Holds

Can anyone tell me what is required in terms ATC communication during a hold.
I was always taught to call during entry/leaving with position, time, alt. But I was reading the instrument flying handbook and it said this was not required for holds under radar contact. The Jepp. book only lists them under radar/non-radar and makes no mention of requirements.
Thanks

I know I'm splitting hairs but, strictly speaking, no communication at all is REQUIRED when entering or leaving a hold.

The AIM (5-3-3) states that certain reports SHOULD be made to ATC including: "The time and altitude or flight level upon reaching a holding fix or point to which cleared." I had this same discussion about 6 months ago and I couldn't find anywhere that the regs REQUIRED a report when entering or leaving a hold.

Just to be clear, I'm not encouraging anyone to cease making their holding reports. I think they're a good idea just to make sure everyone's on the same sheet of music. I just want to point out that in the legal world there's a huge difference between "should" and "shall".

(I think your issue with radar contact vs. no radar contact has to do with position reports. I never saw anything in the regs which differentiated between holding while in radar contact and holding when not in radar contact).

Back