How long does it take to get all the prerequisites to a professional pilot career?

inspiringpilot96

Hey guys. My question may be hard to predict because it depends on how things go in the future, things changing in the aviation industry, the job market, pilot shortages, etc. I'm looking into flying in the airlines or any other pilot careers,. I'm 21 and going to college soon and beginning to work on very important things like getting a full time job, getting my own apartment and my own car. I feel like I have started these things a little late.

Looking down the road, I won't be able to actually start flight training in the near future because I will be handling college and bills. Likely, I'll be starting after I have my degree in which I think will be in maybe 5 or 6 years. That will put me at age 25 or 26. If I become an engineer, it will still take some time to get those licenses and ratings. I read that it takes 15 years to qualify for a flying job. Is this correct? That would put me at age 41 where majors won't look at me because of my age and little experience.

I can qualify for the active duty and reserve GI bill but I'm not sure if I should use that towards my degree(mechanical engineering). I'm in a dilemma on that because I love both aviation and engineering and want to work out having all the prerequisites along with having my degree. I've looked at loans but I don't want to end up getting in debt. I've looked at those academies and schools where they fast track you to an airline career but they are too expensive. I've looked at the military but as a current enlistee in the Air Guard, I'm not interested in being in the military any longer. Do I have any other options? Are there certain grants and scholarships I can pursue for flight training? If I do go to one of those fast tracking academies using loans and end up with a career, will I be able to pay it back?

Last edited:
You can, if money is no objective, "qualify" for a flying job in less than 6 months.

From there you would be paid to build time to the 1500 hour requirement that you need before going to any airline in the US. That would take another 1 to 2 years. So with that time frame, you'd be at the airlines in 2.5 years from starting.

With that said, don't go in to debt to get to the airlines.

You can, if money is no objective, "qualify" for a flying job in less than 6 months.

From there you would be paid to build time to the 1500 hour requirement that you need before going to any airline in the US. That would take another 1 to 2 years. So with that time frame, you'd be at the airlines in 2.5 years from starting.

Thanks. Are you referring to an academy? Paid while building time?

Thanks. Are you referring to an academy? Paid while building time?

No he is referring to getting low time flying job such as flight instructing, aerial survey, jump pilot, or part 135 FO jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro tip keep expenses low. Live at home or with roommates. Either bike to work, take public transit or drive an old beater car (mine now is 23 years old).

Don't be afraid to go in to debt if you don't have any additional if you are dedicated to paying it back quickly. The interest won't be significant. Don't over spend on your ratings but I would definitely value time over money at this stage. IMO.

I am trying to get my commercial license right now and I am almost 28. And there are many much older than me that made the switch from well paying careers to get into the airlines. I wouldn't sweat the age thing.

Get your degree, maybe work part time or full time at an airport to start getting familiar with the language and people already in the industry. When your ready to start training, you will have a pretty good idea what to expect by then.

I would avoid getting into too much debt and running after the zero to hero programs.

My instructor always says flight training is always a little bit more money than you have. But if there is a will, there is a way, and if you get into a little bit of debt, then just realize it's for your future career.

Pro tip keep expenses low. Live at home or with roommates. Either bike to work, take public transit or drive an old beater car (mine now is 23 years old).

Don't be afraid to go in to debt if you don't have any additional if you are dedicated to paying it back quickly. The interest won't be significant. Don't over spend on your ratings but I would definitely value time over money at this stage. IMO.

This, don't be afraid of debt, get your degree done, try to knock out a Private Pilot's license while working on your degree if possible. Then go from there. Having no debt after school is great but if it takes you an extra 3-5+ years to do so, that could be a million dollar loss by the end of your career.

If you do have to get a loan, shop around for it. This is true for just about any financing your going after. But with students loans the terms will vary by a huge margin from loan to loan and could cost you a lot extra if you pick the wrong one.

Why are you going to get a degree in mechanical engineering if you're just going to turn around and become a professional pilot? Does that make sense to you? Are you thinking you are going to have to be an engineer for the "15 years" that it takes to become a professional pilot?

I can understand desiring a degree in hard science, because it is much more broad, and is an excellent way to become a critical thinker (except for biology, you just memorize stuff for that one). Engineering is a skill set, and a degree in engineering prepares one to become an engineer and not really anything else.

