How hard is it to get in?

ahmed

Hi,

I was looking on Purdue's website but I couldn't find anything regarding admissions criteria. How hard is it to get in for aviation? I'm deciding between AFROTC or NROTC because Purdue has excellent detachments for both branches.

Have you considered majoring in something other than aviation? Honestly, an aviation degree is pretty worthless except for the ability to "check the box" saying you have a college degree on airline applications. Ask yourself this...if you lose your flying job due to a furlough or loss of a medical, what are you going to do to pay the bills? Its much better to have a degree to "fallback" on. Contrary to what the glossy purdue brochure tells you, you don't need to major in aviation to become a career pilot. Go to school for a different degree and fly at the FBO at the purdue airport on your own time and own schedule.

Collegeboard.com is an awesome site in the sense that it provides you with more information than you ever wanted to know about a particular college. If you go to the student section-->find a college and type in purdue, it will give you tons of facts.

Hope this helps!!

Robbie

I think it's hard for the people on here to judge that, given we don't know what your extracurriculars are, etc.

Have you considered majoring in something other than aviation? Honestly, an aviation degree is pretty worthless except for the ability to "check the box" saying you have a college degree on airline applications. Ask yourself this...if you lose your flying job due to a furlough or loss of a medical, what are you going to do to pay the bills? Its much better to have a degree to "fallback" on. Contrary to what the glossy purdue brochure tells you, you don't need to major in aviation to become a career pilot. Go to school for a different degree and fly at the FBO at the purdue airport on your own time and own schedule.

I have never understood the whole "don't major in aviation, its a terrible thing to do" speal. Besides something that requires extensive training like engineering, what job could you really not get that you could with another bachelors? Personally i think aviation is a much better major than something like business or management, which every kid seems to be majoring in these days.

3.3/1900 sounds pretty good. As far as SAT's go, add up your math and crit reading and if you're 1300 or above you should be set. If you can pull up the GPA

I got in 4 years ago with somewhere around a 3.5 or 3.6 with a 1130 on the old SATs so I think you should be close. I had a lot of extracurriculars too so I'm not sure how much weight they put on that.

Went to Daniel Webster instead though. Actually put in an app for CFI at Purdue the other day.

Thanks for the help everyone.. I hope I get accepted because they have a great AFROTC det

I have never understood the whole "don't major in aviation, its a terrible thing to do" speal. Besides something that requires extensive training like engineering, what job could you really not get that you could with another bachelors? Personally i think aviation is a much better major than something like business or management, which every kid seems to be majoring in these days.

It isnt about that, what are you going to do when you get f-ed by an airline someday? What if (knock on wood it wont happen) you lose your medical and cant fly? Better to have something marketable outside of aviation than strictly an aviation degree. Not to mention you pay 4x as much for the same ratings you could get at the local FBO.

I don't know, majoring in aviation allows me to deduct every hour I fly as an education expense since I'm working on my 250 hour requirement for commercial....turns out flying is actually ~20% cheaper.

Also, it's not as challenging as most other majors so a lot of downtime to do other stuff such as work, volunteer, and extracurricular activities.

My professors have hooked me up with people that might have a job for me when I'm out.

Opportunity to get free type ratings via scholarships (can't wait to apply for these, need CFI).

Government loans going to flight, cheaper than private loans.

:) carry on

PGT:

What if (knock on wood it wont happen) you lose your medical and cant fly? Better to have something marketable outside of aviation than strictly an aviation degree.
Aviation degrees are pretty worthless. Furloughed from an airline? Who will a company choose? The finance major that has been interning at a Fortune 500 company for the past two years? Or an Aviation Mgmt. major who has absolutely no work experience in the field that they are applying for?
Its your life.. Do what you want.

PGT:

Aviation degrees are pretty worthless. Furloughed from an airline? Who will a company choose? The finance major that has been interning at a Fortune 500 company for the past two years? Or an Aviation Mgmt. major who has absolutely no work experience in the field that they are applying for?
Its your life.. Do what you want.

I have a few backups, don't worry about me :)

Back