History: The last of the passenger service Professional FE's

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
An 2002 newspaper article on the retirement of the last Professional Flight Engineers (non-pilots) from American Airlines, when they retired their last 727-200s on April 30th of that year.

Interesting history.

Wednesday, March 6, 2002
As 727s retire, so do their flight engineers. Once crucial, they're being phased out

By KATIE FAIRBANK
The Dallas (TX) Morning News

Rich Royals remembers the days when it took several fuel stops for an airliner to reach its destination, airports had no security, and water lines froze on unheated planes.

Over 47 years at American Airlines Inc., he watched the airline industry change and monitored aircraft systems from a third seat in the cockpit on seven types of planes. Soon, though, American will retire the last aircraft in its fleet that holds a spot for him.

So, the 70-year-old professional flight engineer said he thinks he'll be retiring himself when American parks its Boeing 727s on April 30.

"Time moves on," said Mr. Royals.

He and other professional flight engineers are quickly becoming symbols of a bygone era: non-pilots flying in the cockpit.

In the old days, the flight engineer was often an airplane and power-plant mechanic who would perform maintenance on aircraft when they landed in small cities and far-flung locales.

"You were dealing with a different breed that [knew] the guts of the aircraft," said Allen Brock, one of the last 727 captains for American. "They were always the first person you saw, and they were tremendous people to work with, with great attitudes."

Today, flight engineers keep an eye on aircraft systems, including pressurization and hydraulics. But on newer aircraft, technology and automated equipment handle such tasks.

The trend toward using machines to do the flight engineer's job began in the 1970s when flight computers were introduced. Since then, they have taken over many of the duties that had traditionally fallen to the flight engineer.

Shrinking numbers

Airlines saw savings on weight and salary costs if they bought aircraft with only a two-person pilot crew and no flight engineer. Before long "three-holer" aircraft were no longer purchased.

"What it amounts to is economics. It is considerably cheaper to operate with two people instead of three," said David Dean, a senior career counselor at Air Inc., an Atlanta-based company that specializes in pilot career consulting.

Now that older aircraft with three seats in the cockpit are rapidly being retired, flight engineers are bordering on becoming anachronisms.

About 20 years ago, flight engineers made up about 25 percent of the flight crews, while pilots were the remaining 75 percent.

Retiring planes, people

The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks brought a steep decline in passenger traffic. Many carriers downsized their fleets, reducing the number of older jets and flight engineers even further.

"Now it's 1 or 2 percent,"

Executives at Continental Airlines Inc. and United Airlines Inc. phased out their three-seat aircraft in October. United saw a number of flight engineers retire then.

About 250 to 350 flight engineers with pilot credentials had to retire because they were too old to work as captain or first officer.

"They're all gone. All those pilots were retired as other pilots were furloughed," Mr Darby said.
Northwest Airlines Inc. also no longer has any professional flight engineers on its rolls. "We ... haven't had for some time," said spokeswoman Kathy Peach.

At Delta Air Lines Inc., professional flight engineers will have seats in 727 cockpits until the end of next year, when the Atlanta-based carrier retires the last of the aircraft.

Spokesman Anthony Black said there are fewer than 100 professional flight engineers and "most are above the age of retirement."

At American, only three professional flight engineers remain. Mr. Royals is 70 years old, and his two peers are 75.

Professional flight engineers have been able to fly for so long because the Federal Aviation Administration does not require retirement at age 60, as it does for pilots. Instead, professional flight engineers are allowed to fly as long as they pass their physicals and the company has jobs for them.

This is not the first time that the cockpit crew has been downsized. Navigators once were needed for long-haul flights, but progress eliminated those jobs as well.

"For years they said, 'You can't do without us. You'd get lost without us.' But of course, automation moved on," said Mr. Dean, who flew with professional flight engineers at United Parcel Service Inc. "The engineers are in the same boat. We'll see the engineers all gone at some point."

As one person after another loses a seat in cockpits, some pilots joke that they, too, are in danger of seeing their ranks decline.

Some day, instead of two pilots in the cockpit, they say, there will be a pilot and a dog. The pilot's assignment will be feeding the dog.

And the dog? Well, it's there to bite the pilot if he or she dares to touch the controls.

The departure of flight engineers and navigators shows that anything is possible. Only a few scattered passenger, charter and cargo airlines continue to fly with professional flight engineers.

"It's already very few," said Mr. Darby. "It's going to go away sometime soon."

RARE BIRDS

Flight engineers monitor electrical, hydraulics, pressurization, air-conditioning systems and engine indicators. They also keep an eye on engine performance while managing fuel burn and keeping log sheets.