If your career goal is to become a professional pilot, then getting a 5 year engineering degree is going to inflict a lot of intense, unnecessary pain in your life, and there is a great probability that you will not have the motivation to complete that degree. YOU'RE ALSO DELAYING THE VOCATIONAL TRAINING THAT YOU NEED TO GET THE CAREER THAT YOU SAY YOU WANT. If you are the type of person (as I am) that really has a yearning for a tough STEM degree, get a 4 year degree in physics or chemistry or math while you work on your flying at the same time. This way, you come out of college with an excellent head on your shoulders and the vocational skills necessary to hold a flying job that pays the bills and lets you work up to the golden ticket job. You pay for college and most of your living expenses with your GI Bill. You pay for your ratings with whatever wages you can scrape together. As has been said, with the way the aviation work force is structured, value time over money.

Oh yeah...And stay in the reserves for medical benefits and to fund your flight training. I have really good friends who are stepping out of military aviation making 120K+ and stepping into a better paying airline job, and they're pulling out all the stops they can to get a Guard job just so they can keep medical benefits. I know you can't see it as a 21 year old. I sure as hell didn't, but it is THAT IMPORTANT.

Last edited:
You said that you don't want to stay in the Military but that would honestly be the best and cheapest way for you to get all your ratings with the least amount of debt. Why not apply for a guard slot? You are young enough and with your prior service you'd have a leg up on the competition. Once your in the guard and things are moving along at a snails pace, you can use your GI bill to work on your degree. Then in say 4-7 years you have all your training and a degree and zero debt!
I wish, I wish, I wish, I could have got into a military flight program when I was your age. Yeah, dealing with the military bs can be a pain but paying 50K (maybe closer to 100K) to be a flight instructor for 18k a year ain't pretty either! Suck it up and do it, 10 years will be gone in a blink of your eye! Let them pay for it, Trust me!

You said that you don't want to stay in the Military but that would honestly be the best and cheapest way for you to get all your ratings with the least amount of debt. Why not apply for a guard slot? You are young enough and with your prior service you'd have a leg up on the competition. Once your in the guard and things are moving along at a snails pace, you can use your GI bill to work on your degree. Then in say 4-7 years you have all your training and a degree and zero debt!
I wish, I wish, I wish, I could have got into a military flight program when I was your age. Yeah, dealing with the military bs can be a pain but paying 50K (maybe closer to 100K) to be a flight instructor for 18k a year ain't pretty either! Suck it up and do it, 10 years will be gone in a blink of your eye! Let them pay for it, Trust me!

This, and prior mil still has an advantage in the majors. It's more like 100k and for crying out loud , don't do ATP or some accelerated course unless you're ready to eat, crap, dream, and breathe this stuff. You don't want to have 5+ failed checkrides from some puppy mill BS outfit and explaining why you busted.

Yeah, the military has BS but so does the civilian world. Namely, Sallie Mae and her ilk. Avoid student loans. The payback isn't worth it. Had I done it all over again I'd have gone mil.

Thanks a lot. I have considered the Guard as well as the Reserve but there are some negatives that turned me away. I'm not trying to be too negative, but its hard to predict the numerous and unknown hurdles that comes with going down the Guard/Reserve pilot route.

I dreamed of flying fighters for as long as I can remember until I came to the realization that they don't get as much flight time as heavies and tankers do(in the guard/reserves). So I wouldn't be competitive enough for a good flying job unlike heavy pilots

I think its also too risky to get into a c17 unit and then the unit changes their airframe which I heard they do all the time. If I was flying c17s one day, that unit may move on to RPA's and my flying dreams are over.

I have thought of Active Duty which is a better route but its very hard to get a flight slot that way. I'm a confident person but its risky wasting time doing ROTC and then get kicked out over messing something up and flunking field training.

No he is referring to getting low time flying job such as flight instructing, aerial survey, jump pilot, or part 135 FO jobs.

How long would it take to get a good job going this route?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How long would it take to get a good job going this route?

This, and prior mil still has an advantage in the majors. It's more like 100k and for crying out loud , don't do ATP or some accelerated course unless you're ready to eat, crap, dream, and breathe this stuff. You don't want to have 5+ failed checkrides from some puppy mill BS outfit and explaining why you busted.

Yeah, the military has BS but so does the civilian world. Namely, Sallie Mae and her ilk. Avoid student loans. The payback isn't worth it. Had I done it all over again I'd have gone mil.

Rodger Wilco also suggested the military. In my response, I mentioned the risks with flying in the Air Force. If I consider the military, do you think the navy is the better option? It seems to me that would be since it is primarily made up of fixed wing aircraft more so than the Air Force, which is increasingly buying unmanned aircraft and their units change aircraft.

