How did you get to the airlines if you trained at an FBO?

Dreampilot

I would like to complete my training (PPL-CFI) at the local FBO while working full time. The flight school does not offer multi-engine. My question is how did many of you get to the airlines while in that type of environment. Did you pay for multi-time? Did you instruct somewhere else? I am curious because I want to know if I should go to a bigger school after my PPL which is almost done.

Thanks everyone.

Re: How did you get to the airlines if you trained at an FBO

I trained at a very small airport with one 3k foot runway. The flight school was just a small hanger with 2 planes, two desk and no twins. I used to walk around the airport scoping for light twins and I finally found a guy who gave me a great deal (only about $25 more per hour than the single) so I ended up doing the last 60 hours of my commercial in the twin and got a CMEL. Most airlines want you to have 100 multi but there are a few that will hire with only 50. I just got hired by a regional airline and start my training soon.

A lot of twinless FBO CFIs go to Ameriflight for twin time.

You can also try to find someone to split ME time too.

I knew a guy with an old Apache that just liked to fly it more if I paid for the gas. Got about 50 hours and that was enough for a light twin 135 job at Corporate Air. Went from 50 to 500 with them and moved on to Convair's but could have gone to the regionals. I went small school FBO, to small time independent CFI with flying club, to single engine 135 Grand Canyon tours, to 135 light twin freight, to 121 turboprop Convair, to UPS. Started flying in 1979 and hired at UPS in 1990.

My progression was Private, Instrument, Commercial Single, then CFI.

I started working as a CFI, and then knocked out the CFII. Only then did I do the Commercial Multi and MEI.

That progression worked out for me because I was able to fly for a living ASAP at that point.

Shortly after I got my MEI the twin went away with no real prospects of getting another soon. I then packed my bags and headed south and was able to instruct about 300 hours in a multi.

That's how I gots mine...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.830432,-86.284200

AF aero clubs, slowly worked up time ratings as $$ permitted and CFI for part-time work. retired from AF and now with a Regional, worked fine

PPL-CMEL done at my local FBO. Picked up a part time flying job at my local airport flying Piper Navajo's. Now im slowly bulding my time to move up to the big leauges

any place that tells you "if you want to go to the airlines, you "must" go here" is feeding you a pile of something! Get your ratings, build some time being a CFI and apply. If you feel you want the help of one of these places, go take a weekend course with them, or get one rating through them, and now your good to go.
The local FBO will save you a TON of money, and generaly makes you a more well rounded not just a CRM flying monkey-pilot.

Back