How soon to apply?

JakeH

In your experience, when should you start applying to dispatch openings? I will be finishing my 4-yr degree in May, and completing dispatch school in mid July. Should I begin applying now, or would it be best to wait? Would an airline even consider my application at this point? Thanks in advance for any input.

Best to wait until you have your license, or are at least in school for your license.

Gotta be careful here. Most applicant tracking software like my nemesis Taleo are preprogrammed to automatically kick out resumes from people that say you don't have a dispatch licence, or that have my Name on them.

So, you can get around this by saying Yes I have it since ther is normally not a in school button. Then I would put pending, school name, graduation date further in the application.

The problem with that is you have now "lied" on an application to trick the system. Different companies handle this differently. You could get super anal company a that throws the book at you for lying on an application and thus you burn that bridge.

Most hiring managers get it and will understand, but honestly it's a risk not worth taking in my opinion.

MT, that is exactly the dilemma I have. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels contempt for Taleo. I definitely don't want to "lie" and make any HR people angry, so I suppose I should just wait... or only apply with non-Taleo-powered companies. Thanks for your thoughts.

I heard 9E gave out section 8 housing applications to its dispatchers.......red flag I think!

Yup, it's true! They indeed did give out applications for section 8 housing......great company huh? Take a pay cut, newbies start out at $12/hr and now, let's move to MSP, where it cost more to live than MEM!! It's a nice big way to screw your employes with a smile!!

Pinnacle is a ship that has sunk and hasn't hit bottom.

In your experience, when should you start applying to dispatch openings? I will be finishing my 4-yr degree in May, and completing dispatch school in mid July. Should I begin applying now, or would it be best to wait? Would an airline even consider my application at this point? Thanks in advance for any input.

Questions to ask yourself....

1) Do you have experience in aviation?
2) If you do the 5 week program, do you have $4500-6500 to spend?
3) Are you willing to live anywhere?

It doesn't matter where you go to school, what matters the most is what your learned in school and if you can to the job. Most of the stuff you learn in school you will NEVER learn again.

As in regards to applying, most airlines/companies want to make sure you have your ticket in hand before you have an interview.

Yup, it's true! They indeed did give out applications for section 8 housing......great company huh? Take a pay cut, newbies start out at $12/hr and now, let's move to MSP, where it cost more to live than MEM!! It's a nice big way to screw your employes with a smile!!

Pinnacle is a ship that has sunk and hasn't hit bottom.

I heard 13.10. It's very possible to live in MSP on that.

9E may be a cluster right now, but this move is a great opportunity to turn the company and culture around. You can attract talent to MSP. Not so much to MEM. As an outsider, I'm excited to see if they can do it.

I'd honestly rather live in MEM than MSP but that is just me!

Questions to ask yourself....

1) Do you have experience in aviation?
2) If you do the 5 week program, do you have $4500-6500 to spend?
3) Are you willing to live anywhere?

It doesn't matter where you go to school, what matters the most is what your learned in school and if you can to the job. Most of the stuff you learn in school you will NEVER learn again.

As in regards to applying, most airlines/companies want to make sure you have your ticket in hand before you have an interview.

It may not matter where you go to school but I believe Sheffield better prepares you. With that said, I would wait until half way thru school before you apply - most companies take 4-6 weeks (or longer), it's rare that it is less than that unless they are hiring.

Back