How can it be so cheap

Dreampilot

Hi, I was wondering why this school seems to good to be true. 200 multi hours for 32000. That just doesn't seem right. Could someone enlighten me.

I think it's because the time builder portion is split with another'
piolt( Safety Pilot time). The overhead of the school is low because of the simple facilities. It makes sense to me, why pay double for fancy buildings and million dollar sims. There is no subsitute to doing all your flying in the actual plane.

In the contract it stipulates that mike get's one of your kidneys when you complete the training program. He then sells this kidney in India for about $50,000. So you can see the real price is around $82,000. Don't worry though, you can still live on one kidney. Also Mike really knows what he's doing with the surgery, he has very steady hands. (sarcasm)

Seriously though, it's cheap because the operating costs are low. Most of these planes probably fly 18 maybe 20 hours a day. Our planes go down for hundred hours every couple of weeks. Also the BE-76s are not by any means new aircraft, safe but not new. I personally would like to get a little sim time though. I have zero hours in a sim, and would like to have a little time in sim for any upcoming interviews I recieve. As my Dad says, you have to learn how to fly a sim.

Sim time is priceless when learning instruments. I actually prefer a sim over the real plane when introducing the scan, radio navigation, and IAP's.

S.T.Aviator said:
. There is no subsitute to doing all your flying in the actual plane.

Disagree

Just about every job you apply for in avation is going to have a sim portion of the interview. Once you get that job ALL the training is going to be in a sim. You better get used to flying them when your not being evaluated on it. They do fly different.

But from what I hear ALL sims fly different....I've gotten to fly a few (non-logged) in some real ones and yes, they do take a bit of getting used to, but if you've flown sims on a computer at all, you already understand that it's not the real thing. The biggest thing to me that's different is the feel is missing. Even in a full-motion sim, without the feel, it's just not the real thing. Some are more sensitive in areas than the real thing or less. Depending on the quality and newness (is that a word? :) ) of the sim the view out of the window may look like FS95 or as good as what's out there now. Instrument only sims are yet another story, but probably aren't used much beyond Instrument training or refresher time. The F-14 sim I cracked up the plane once....pulling a high-g turn (no feel-have to watch the G-gauge)...otherwise it was a nice plane to fly...I especially like the ability in the plane to control your approach without changing your angle of attack.

Frankly for me and my time though, for now I can live with the real thing and some Flight Simulator 2004 on the side to get in some instrument practice (helped me for sure with hood time and I know of several others it has as well with other instrument maneuvers) as you can practice a higher workload and new tasks between lessons. But you have to fly it as close to the real thing as you can and keep yourself serious when you spend that time.

Catherine that's a great quote.

I think I've read everything Heinlein wrote, several times, and it never occurred to me to use that quote :)

Thanks...LOL....I was reading that book (actually for the first time!) the other night here and saw that quote and bookmarked it....I knew that had to be my signature! I love Heinlein's work....I've read most of them...still think I've got a couple more to go.

Back to the original question...it doesn't hurt that the cost of living/expenses in Fort Pierce are so cheap. I'm sure the lease/mortgage is cheap for the facilities.

Btw, does Marvin still have his sandwich shop in the back of the FBO? He made some great sandwiches!!

Back