How many “qualified” candidates have been referred?

bimmernerd

I've been lurking around here for a few months and needless to say, there is a wealth of information to be had on these forums.

Just the same, there isn’t too much floating around on here to hint at the employability of “qualified” candidates. I didn’t score well on the AT-SAT and I’m really not expecting to referred, but I’m curious how many of you in training, or those with a final offer letter in hand, were referred with a “qualified” score. I’ve read of a few being skipped over and seem to think their qualified score had something to do with it. Others seem to think that anyone with a passing score on the AT-SAT will likely be referred.

It’s been brought to my attention that having an instrument rating may increase my chances of referral as it’s listed under the “basic qualifications” section of the application questionnaire, but I’m still not holding my breath.

I’m sure there are a hand full of other qualified candidates on here that would like to know the same, so any insight that could be brought to the matter would be greatly appreciated.

someone out there will correct me if I'm wrong, but i read somewhere the referral lists are automatic based upon whether or not you selected areas with a need. i don't think it's until the panels that cuts are actually made.

Re: How many “qualified” candidates have been referred?

Like ohioaviator said, someone posted that the referral lists are automatically generated based on AT-SAT score and the need for controllers in the states you chose. Not everyone makes it on to a referral list, including some well qualified applicants, so I think it really does depend on where you want to go.

Oh and edit your signature... it's "enroute" not "in route" :whatever:

Like ohioaviator said, someone posted that the referral lists are automatically generated based on AT-SAT score and the need for controllers in the states you chose. Not everyone makes it on to a referral list, including some well qualified applicants, so I think it really does depend on where you want to go.

Oh and edit your signature... it's "enroute" not "in route" :whatever:

Naturally. :crazy:

That makes sense I suppose. Perhaps there's still hope.

It would be great to hear from "qualified" candidates that have make it to OKC or the ones that are still in the process and have actually gotten a FOL :) I got an 81 on my AT-SAT hopefully the fact that there is a demand for controllers will help us get selected :)

Re: How many “qualified” candidates have been referred?

It would be great to hear from "qualified" candidates that have make it to OKC or the ones that are still in the process and have actually gotten a FOL :) I got an 81 on my AT-SAT hopefully the fact that there is a demand for controllers will help us get selected :)

I don't think we have any "qualified" FEBOTS who have made it through to a TOL, but there were "qualified" applicants from 2007 who made it.

Who knows? I'd like to think so. We're not, not qualified.

There may be a few FEBOTS with a qualified score out there somewhere with a TOL. Again, who knows?

I'm more curious how one ends up with a TOL for somewhere totally random not listed their geo prefs.

If the referral list is generated from the test scores and the locations you selected, then how have people been referred to X state when they had an A score and states Y and Z selected.:confused:

On the flipside, I have been told by a controller who was looking into the process for his son that the FAA has received so many applications that they can afford to be more picky, particularly in a higher demand area. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but you'll probably need to take the AT-SAT again next year if you don't get picked up on an announcement with a qualified score.

On the flipside, I have been told by a controller who was looking into the process for his son that the FAA has received so many applications that they can afford to be more picky, particularly in a higher demand area. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but you'll probably need to take the AT-SAT again next year if you don't get picked up on an announcement with a qualified score.
That sounds about right. The hiring pool is jam packed with candidates, if you're not "well qualified" your chances are slim..

That's the impression I've been left with. Who knows? All one can do is keep applying and try again next year if you didn't produce a well qualified score. At least I know what to expect this time.

If I'm referred, it will likely only be because of my pilot ratings. I was under the impression that the FAA doesn't care if your a pilot or not, but we'll see.

I'd like to see all of us make it, but that's just not how the cookie crumbles. :)

That's the impression I've been left with. Who knows? All one can do is keep applying and try again next year if you didn't produce a well qualified score. At least I know what to expect this time.

If I'm referred, it will likely only be because of my pilot ratings. I was under the impression that the FAA doesn't care if your a pilot or not, but we'll see.

I'd like to see all of us make it, but that's just not how the cookie crumbles. :)

Having your ratings does seem to ease the training process from what I understand. I don't have any clue if the washout rate is any different, because obviously there are some who just aren't cut out for the job. But those who I have talked to say that those with some aviation experience tend to get through the basic training easier, because many of the concepts (IFR procedures, Wx, flight plans, etc.) are review, provided you haven't picked up to many bad habits.

Having your ratings does seem to ease the training process from what I understand. I don't have any clue if the washout rate is any different, because obviously there are some who just aren't cut out for the job. But those who I have talked to say that those with some aviation experience tend to get through the basic training easier, because many of the concepts (IFR procedures, Wx, flight plans, etc.) are review, provided you haven't picked up to many bad habits.

I've heard the same. An aviation background not only offers you more concept knowledge, but would ease you into the whole communication aspect of the job as well, and save you from having to learn a lot of the radio terminology involved.

Again, I've received mixed input on the validity of prior aviation experience, but I certainly can't hurt any. I just have to hope there is reason enough from them to look at "qualified" applicants.

If you have a qualified score then don't be bummed. I imagine everyone will be offered a job, it just might take longer for the qualified ppl to get picked up. The FAA needs A LOT of ppl in the upcoming years and it isn't like half the country is trying to get this job. Hang in there.

I currently have a friend that is attending the academy. One of the thing I have heard, if you have a pilots license (Private, IFR, commercial, etc.) forget what you have learned, but I have heard that it kind of helps. I dunno.I was also told that any aviation background works. Who knows? My friend is a "qualified" applicant going to hawaii.

If you have a qualified score then don't be bummed. I imagine everyone will be offered a job, it just might take longer for the qualified ppl to get picked up. The FAA needs A LOT of ppl in the upcoming years and it isn't like half the country is trying to get this job. Hang in there.

Not every one will be extended an interview. There were several thousand Feb.applicants...There were only 900 applicants processed between the three PEPC for FEB. applicants. Not sure how many went the non pepc route.

Won't happen. As long as they keep posting PUB announcements there will be more people falling into "well qualified" status pushing the qualifieds even farther down.

I actually have a friend who works at the NY ARTCC, so I'm looking for a referral possibility, it's all about who you know right :rawk:

I actually have a friend who works at the NY ARTCC, so I'm looking for a referral possibility, it's all about who you know right :rawk:

Unless your friend is part of the hiring process for ZNY its not gonna matter much. You could ask your friend to speak with the hiring manager, I actually know the guy if you want any info PM me.

Back