How long for SSRI deferral?

Cdg121990

Hi All,

Approximately how long is it taking to obtain a medical for previous use of SSRIs, assuming you end up with a special issuance at the end?

Should I be expecting 2+ years?

Thanks.

A long time. A pilot I know is going through the same thing right now. Submitted all the paperwork to OKC, was told "a few weeks" and then "any day now". Few months later the FAA gets back to him with... request for more tests and doctor stuff. Still pending.

Hi Cdg121990,

It really depends on a lot of different factors. I would say SSRI deferrals are some of the more difficult to get a read on as far as disposition. You said previous use, so I assume that means you aren't taking presently and haven't been for the last 60 days.

The FAA actually has loosened up a bit recently on the following reasons for SSRI use: bereavement, dysthymia, adjustment disorder, and use for smoking cessation. These can all be issued by the AME without deferral if the SSRI use was less than 6 months and the airman has been off for at least 90 days.

For cases outside of these parameters it will need to go to the FAA for review. They will typically request treatment records and pharmacy records. If the case is reviewed in Oklahoma City it will take as long as it takes for the reviewers to look at your situation. Right now with low staffing that could be awhile.

If possible I would call your regional flight surgeon office and see if they would be willing to review your case. If so find out what documents they require and get them emailed over ASAP. Sometimes that can speed things up.

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Hi Cdg121990,

It really depends on a lot of different factors. I would say SSRI deferrals are some of the more difficult to get a read on as far as disposition. You said previous use, so I assume that means you aren't taking presently and haven't been for the last 60 days.

The FAA actually has loosened up a bit recently on the following reasons for SSRI use: bereavement, dysthymia, adjustment disorder, and use for smoking cessation. These can all be issued by the AME without deferral if the SSRI use was less than 6 months and the airman has been off for at least 90 days.

For cases outside of these parameters it will need to go to the FAA for review. They will typically request treatment records and pharmacy records. If the case is reviewed in Oklahoma City it will take as long as it takes for the reviewers to look at your situation. Right now with low staffing that could be awhile.

If possible I would call your regional flight surgeon office and see if they would be willing to review your case. If so find out what documents they require and get them emailed over ASAP. Sometimes that can speed things up.

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Thank you for the guidance and info! Much appreciated.

Back