How do you know if a controller reports you?

Flying Bison

I made a boo boo today coming into a tower controlled class D airport today. Controller said turn left, i turned right. Anyways, he spun me for another jet that was arriving off of the right downwind, he then noticed i turned right and said i need to call him when i land. I just want to know if theres any way of knowing if they file a report, do they need to tell you, or get any information?

All the controller said on the phone after our discussion was "thanks for calling" and we hung up. The guy is somewhat stubborn compared to the rest of the guys at this airport, and i just hope he doesn't report this.

well if you still have the number call up and ask. or ask to visit the tower and ask him face to face. i think the phone calls are taped so they might not want to say anything over the telephone.

If asked you give Name and certificate #, if/when they ask you what happened you say "I'm not prepared to discuss what happened at this time". You then file a NASA. You should be told up front if it goes any further.
Besides the worst thats going to happen is an Administrative Action. That doesn't go on any record, you don't have to tell anyone about it and after 2 years its gone. (Trust me, I know.:rolleyes:)

If asked you give Name and certificate #, if/when they ask you what happened you say "I'm not prepared to discuss what happened at this time". You then file a NASA. You should be told up front if it goes any further.
Besides the worst thats going to happen is an Administrative Action. That doesn't go on any record, you don't have to tell anyone about it and after 2 years its gone. (Trust me, I know.:rolleyes:)

so since the controller never asked me my name and cert. #, then it wont go any further than the phone call?

dont worry about it. just be a little more heads up from now on. its a learning experience. remember you want to learn something new every flight!

How could it?:)

It could go further. I filled out a report on a pilot who refused to give his proper name and information. We searched the aircraft N-number registry and used the information from that to fill in the blanks. The pilot believed he had been cleared to land by us in the tower when we undoubtably had known that he hadn't. He almost landed on a departing aircraft in the process. He was still on approach frequency and never switched over to us when told. He argued on the phone, was rude and gave us a false sounding name, something like bob white (although his last name did end up being White, so that helped a little). Not the best way to handle things when you're in the wrong...

HD

It could go further. I filled out a report on a pilot who refused to give his proper name and information. We searched the aircraft N-number registry and used the information from that to fill in the blanks. The pilot believed he had been cleared to land by us in the tower when we undoubtably had known that he hadn't. He almost landed on a departing aircraft in the process. He was still on approach frequency and never switched over to us when told. He argued on the phone, was rude and gave us a false sounding name, something like bob white (although his last name did end up being White, so that helped a little). Not the best way to handle things when you're in the wrong...

HD

well he never asked me for any information so im assuming it wont go further...i would nvr falsify information in a situation like this...great way to get into more trouble.

HD

In a situation like that, go get'em. I was merely commenting on the other guys story.

File the NASA report for sure. Maybe he didn't ask you for your name/certificate info, but with a few phone calls, he (or the FAA inspector taking the case) could easily find out who you are. It helps to have a good attitude and participate in the Wings program, or so I hear. You could get an administrative "letter of correction" or even a 15-30 day suspension (certificate action). It's really up to that inspector/FSDO what action they want to pursue, depending on the specifics of the case. Their goal is to secure compliance, so if a stern talking to over the phone accomplishes that, then perhaps it won't go any further, but then again you could be dealing with a dickhead. File a NASA report, cover your butt, learn your lesson, and move on.

so since the controller never asked me my name and cert. #, then it wont go any further than the phone call?

That is correct. No pilot number in the phone conversation means he only wanted to make sure you understood the mistake and strive to not make it again.

Back