Here's the scoop on the FSI waiting list...

CharlestonCFII

Here\'s the scoop on the FSI waiting list...

I just graduated FSI in two weeks ago. I came there with my private pilots license. I left with my Commercial Multi/Single Engine Instrument/ CFI/CFII ratings. I am going for the interview to be an instructor in February.
When I came to FSI, the marketing department sold me on the idea(as they do everyone else) that I would more than likely be able to instruct for FSI, build lots of multi-time, etc., etc., etc. That was a lie then, and is an even bigger lie now.
I have a few friends in the marketing department, (who I'll leave nameless) but they are still telling customers that the waiting list is only about 6 months long. They know it's complete BS, but they are in marketing and that helps sell the school.
Here's the truth: the list is up to 69 right now. That means that 69 people must get hired before I will get hired. That means that if they hire 5 instructors a month, then it will be 14 months before I can come back to instruct there. Guess how many instructors they brought on in the last year that I was there? Not more than 25! The reality is that the wait is closer to a year and a half to 2 years before I get called back.
And the ASA program? Another lie. They have a class right now that one of my friends is in. It is the last class that ASA started. He just found out that his class will not have a chance for a job flying the RJ until 2004. ASA led him to believe that in 6 months he'd have a right seat job.
So, am I telling you not to go to FlightSafety? Absolutely not. I think its one of the best schools going. I think the instructors there are some of the best in aviation. I am happy with my choice at FSI.
Just remember, FSI is a business, and they need customers, $50,000 customers, which is what you will end up spending there no matter what they tell you. Right now, with things as bleak as they look, of course it makes since for FSI to sell themselves to potential customers by promising you that instructor job in 6 months or that right seat in the RJ in 6 months. Anyone at FSI right now who had been there for the last year and knows what's going on will tell you the same thing.
I'm not here to slam FSI, but I wish someone would have told me this before I gave them my $50,000. Right now aviation is in a slump, and I am sure it will get better, but let's be realistic. There's no way it's gonna pick up as quick as FSI, or any other flight school for that matter, says that it will.
Just my .02

Re: Here\'s the scoop on the FSI waiting list...

Yep, I agree with all that. Especially the marketing dept. blowing smoke about the wait time. I interviewed this month and got turned down (not sure why, the whole process went pretty well- presentation included). Anyways, big freakin whoop- now I dont have to spend the next year (at least) of my life waiting around for FSI to call me into stands., so I can get one student (if that), at $14/hr. and starve to death in my refridgerator box. In a way I'm glad I didnt get hired. It was amusing when they called too...they said I should come in Monday morning to discuss my options. Options? What options? I can either re-interview (fat chance) or finish my CFII and leave (yay...no more VRB!!!).

Anyways, FSI is a great school, with a great CFI program. I've got absolutely no regrets about going there. But anyone who's planning on it, be warned....marketing will tell you anything to get you here.

Your right, the 6 month wait list time frame is about as long as FSI wants to "SAY", when realistically its more like a year. I'm somewhere on the wait list, close to the bottom, but its nice to be on it. I'm not going to just wait around for a year for FSI to call. I'll be doing some instructing, as well as another part-time job too. But if you have the oppertunity to do the presentation again after the cfii, I would strongly recommend it. Vero Beach might suck and the wait list might suck, but I'm up here in Ohio and its 10 degrees with a wind chill close to 0 degrees, and 6 inches of snow....now that sucks. For having only one student as an instructor at FSI, well maybe right after stand, but you will get more....Thats why there's a wait list, so instructors have more then 1 or 2 students. Basically, FSI is a great place to instruct..Weather, pay, benifets, equipment, and multi-time, you can't beat it..The small FBO i'm goin to do some instructing at has 3 PA28/140's, an arrow , and a 172. Every plane has different avionics an radios and only the 172 is IFR. I have to use a portable intercom in the cherokees to use headsets...wires everywhere. Its just so night and day from FSI..Plus its so damn cold.

I agree with TrcB777....
I'm more than happy to be on the list. 6 months is incorrect, they shouldn't be saying that if they are. I'm just instructing, doing my thing here in the cold, but I know that FSI will be my gateway whereas here I feel like I'm in a holding pattern at this school. Nobody really goes anywhere here. Guys just build and build and build time and don't have any "in" into an airline/cargo place.