Airlines' flight engineers:

Alaska: 0
American: 3
Continental: 0
Delta {lt}100*
Northwest: 0
Southwest: 0
United: 0
US Airways: 0
*Airline was not more specific

Last edited:
Curiously, were PFE's members of ALPA, for airlines that ALPA as their representation? Since they weren't pilots? Or were they members of IAM or something like that?

Our PFEs were ALPA, as we were at the time.

They were also on our seniority list in order of DOH.

Some airlines kept PFEs on a different list than pilots, even though they were in the same union. The PFEs kept longevity, but lost seniority, if they upgraded to FO

All FE's belonged to FEIA. That was their union. They were not pilots. There was a huge tadoo that started in the late 50's because ALPA wanted to represent the FE's and the FE's didn't want that. ALPA wanted to have pilots become FEs, existing FEs to be trained as pilots and the FEs wanted to stay non pilots with their A&P certs. The FEs position was that FEs did not need to be pilots. It came to a head at UAL because ALPA wanted the mandate that created Second Officers (pilots who were also FEs) position. FEIA fought this with the help of the AFL and AFL CIO to back them up. This went on for a couple of years. It was a mess with the two unions fighting. There were strikes by FEs prior to this and during at every major carrier. The same battle and issues was being fought at TWA, Eastern, American and Pan Am. I think that TWA settled first and the FEs would get pilot training. Eastern FEs bailed on that proposal though. Eastern brought in pilots to replace the FEs who went out on strike. A mediation board decided that ALPA would represent the FEs. Similar thing went on at Pan Am, all kinds of lawsuits, appeals, etc. were filed. Meanwhile a Commission that had been set up in either I think it was 1960 or '61, was pushing for the merger of FEIA FEs into ALPA. There suits by FEIA at American sometime in the 60's as well as they didn't want to merge with ALPA either. Around the same time some of the American pilots ditched ALPA and formed APA. So they had three union battles going on. Some carriers also years later when they were sued, allowed retiring pilots to retrain and become FEs as they could work then til age 70. I believe that Pan Am was the first carrier to allow this (along with the age limit raised to 70 for FEs back then) and UAL followed suit. So what finally happened with all the walk outs, strikes, law suits, appeals, negotiations, you name it, over several years is that most of the FEs finally caved because the ALPA members crossed the picket lines and carriers were sticking pilots in the FEs seats. So a lot of the FEs went for pilot training. ALPA won in the end, again also citing safety issues that FEs be pilots on certain types of aircraft in case both flying pilots became incapacitated somehow. The days of professional FEs as FEs only were numbered. So by the time I came on board in the early 70's most pilots started as as FE's (second officers) even though we were also pilots, then eventually progressed to First Officers. You still had some pilots who returned as FEs after retiring and FEs who stayed as FEs also who never wanted to become FOs. I believe UAL was the last carrier to have professional FEs only who were not pilots.

Last edited:
I flew from SJC to TUS on a United 727 in what must have been late 2000 or early 2001. Last time I ever flew on one, I have a photo of it somewhere around here.

I can remember running the sabreliner in A&P school for our turbines lab (located on the west side of SJC) and every time we did an airport ops person would come over and harass us about the noise (even though our lease said we could run turbine engines at idle thrust). One was yelling at us through the gate one day, but we couldn't hear her because the 727 taking off was so loud. ;)

Our school had one that United donated in 1991, N7015U, the 38th 727 built, there's an NTSB report out there about it, it had a rapid decompression when it was nearly new due to someone at the factory using a scribe to mark a line of rivets just ahead of the center engine inlet. We climbed on top one day and found the patch. It was scrapped in 2010, unfortunately, I have a row of seats in storage that I will turn into a really uncomfortable couch someday.

I miss having to stop class because a JT8D is at takeoff power outside, may they live forever!

Not that I'm a PFE, but since we're talking engineers... I'm happy I got the license and spent some time on the panel. I told myself when I got the job that I would do it for a year just to be able to say I did it. You talk about the last of the passenger engineer's, I'd bet when the day comes to interview at a big airline, I'll be one of the last engineers period.

Not only do I think it's a cool conversation point, but I learned a ton doing this. Compare 9E's CRJ systems to the level of understanding I have now...it's crazy.

I'm happy to be an FE, but I'm anxious to sit forward. Any day now it's coming, and with the new 121 rules I'll be getting a 727 PIC type; at 24, I'll be one of the last with that too.

Back