How badly do you want to be an Army Aviator?

The only reason I was remotely okay with signing for my 8 years (for jets, which objectively costs way more than helicopter training) was that I already had several years in, and the obligation would take me to inside of a year of being eligible to retire. 10 years for helicopter training is going to go down in history as an all time bad idea.

They’ll get candidates for sure, especially from the enlisted ranks of other services. It’s all about timing, if my EAOS was 2008 or 2009 I would have done it, but with a mark on the record I wasn’t so sure I’d even get accepted. In 2012 things started moving, so I nervously took the civilian plunge. There’s no way I would have left a stable military career for a civilian career with no visible movement, GI Bill or no GI Bill most have families and need to see a sign of a stable future. Tacking on 4 more years is just their way of shoring up in the event of another upswing in the next 5-7 years. I think this quick downturn will also catch the attention of those that have options, and drive them in a different direction, I’m already observing that with a few people.

Last edited:
Not worth the headache, honestly.

I dunno. I like the idea and concept. I'm sure the execution isn't congruent with the reality, but it's still attractive flying to me.

But I'm too goddamned old and I'd probably die at MEPS anyway....

Skywest was one significant one, at least as I'm told (I'm not an RTP so I don't know firsthand). As I eluded to, I don't know if that means 100% stop, or if they will continue the folks already in various points of training. I'd guess they will, since the money is already spent....

Just before COVID my flight school was about to unveil a RTP program for guys separating from the Army and getting qualified for the airlines. We have a few ex-RW cats on staff and was supposedly going to be a great program. Shelved for now.

If I never see LA (Lower Alabama) ever again, I’m ok with that.

Love bugs — I mean, really, who comes up with that crap?!?

Does it apply retroactively to those who have already completed training?
No. You sign an agreement that reflects the day you graduate flight school. A boiled down dirty explanation: Enlisted soldiers/sailers/airmen and Marines, enter in to a contract, generally 4 years. Some more some less... so they know a termination date, or “obligation” date. This clock starts ticking the minute they entered boot camp.
As officers, we are given a service obligation, just like the enlisted folks, but the clock starts when we complete our school. For flight school, this could be close to 2 years of service already provided.
As we progress past that initial six years, we attend schools incur more “service obligations.” However... often they are served concurrently. Additionally when we are promoted we also have a service obligation. Basically if you breath, you have a service obligation.
There are complicated rules, which have mandatory retirement age, and even a weird one, that we can get called back to service before reaching a certain age, but there are a lot of boring details.

I smoked the FAST and aced the ASVAB (only 99/99 the recruiter had ever seen), had Associate Degree in Engineering, ASEL/AMEL Commercial and instrument, was current and proficient with over 500 TT.
Got rejected because I wear glasses. No waivers.
Yes, seriously, just because I wore glasses.
So I became an Airborne Infantryman instead. It was the only way I could get in the air. It was a great adventure. I learned a lot and I don't regret it at all.
Several years later, glasses were okay, but now I was 27 and the cutoff was 27-1/2 upon entry to flight school. No waivers, so, rejected again despite 300+ APFT every time, Expert Rifle every time, PLDC Honor Graduate, very experienced paratrooper, EMT license, and many, many, many years in LRS (Long Range Surveillance).
Several years later, they raised the age limit up to 32, but I was already 32. You guessed it. No waivers, rejected again.
A few years ago, the Army was desperate for pilots, so I tried getting an age waiver. I told them I'm not interested in Airlines and I'd like to fly for the Army until I'm 60 and aged out. They said no because I only had 12 years left until 60 and they wouldn't get a return on investment. Meanwhile, they keep sending 20-somethings to flight school who only do 6 years then get out to go to the airlines.
Army is retarded.
Stay far far away.
You have been warned.

Last edited:
I smoked the FAST and aced the ASVAB (only 99/99 the recruiter had ever seen), had Associate Degree in Engineering, ASEL/AMEL Commercial and instrument, was current and proficient with over 500 TT.
Got rejected because I wear glasses. No waivers.
Yes, seriously, just because I wore glasses.
So I became an Airborne Infantryman instead. It was the only way I could get in the air. It was a great adventure. I learned a lot and I don't regret it at all.
Several years later, glasses were okay, but now I was 27 and the cutoff was 27-1/2 upon entry to flight school. No waivers, so, rejected again despite 300+ APFT every time, Expert Rifle every time, PLDC Honor Graduate, very experienced paratrooper, EMT license, and many, many, many years in LRS (Long Range Surveillance).
Several years later, they raised the age limit up to 32, but I was already 32. You guessed it. No waivers, rejected again.
A few years ago, the Army was desperate for pilots, so I tried getting an age waiver. I told them I'm not interested in Airlines and I'd like to fly for the Army until I'm 60 and aged out. They said no because I only had 12 years left until 60 and they wouldn't get a return on investment. Meanwhile, they keep sending 20-somethings to flight school who only do 6 years then get out to go to the airlines.
Army is retarded.
Stay far far away.
You have been warned.

Sounds a lot like me to be honest. The Air Force told me no. . .Sickle cell trait. Went to the Army. 11B, prep school, West Point. Left West Point for the same reason. . .sickle cell trait. Can't fly. Fought that and won till I capped out on the age.

Passed that into others younger than I am. Many have been successful and are enjoying it.

I’ll be honest I stopped recommending the Active Army as an aviation program about 18 months ago to most anybody that asked me my opinion.

It’s usually a 3 step process of questions when they want to talk about it.

1. How old are you?

2. Do you have a degree or are you working too one?

3. Have you talked to your states Air Guard unit and/or the Air Force?

The Conventional Army is seriously making an effort at this point to be not only the worst option for the normal line of pilots in the military, but to be so clearly the leader in that category that the only thing in question is the sanity of those who remained but had other options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ll be honest I stopped recommending the Active Army as an aviation program about 18 months ago to most anybody that asked me my opinion.

It’s usually a 3 step process of questions when they want to talk about it.

1. How old are you?

2. Do you have a degree or are you working too one?

3. Have you talked to your states Air Guard unit and/or the Air Force?

The Conventional Army is seriously making an effort at this point to be not only the worst option for the normal line of pilots in the military, but to be so clearly the leader in that category that the only thing in question is the sanity of those who remained but had other options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No argument, but. . .you see that passion in their eyes. It's like. . it aint easy, but. . .

I always held on to the delusion that things would be better until it was too late. I can’t in good conscious recommend Army Aviation to anyone. But hey only five months to go until terminal leave.

I had my WOFT packet prepped and ready to drop. Went on leave, met a girl, it got serious, didn’t want her to be an Army wife. Really glad I dodged that bullet. Army aviation...not the girl thing. Married 14 years this October.

I had my WOFT packet prepped and ready to drop. Went on leave, met a girl, it got serious, didn’t want her to be an Army wife. Really glad I dodged that bullet. Army aviation...not the girl thing. Married 14 years this October.

The only reason my wife is still with me is because I promised her my entire pension and to live where she chooses.

Last edited:
Back