How far will a King Air Glide?

I have never flown a king air but I do know that twins drop like a rock even when both engines are idled. I thought it was a bit weird that every twin I have ran into the manual doesnt really go into emergency procedures for both engines out. It is like they assume that to be an impossibility for both to die... Fuel starvation isnt, and what about volcanic ash? (volcanic is for is for us Alaska and Hawaii fliers) Is there no published glide speed or ratio for both engine out? really if there isnt there should be. I suppose what I would do is decrease a percentage (by about 80%) to my TOD single engine (referring to my performance chart of course) and using those numbers just factor in your density altitude and weight change and for glide distance just factor in the headwind or tailwind component. You should get a rough number.

oh and you know what else I might refer to? (you might have to go through the manufacture for this) but the L/D max chart would be great for this question. Multi engine planes should have a published L/D max chart for both engines, single engine, and no engine. That way we can see how much lift to drag we loose and gain with a loss of an engine or two. I am sure when both engines go out parasite drag brings the speed down to an equilibrium but then there is a **** load of induced drag produced because of the increase pressure lift load imposed on the wings, especially with you heavy loaded ****s.

Best Glide Speed in the 1900C was 125kts, we also had a memory item for volcanic ash since we flew down to dutch harbor all the time.

ha ha what was that "don't" :laff:

no really I am curious.:confused:

If I remember correctly it was something like:

engine anti ice - on
windshield heat - on
execute 180 degree turn

We also had a dual engine flame out check which was

Flaps up
Gear up
Props - Feather
Airspeed 125kts

I'm not an aerodynamics expert, but my understanding is that an airplane's best glide angle is based on the maximum ratio of lift over drag (L/Dmax). Since larger, faster airplanes are usually much cleaner aerodynamically than the trainers in which we all practiced engine-out glides during primary training, they can often have L/Dmax values that are significantly higher. Therefore, they can glide farther, which can be said to be "better." However, the kicker is that they often have to fly much faster than a Cessna or Piper to be at their best glide speed, so the descent rate ends up being quite high.

Again, not an expert on this so please chime in if I've got this wrong. :)

I dunno about a King Air but a Merlin doesn't glide for ####. Merlin's also don't have auto-igniters. The two facts are related.

Strange, the Merlin IV I flew had auto ignition and an override to on if you had super heavy precip.

=Jason-

my understanding is that an airplane's best glide angle is based on the maximum ratio of lift over drag (L/Dmax).

Correct. And since Lift is about equal to the weight of the airplane, the glide range depends on minimizing drag. Weight only determines the glide speed, not range.

Funny thing about this thread, I met a guy a few years ago, who I just found out had to dead stick a navajo in because some kid syphoned all the fuel out of his tanks when he went inside to fill out different paperwork, he said he just kinda guestimated his l/dmax and it worked out very well. He just made the field gear up, and no one was injured, lucky as hell.

I'm not an aerodynamics expert, but my understanding is that an airplane's best glide angle is based on the maximum ratio of lift over drag (L/Dmax). Since larger, faster airplanes are usually much cleaner aerodynamically than the trainers in which we all practiced engine-out glides during primary training, they can often have L/Dmax values that are significantly higher. Therefore, they can glide farther, which can be said to be "better." However, the kicker is that they often have to fly much faster than a Cessna or Piper to be at their best glide speed, so the descent rate ends up being quite high.

you got it! Exactly what I was saying!

I don't know about the King Air, but the BE58 Baron glides about 2nm/1000ft...the closest I've come to testing this out was feather one engine and sim feather the other...had about a 2-300fpm descent.

I believe you have this nailed. I think I remember hearing from a 757 sim guy that it was almost 6 miles per thousand feet for that aircraft, but happened at a very rapid speed. Maybe someone with 757 experience can confirm or correct this.

The King Air is roughly 12:1, or about 2nm per 1000 feet. The glide speed for the one I fly is 129-135KIAS, depending on weight.

I know a guy who lost his certificate in the early 1990's when he landed his 200 at an airport with both props feathered. The tower apparently saw it and called the FSDO on the field. Despite the fact that both engines were running and the landing uneventful the Feds felt that he exposed other aircraft and property to undue risk, should he need to perform a go around or if one failed to unfeather and result in an accident.

Ok, I have the answer: A King Air will glide all the way to the end of this runway! Thanks to Rainbow Air for giving us this demonstration.
DSCN0060.jpg

DSCN0061-1.jpg

DSCN0062-2.jpg

Back