I think the question of whether to stay at FSI (even if I did reinterview and change their mind) or not is one that can only be made by the individual. That fact of the matter is that I simply can't afford to instruct at FSI. There are plenty of people who instruct at other FBO's who make out just fine. I'm sure FSI is a great place to instruct; IF you're willing to wait forever, IF you have some way to support yourself from the time you get called back until the industry picks up, and IF you can deal with all the bull$hit (which is in plentiful supply lately). When its all said and done (college, FSI, car, etc.), I'm well over $100k in the hole. Waiting a year to get one student at $14/hr. and then another year until I start getting multi time isn't gonna cut it for me. So like I said, its a personal decision, and one that needs to be considered very carefully.

I agree with the above posts. FSI is a great school and I had a positive experience there. I just went through the hiring process too. Same thing happened to me. I thought everything went pretty well, including the presentation, but they didn't hire me. Oh well.
But, the situation with ASA and the 6 month waiting list are both just marketing ploys by FSI. ASA is completely shut down right now. The last class they started will finish with nothing to do until sometime in 2004. But, that's probably about how long one would wait to instruct at FSI if they passed the interview process right now.

Testaclefonte!!! Freezing your arse off up there, huh? I'm betting everything on the Raiders to cover next Sunday: even the lease on my car. Gonna just let it ride, all or nothing.

I just talked to a guy today who had a lot of connections in Greenville. He's a Lt.Col in the national guard so he knows a lot of people. So, I might be doing anything from flying skydivers to flying mail for some co. called BAnkAir or something. Anyway it looks good.
Drop me a line sometime bdsl777@yahoo.com

Teaching at FSI is a great deal if you can get in. Marketing never in anyway said I could count on teaching at FSI when I finished and I was warned about the wait before I started last February. I never planned on staying to teach so it was of no great interest to me. Like others have mentioned head out and find another spot if you are on the list or not. You can make it happen in just about any location if you want. I moved back home after finishing in August and I’m logging pretty good hours flying in northern Maine (winter is as bad here as is it is anywhere in the US besides Alaska). As for ASA (another program I never considered) FS was pretty clear with the students that I was with that they hoped to get things moving, but could not give any certain dates or numbers. Mr. Skovgard and others did a good job stopping into our classrooms last winter/spring and keeping folks up to date and offered no guarantees. I can understand your feelings about waiting to teach etc, but I never encountered anything but the truth about both of these issues when dealing with the school.

I just went through orientation at FSI here a couple weeks ago, and during orientation they mentioned that it was going to be longer than 6 months to instruct. I think they gave a range of anywhere from 7-12 months. Maybe back when you guys started it was 6 months, I don't know. But I think now that a lot of instructors are hanging around longer than their 800hr contracts, that the ripple effect is starting to filter through. Having just started here, I never felt misled by marketing in any way, I knew coming in that I would have to find other connections for a job after graduation. In fact they said that the standards for hiring instructors is tighter than it used to be based on the fact that they simply have too may IPs right now. Maybe that's why some of you guys didn't get hired. These are all just theories I'm blowing out of my arse, based on what they told us at orientation. I would love to come back here and instruct, but hopefully I'll find something else in the mean time. Good luck to you guys...

I will say this in defense of FSI, during my entire time here as a student and as an instructor no one ever made any promises to me. No job was ever guaranteed only an interview. It was made very clear that you are not hired until standardization is complete and that a waiting lists exists and you will be called at their discretion. The length of that wait is really a matter of pure speculation.

That said I wouldn't get too down on yourself. You didn't get hired on as an IP? Don't sweat it. I think you'll find that you did get a world class flight education, including some of the best CFI training in the industry. It won't be easy but hit the pavement, with that resume you'll find a CFI slot somewhere.

Good luck!

I agree with what you say.

I would guesstimate that the wait for stan is probably closer to two years (assuming that everybody ahead of you takes their class and no one bows out).

Additionally, I think that you can plan on approximately two years (at least) to fulfill an 800 hour IP contract as things currently stand. A word of warning: If you fall even 1 hour short, you will owe the full amount of you CFI/stan training costs. There is no pro rata reduction.

Even if you receive a stan class, you will probably not receive enough students to support yourself and repay your student loans.

Based on this, I would advise people not to wait on FSI stan classes and not to sign a training contract until conditions improve.

I would like to see ALPA step in and negotiate an IP contract. Right now, IPs are being taken advantage of and that is the only way that I can see to change things.

Just a side note, Mr. H did say he would be willing to let IP's out of the contract with only 700 hours given the current environment......

Back