Hi. Question! Given I just discovered this place...

MaRiO FDZ

JJ Abrams you Insensitive Bastard.
Hi. My name is Mario Fernandez, I'm a Corporate flyer out of MMAN. I ran into this forum via Google, and after reading a couple of posts I decided to join it, so Here I am.

Reason I ended up here is I was looking for some information on what happened to me the other day. I've been flying Cessna 414A's and 421C's now for 4 years, 500+ hours in those, plus 150 in King Airs. My predicament came in a 414A.

So After 2 legs this one day, and 30+ Flight hours after of an Anual Inspection, I landed and as usuall, after clearing the runway I did my after landing flow and checklist. I set my timer for shutdown, never less than 3 minutes. On this particular ocasion, I was parked real close to where I exited the runway, so I had 2 minutes to spare before shutdown. It was at this time I noticed the Manifold Pressure on the right engine was at about 23, while my left was at 12. Both RPMs were at 800, both throttle lever were together almost at the closed position, and the props both were full. I immediately checked for discrepancies in my engine gauges, but everything was ok. Pressures were normal, temps were normal. I glanced at the engine and the prop DID look weird, it seemed it was spinning much slower. I decided to add a little throttle to see what happened and slowly the Manifold pressure came back to 12 and the prop seemed to spin faster, yet there was little rpm increase. After another minute I shut down both engines.

So, while I got all things done to go back out for legs 3 and 4 of the day, I walk to the plane and find out my right engine is feathered. Crap. There go the day's remaining legs.

Long story short, I'm wondering if anyone had ever had a similar situation either in flight or on ground?? I know this is probably the Governor's doing - hopefully. I've been told it could also be he prop piston. If something like this has happened to you, how long did it take to get it completely over with??

Thank you in advance, happy flying and Take Care

Had a similar situation in a C340 (which had 335hp TSIO-520-NB engines and Q tip 3 blade props)
Left engine went to feather...right at rotation. The aircraft was brought right back around and landed immediately.
This airplane had a RAM VI conversion package which includes the installation of a RAM camshaft. Long story short the cam snapped right at the front gear wheel. We had to have the engine pulled and torn down to fix.

Short of that it could be a prop gov problem or possibly an oil feed problem. Did you check the oil levels on shutdown?

Bp244

Darn, that sounds terrifying. Were you anywhere near max gros?? Good to hear you landed back safely.

I did check oil pressures and temps, everything was normal. I was expecting a lenghthy repair, but Apparently it is something minor. Mechanic said the governor was not producing enouh oil psi for the prop to stay unfeathered at low power settings. We had work done on the governor and it is working now, took about 2 days. I'm keeping an eye out though.

Thanks for sharing

Take care

Back