How I ended up at Ari-Ben

glenko

Just thought ide let everyone know why I chose Ari-Ben. First I recommend to tour all the flightschools you consider going to if possible.

Toured Flightsafety and was completely sold. Have always wanted to go here but ultimately did not for a couple of reasons.
1.The fact ide have to wait up to one year or more to instruct. Once you are able to instruct unknown how many students you get and how many hours you get on a monthly basis. I am 34 years old and don’t have time to sit on my ass for so long.
2.The cost. I am a VA student so cost isn’t as much of an issue for me as someone else. That being said though when you factor in the cost of having to move somewhere else to instruct that’s a price I’m unwilling to pay. I don’t want to have to stay in the area and work at Home Depot to make ends meet. (nothing wrong with working there but not for me)
3.Not as much multi-time.
4.ASA pretty much dead now. Liked the program when it was going on and was a reason for me to attend FS.

Pan Am
Did not even check out other than driving by. After hearing about all there problems plus the fact that many former students now attend Ari-Ben. The place sure looks nice and new. Plus the payments for all those nice new air-conditioned planes. Can you say out of control overhead? I heard they pay $ 60,000 a month just for rent to the airport. Who do you think pays for all that? Ari pays $6000 a month. Admitting Ari’s place is not pretty but who cares. It is functional and that is all that matters.

Comair
Took the tour and was not impressed. There was a kid just out of high school and his parents asked if college was important. They told them he could fly the RJ without having the degree. That may be true but I did not like the way he answered the question. He seemed very evasive the whole time and only told you what he wanted you to hear. Another reason not as much multi time. They kick you out after 800 hours as an instructor if you are not hired yet.

ATP
Did not tour but looked into. I think they are a good school but do not like the accelerated pace. My learning curve is a little slower than that. Good multi-time but do not accept VA bennies. More expensive than Ari Ben.

Overall, I did some very serious research and decided Ari-ben would be best for me.
I called Mike and told him I was in the area touring schools. He said no problem come on down when your done. He was the only school that didn’t bash others. He said they were all good schools and you were going to be hired once you reach the minimum hours no matter where you go. Talked to former students and they said they would do it again in a heartbeat. The planes are not the prettiest but maintained well and safe. The amount of multi hours, price, acceptance of VA bennies, and instruction opportunity sold me.
grin.gif

Thanks that was a nice post. I am also a VA guy. Haven't heard anything bad about Ari Ben I'm looking forward to visit the school. Ken

Hi Ken, that post you replied to is pretty old, but it has some good reasons in there. I'm here now at Ari-Ben and chose it for several reasons myself, one of which is that unlike a few others I talked to, they were willing to do a finish up on my private here and I didn't have to go and buy a bunch of cross-country time or do it in a Cessna (can't wait to do cross-country in the Duchess!) before starting, nor did I have to pay an outrageous "pre-flight training fee" to make sure I was okay to have my PPL if I'd gotten it before going to one particular school.

So far here I've gotten my PPL (about a week before Christmas) and I've gotten back and tomorrow is my checkride for multi-PPL, then I'm right into instrument and on from there.

Hope you enjoy your visit when you get to come!

Hi Catherine , I have a question for you.
I hear the schools is going to full PART 141 soon.
Any idea if there will be a change in price or a change
in the hours involved. Thnx

I hear there are some changes, mostly that the pro course will be offered complete 141 with some solo time in the Duchess more similar to the VA program, but that there will be some more cost involved. No details yet that I've heard nailed down....and everything is subject to change :)

Back