Hi everyone!

voltage1256

So I'm still yet to have a definite answer on my color vision issue as far being an airline pilot and Im becoming a freshman this fall at ERAU for college. I've come up with an interest in Air Traffic Safety and Accident Investigation. Im thinking... I should switch my major to Air Traffic Safety and Minor in "Airline Pilot Specialty." This way I have a career choice Im gaining interest in and also while I work on my color vision issue, if it works out it works out and I can fly after all and if it doesnt... I havent wasted a year at college, and Im still focusing on one of my career choices. Just wanted some opinions... hopefully I posted in the right spot...

Best Regards, Jay

They have a major called "airline pilot specialty"? I majored in political science and the airline could've cared less if I did it in sewing. More power to you for going to college, you can never go wrong with getting your education. But I have to ask(because I don't know) does the FAA have a stipulation that you can't be colorblind to work as an crash investigator? I think you might want to look into that because you may be wasting your time if you can't be either a pilot or a crash scene investigator with those majors.

Just my thought is to major in something complete outside of aviation? It might work out better if you can get a job completely unrelated to flying if the industry hits a low(like it always does). Good luck either way.

Howdy!

If you're in AZ, make the trip down to PHX and see Dr. Forred about your color vision.

I have what I call B.S. color vision deficency... I can see just about every color on the spectrum, unless its a color vision test... and the airport that holds my FSDO hasnt updated their light gun in 30 some odd years so the green has faded white... its astonishing how such a safety regulated industry forgets a few things....

I have a minor color vision deficiency as well. I used to struggle thru the color tests at my medical exams, there were certain color tests I simply couldnt pass, & others that I could. Schedule an appointment with your local medical division/FSDO & go in & take a farnsworth lantern test for color vision if available. If you pass this simple color test they will issue you a lifetime waiver (for your color vision tests at medical exams) for your minor color deficiency & put the issue to rest for you forever. Your medical examiner files this waiver so it isnt an issue when you go in every time to renew your medical. This is what I did, worked well for me & hasnt been an issue since I had this done, best of luck to you

AK Bush Pilot,
First - if your handle is accurate thank you for flying in the best 'country' in the world. I've spent time from Sitka to Barrow to Adak and love every moment of it.

Be advised, as I understand it, the FAA will not issue an Letter of Evidence (LOE) simply by passing the FALANT. They used to, but no more. Now you'll be facing either the Occupational Color Vision (OCVT) test alone, or coupled with a Medical Flight Test (MFT) if you want to try for First Class. High stakes, tough standards for the candidates / applicants involved. I've replied to voltage another thread as I went through this process in 2010.

Mongoose

JML_20090822_0229.jpg

Back