HF Radio

Here's the key for you. The Caribbean is NOT one of these geographical areas! Ask your FSDO to define the precise Geographical Areas under this Reg. This Reg is one that was originally written for the ferry flights involving single-engine aircraft crossing the North Atlantic! Your POI is a tard (and yes, you can quote me)

Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean Sea, and the Atlantic Ocean west of a line which extends from 44°47'00" N / 67°00'00" W to 39°00'00" N / 67°00'00" W to 38°30'00" N / 60°00'00" W south along the 60°00'00" W longitude line to the point where the line intersects with the northern coast of South America

Our Caravan on floats is VFR only. No HF required for that plane for some reason.

This is our first time in the San Juan area with our Chieftain. I am getting so much conflicting info on this damn HF requirement it is insane.

Used to do VFR between San Juan, Tortola and Antigua all the time. Never needed a HF. Call BS. Make them prove it.

Our Caravan on floats is VFR only. No HF required for that plane for some reason.

I think the reason is because it`s VFR only, if you look at part of the regs, they are intended for controlled flight, either VFR on route (never saw any of that in the US) or IFR where you can loose range on route..is that C208 G1000, I know there is a conflict between G1000 and HF radios.

Our 208 is equipped with 530/430 stack.

I called our friend down there who operates 135 with a Chieftain and he said the PR FSDO would never make this requirement.

Well, after a call to the San Juan FSDO (who absolutely laughed at what the Farmingdale FSDO said), we will not be installing HF radio in our airplane.

Well, after a call to the San Juan FSDO (who absolutely laughed at what the Farmingdale FSDO said), we will not be installing HF radio in our airplane.
If you're still worried at all, write the chief counsel office and ask for an interpretation.

Back