How to get out of flying

cmill

Cold Ass Honky
Well, I guess the time has come and I'm looking to get out of flying. I have around 6k hours, and can list chief pilot and check airman on my resume, for whatever thats worth.

I currently have no degree, and plan on going back to school. I plan on going into finance, and it doesn't really matter what degree I get, i just need to get one. I'm trying to get out of this as cheaply as possible, so I'm looking at an aviation degree from UVU since they'll credit me hours for my licenses, and my previous credits will transfer.

If im reading correctly I'll get 30 hours for my certificates, and I have about another 40 that will transfer.

Has anyone else gone this route? I know an aviation degree is pretty much worthless, but all i need is the piece of paper.

Well, I guess the time has come and I'm looking to get out of flying. I have around 6k hours, and can list chief pilot and check airman on my resume, for whatever thats worth.

I currently have no degree, and plan on going back to school. I plan on going into finance, and it doesn't really matter what degree I get, i just need to get one. I'm trying to get out of this as cheaply as possible, so I'm looking at an aviation degree from UVU since they'll credit me hours for my licenses, and my previous credits will transfer.

If im reading correctly I'll get 30 hours for my certificates, and I have about another 40 that will transfer.

Has anyone else gone this route? I know an aviation degree is pretty much worthless, but all i need is the piece of paper.

Dude, send me a message on FB I have a solution for you. Seriously man, I've had similar thoughts along the way but things are looking up.

@cmill

As someone who is just getting into civillian aviation at the ground level would you mind relaying why you are getting out? So i know what im getting myself into?

@cmill

As someone who is just getting into civillian aviation at the ground level would you mind relaying why you are getting out? So i know what im getting myself into?

It's just burn-out for me. Theres no way to really describe the feeling of having a such a passion for something, and thinking that you're in a position to really make a difference; to be in on the ground floor, and be one of the good guys, only to be undermined every step of the way.

There are plenty of great people in this industry like @ppragman but there are even more crappy people in this industry that will stab you in the back the first chance that they get.

Sorry to hear that, I felt the same way you did about 3 years ago. What kind of finance are you looking into?

It's just burn-out for me. Theres no way to really describe the feeling of having a such a passion for something, and thinking that you're in a position to really make a difference; to be in on the ground floor, and be one of the good guys, only to be undermined every step of the way.

There are plenty of great people in this industry like @ppragman but there are even more crappy people in this industry that will stab you in the back the first chance that they get.

Thanks man, but what can we do to keep you in? Why not go seasonal? You've got the float time to spend the winters screwing off in Argentina and the summers flying Turbine Otters up in AK? I could put you in touch with some other people.

Why do you want to? Never understood why some pilots took it personally when someone wanted to get out of professional aviation. Sounds like the man is ready to bail.

I don't take it personally- rather I've known this man for around 5 years or so and remember how much he enjoyed flying in the past and am hoping to help him out. He's my friend and I'd like to see him prosper. He's a good pilot, smart, and nice guy - frankly he's the kind of guy I want in the industry. If he's ready to bail, that's his choice, but if there's something I can do to make life easier or better for someone, I'm going to try to do it, it's not about me.

I got out of flying once. Came back after a year. You might try a major change of scenery before pulling the trigger for good.
This is very good advice. I've gone down a number of roads and always ended up back working at the airport.

Try something out. Love it, then leave it.

The important thing is to be happy in whatever you do. If being happy means getting out of aviation, then so be it. I know a few who got out of professional flying who chose to keep flying as a hobby instead. To each his own.

Hate to tell you, but if you're looking to get away from crappy, petty, backstabbing people, the financial services industry is NOT the place to be. In fact, it's pretty standard workplace behavior anywhere.

Have you looked into working for Airport Ops? I got a tour of MSP one time and they guys seemed awesome as did the job. You can always go work for the FAA too and try to make the industry better. I know a lot of people might look down on FAA guys, but many of the ones I met are just trying to keep the ridiculous pilots out of aviation as you'd be amazed at the stupid • people will attempt to do. I would love to see some of the shady companies and management get investigated as I've been asked to do quite a bit by my chief pilot at a company I worked for briefly and if I hadn't liked a lot of the people in the company I would've been happy to document it and submit it to the FAA. I hear horror stories from some of my friends that were low timers and how pressure from management nearly ended their career and to have someone that understands that could hopefully make a huge difference.

I'm sorry you had a bad time with things. There are a lot of • organizations out there, but if you're not chasing money you can have a lot of fun along the way and work with good people. My current gig's really helped me get an idea out of what I want in aviation and it's so nice living without drama and not having to deal with jerks at work that it would take a lot of money or a change in living situations to pry me away for it for at least a couple of years.

Back