could always take a page from Boris' suggestion and fly a caravan for The Other 135 Operator.

Don't think I want to work for them though.

Those other guys aren't too bad. I'd take the caravan over the big 6 in a heartbeat anyway, but probably take the 6 over the 207 depending on what gets offered. Just keep networking and be aware ML will know.

From what I got from talking to pilots at Empire, they love Ak guys/gals cause they know how to deal with weather.

From what I got from talking to pilots at Empire, they love Ak guys/gals cause they know how to deal with weather.

When I spoke with the Chief pilot at empire he also said that he loves NW pilots as well for the same reason.

It would be nice if someone would make a list of all the Fedex Feeder operators. I can start with a few:

Empire Airlines
West Air
Mountain Air
Corporate Air

(I know there are several more!)

It would be nice if someone would make a list of all the Fedex Feeder operators. I can start with a few:

Empire Airlines
West Air
Mountain Air
Corporate Air

(I know there are several more!)

Wiggins
Baron

I know there are more too, I saw it on a wiki page a few weeks ago

check out corporate air their hq is in billings, mt they fly 208's all over the us and last i heard they were hiring. they also have some shorts and briziallias around too if you need total time

Mountian air cargo is hiring ATR FOs but there site says 1500tt is that required? I assume it is because the planes are owned by FedEx...

At Empire it is 1000tt for an FO spot. And you are correct. It is because FedEx owns the planes, so they can tell the operator what the minimums are. I think MAC and Empire can raise the minimums above what FedEx wants, they just can' lower them.

Back