Thanks a lot. I have considered the Guard as well as the Reserve but there are some negatives that turned me away. I'm not trying to be too negative, but its hard to predict the numerous and unknown hurdles that comes with going down the Guard/Reserve pilot route.

I dreamed of flying fighters for as long as I can remember until I came to the realization that they don't get as much flight time as heavies and tankers do(in the guard/reserves). So I wouldn't be competitive enough for a good flying job unlike heavy pilots

I think its also too risky to get into a c17 unit and then the unit changes their airframe which I heard they do all the time. If I was flying c17s one day, that unit may move on to RPA's and my flying dreams are over.

I have thought of Active Duty which is a better route but its very hard to get a flight slot that way. I'm a confident person but its risky wasting time doing ROTC and then get kicked out over messing something up and flunking field training.

A couple of ideas. Right off the top, ask yourself why you want to fly in the military. If it's because you want to serve (read 'sacrifice for') your country then continue. If it is to get competitive for a civilian flying job. Don't continue. You've seen behind the curtain so you know what I'm talking about. I'm not going to act like I think you're going one way or another, because I don't really know anything about you.

Second, I know one would think that a job flying a KC-135 or KC-10 or C-17 would make one more competitive than a fighter, but it's not. Fighter is usually the faster track to the legacy airlines temporally. I have no basis of experience when it come to why or whether that's fair, but I have a ton of friends with right at 1500-1800 hours of fighter time getting the calls at the legacies. Guys with 1500 C-17 hours are not. You can look at it from any perspective you like or read into it whatever you want, but that's the evidence.

Third, on the other side of THAT coin, if you go to a heavy platform, you'll make 750 total time sooner, and a regional will soak you up with that in a heartbeat. Combine a regional paycheck/flying with a Guard paycheck/flying, and you have a good income, and a fulfilling life while you're waiting to gain the experience required for a major/legacy to call.

Rodger Wilco also suggested the military. In my response, I mentioned the risks with flying in the Air Force. If I consider the military, do you think the navy is the better option? It seems to me that would be since it is primarily made up of fixed wing aircraft more so than the Air Force, which is increasingly buying unmanned aircraft and their units change aircraft.

Fourth, the Navy is a majority helicopter pilots. You get very little say in the matter of which platform you get. Even if you are near the top of the pile that week in Primary flight training, if there just isn't a jet slot that week, there just isn't a jet slot. The Air Force is paying the butcher bill BIG TIME right now on their decisions to grind their winged aviators up in the UAS meat grinder. It is bloody. They need people like crazy. They recently revealed their long term get well plan, and I'll bet that not turning unwilling F-16 pilots into UAS operators is probably in there.

My Supreme Internet Advice is still to stay in your current guard job, and do what you need to do to get a degree and civilian flight time at the same time, but you do you. If you stay Guard, get your degree and and some civilian flying experience, you're way closer to 'getting promoted from within' the guard and racking up turbine time with them. You're also way closer to a civilian flying job whether you fly Guard or not. You also have health insurance and whatever vocation they've given you.

Last edited:
If you don’t want to sacrifice time for your country then don’t serve. It’s a good way to get flight training covered but you will have much more on your plate besides flying. You will be an officer, a leader and at times flying will be just a collateral duty. The military does not care about your path you have laid out for yourself, you will be on their program and that will be guaranteed until you separate.

One of my biggest pet peeves of civilian pilots and just people in general is them saying... “You’re lucky you didn’t have to pay for flight training, I knew I should have joined the military when I was younger”. My default response is always .. “But you didn’t, you obviously didn’t want to sacrifice the time to serve your country so stop talking about how lucky I am to have the GI Bill, because the Post 9/11 GI bill didn’t even exist when I signed those papers to go to boot”. That gets a mixed response of course.. lol

It seems your mindset has solidified that you will be doing it the civilian way, which I’m sure is a scary thought at times with the cost of training. Try not to get to hurried in debt because those banks won’t care during the next downturn when you’re stuck at a regional for over a decade and owe them 100k. It will be a time vs money opportunity cost situation for sure, best of luck

Last edited:
It’s not 100K even at those big box schools. ATP advertises 70K from zero to hero. I highly doubt you’ll spend an extra 30K even if you have to repeat some training.

https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/
I know a few people that went the ATP route and are now in the majors 8 years later. If you can handle the constant aviation I would take the ATP route after getting the 4 year degree.

Back