Hiller Down at KEAT

pnwchief22

I was out at the hangar yesterday and responded to a report of crash on the airport. From what I heard, the Hiller launched after it's trailer ride to KEAT; short time late the pilot was in a low hover and the main rotor gear box went south, rotor blades separated from shaft failure. No injuries. This guy knew something was wrong and made the right choice, returning to the taxiway.

The surprise was how far the rotor blades flew after separation, right toward the fuel island. Fortunate that no one was at the pump when it went down.

Last June, I responded on a fatal incident related to low level crop drying which involved an R-44 and 100 KV power lines. I never imagined, being a pilot, that I would see that much damage from a slow orbit.

Stay safe

This happened today? Wow, I'm on the ground here in KEAT area (drying in Malaga - across the river) and hadn't heard anything. Granted my orchards are dry right now since I'm awesome - and it hasn't rained on them yet - so I haven't been up/out today.

This happened today? Wow, I'm on the ground here in KEAT area (drying in Malaga - across the river) and hadn't heard anything. Granted my orchards are dry right now since I'm awesome - and it hasn't rained on them yet - so I haven't been up/out today.

The original post was MAy 26th.

All this rain really hasn't helped the orchards. I've heard from some that they are at an 80% loss. Hope they all had insurance!

The Hiller was memorial day weekend 2013; the other incident was in 2012....but yeah, lost a few cherries around these parts since Sunday

Back