Help with a problem

BLRJSTREAM

New Member
Here is my problem.... I have all my info in a Fex Ex package to drop in the mail for Flight Safety( Oct 6 Class). I am currently a dispatcher for ACA and I have been dispatching for the past 5 years. Just yesterday I got a call from a very good cargo carrier to come and dispatch for them. The money is great, but it is really not what I want to do. Just one more concern of mine is that I have lazy eye and I guess if it got worse I could lose my medical.
I am torn on what to do here.....
 

Visceral

Well-Known Member
It seems like you have plenty of experience with dispatching, so you will probably be able to get a job doing it with some company in the future. You said yourself that right now, its not something you want to do. I'd drop that package in the mail, go get the training and then go from there. You will always have the ability to fall back on a job that pays the bills if things aren't looking good when you finish.

As for your eye condition, has it been unstable recently to cause you concern? Any pilot could be involved in an accident(motorcycle, circus clown cars, etc) any day that would effectively end his career. Its something to consider obviously, but if you can pass a physical and have consulted your physician, I wouldn't worry.
 

chunk75

Well-Known Member
Was it an unsolicited offer? I don't know of many places that would take offense as someone turning down a job they didn't ask for.


Good luck @ FSI...you'll have a great time!

Chunk
 

BLRJSTREAM

New Member
Well they called me in FEB and had me interview, but turned me down for the position and after hearing that I started getting already to go to FSI....... About 2 hours before I was ready to drop my appliaction in the mail this company called me back and said they had another position open and they would like to offer it to me.
I really do want to go to FSI, but the job offer is about 15K more a year then I make now and I am afraid I will go to FSI and there will be no jobs when I get out??????????
I must give this company my answer by 9AM tomorrow (Jul 31)
I was also thinking about going to this job and putting off FSI or a year or 2 to see what happens with the pilot job sitution.
I know its bad
 

FLflyer

Well-Known Member
I'll bet most of us would love to have "problems" like this...I know I would. Hmm, out of the blue comes a job offer for $15,000/year MORE than I'm currently making, Life is so hard...Sorry about ranting, but I'm a 33-year old married man with some big-time real problems to deal with, just kinda pissed off right now.
 

EatSleepFly

Well-Known Member
Gee, that was a little harsh. Go squawk in the squawk box...he's got every right to ask for advice in here.
 

BLRJSTREAM

New Member
Hmmm ok........
I think that we all have real life problems, but I thought this was a forum for a flight school. I wasn't trying to piss people off by posting that.......
Sorry
 

Visceral

Well-Known Member
[ QUOTE ]
Well they called me in FEB and had me interview, but turned me down for the position and after hearing that I started getting already to go to FSI....... About 2 hours before I was ready to drop my appliaction in the mail this company called me back and said they had another position open and they would like to offer it to me.
I really do want to go to FSI, but the job offer is about 15K more a year then I make now and I am afraid I will go to FSI and there will be no jobs when I get out??????????
I must give this company my answer by 9AM tomorrow (Jul 31)
I was also thinking about going to this job and putting off FSI or a year or 2 to see what happens with the pilot job sitution.
I know its bad

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a tough choice. You probably really want to start with your dream of flying and get out of the 9to5 grind. However, you realize that the economy is in the dumps and many people are out there scrounging for jobs now. If I were you(and after reading how much your pay would increase), I think I'd take the new job. You have all the time in the world to get your ratings. Flight Safety will still be there when the economy recovers. I'd take that job, keep living like I wasn't making an extra 15k, and sock away the extra cash to help pay for future flight training.

Good Luck!
 

chunk75

Well-Known Member
The only one that can make this decision is you. Forget the negativity of the previous poster. If you want to come here to Vero, come on down. I'll gladly buy you a frosty beverage at the Pour House or at Lennie's Liberty Lounge. Sounds like you are an experienced and valued dispatcher. You can always go back to that in the future. They're going to want you later if you tell them politely now that you're already committed to something else and that you appreciate the offer.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Chunk
 
Top