HELP!!!!! =S

caesllo

Hi, I am a sophomore at high school, and I have had being in love with aviation since the age of 5. I've been looking for flight schools and universities. The university that has gotten my attention is ERAU, because of the degree and that stuff, and I also found Phoenix East Aviation School, but I really don't know which one I should apply. My goal is to be an major airline pilot. I know that it takes years of experience to get there, but which college will help me more getting into at least in a regional airline? I'm really confused... Another question that I have is: If a decide to go to ERAU and take the Aeronautical Science degree, when I graduate will I have the Private Pilot and Commercial Pilot licenses? and can I do the ATP program there?

Thank You

This same question has been answered many, many times. Try browsing around on the forums, you will find the answer you are looking for, I assure you.

Hi, I am a sophomore at high school, and I have had being in love with aviation since the age of 5. I've been looking for flight schools and universities. The university that has gotten my attention is ERAU, because of the degree and that stuff, and I also found Phoenix East Aviation School, but I really don't know which one I should apply. My goal is to be an major airline pilot. I know that it takes years of experience to get there, but which college will help me more getting into at least in a regional airline? I'm really confused... Another question that I have is: If a decide to go to ERAU and take the Aeronautical Science degree, when I graduate will I have the Private Pilot and Commercial Pilot licenses? and can I do the ATP program there?

Thank You

I'd suggest taking a peek at the main sight in the "Perspectives" section and take a peek at some of the various career tracks of people. There are about 50 ways to "skin the proverbial cat" in your quest and there's no single "right" answer.

Good luck!

Thank You
What kind of Grades do you have? Your overall GPA is a real big factor along with money. You can have really bad grades in H.S.- But in some schools, if you can meet tuition cost they will accept you.

What kind of Grades do you have? Your overall GPA is a real big factor along with money. You can have really bad grades in H.S.- But in some schools, if you can meet tuition cost they will accept you.

Actually I have a 3.6 GPA, money is kind of an issue, but I would start looking for a scholarship. But I mean I would try everything to get what I want, because what I really love is AVIATION. Is ERAU worth it?

Go to junior college with an aviation program even if you have to do it online. With the money you save by not starting at erau go get your ratings at a local fbo.
Then you can transfer to an aviation college of your choice so that you'll have a piece of paper with a well known brand name on it. This process will save you THOUSANDS.

Actually I have a 3.6 GPA, money is kind of an issue, but I would start looking for a scholarship. But I mean I would try everything to get what I want, because what I really love is AVIATION. Is ERAU worth it?
3.6 is a really good start keep working at it. In my own opinion - ERAU is a good school but I think many other Universities are getting more and more competitive. University of North Dakota has a excellent aviation program and they are alot cheaper too. from what im told landing a job in the Regionals isnt going to happen just because you have a degree from ERAU. I am told most Airlines dont even care if you have a Aviation degree or not - as long as you have some kind of degree and the required FAA ratings and flight hours you qualify. use resources like www.collegeboard.com to do some research on schools and cost. Money was a very big issue for me and I enlisted in the military to get some help paying for my tuition and fees.
The guy posting above me makes a good point, transfering is a very good way to save money. You still get the degree from the university but the training and tuition is done at a cheaper price.

Go to junior college with an aviation program even if you have to do it online. With the money you save by not starting at erau go get your ratings at a local fbo.
Then you can transfer to an aviation college of your choice so that you'll have a piece of paper with a well known brand name on it. This process will save you THOUSANDS.

So your advice would be to start at PEA and then transfer to ERAU to finish it?!

I think what he is saying you can start at any community college that offers a cheap tuition and flight training. After you have done all of your flight training and basic classes you can then transfer to a University of your choice.

With a 3.6 you will be awarded some very nice scholarships to a university, so my advise would be to continue to study hard and keep your GPA at a 3.6 or better and start contacting the universities your interested in attending. One of the things you'll discover by contacting the schools now is that some offer a high school summer program designed to help you determine which area of aviation best fits your interest.

One word of advise, start working now on your community service requirement, since it will separate you from everyone else that has a 3.6gpa or better.

One of my kids just graduated in May with a 3.6 and was offered a full scholarship to three different universities that includes tuition, books, food and dorm room.

Scholarship money is available, you just have to take the time and look for it. Once you've found it, you then need to apply for it and as dumb as it sounds, a huge number of qualified students fail to even take the time to apply.

Are you a minority by any chance? Or female? I had a 5.27 GPA coming out of high school and credit for a few core classes, and I was able to find a good number of scholarships for college. It definitely helped because when I graduated I was only about 18k in debt. Should have that paid off pretty soon.

A sophomore in high school???? So you would be 15-16? You should be asking what airport near San Jose is the best for flight training and getting down there and taking a few lessons before you plan your life around something you think you love.

Go down and take an intro flight. Should cost you like $50. If you really do like it, sign up for another lesson. I had my private by the time I was a junior in high school.

I went to a community college with a flight program and got done with private through commercial multi, CFI, CFII all for around $30,000 then they asked me to come back and teach. So I did that for a year and then transferred over to a 4 year now to complete my BA.

Thank You

I am a sophomore too and have been looking at ERAU, check my posts, I have asked like 5 questions about ERAU all over this forum.
What you will hear ever so often on this forum is "Major in something other than aviation for a backup career in case you get furloughed or lose your medical, and do your ratings on the side at your local FBO."
When you graduate from ERAU you receive your PPL, CPL, Multi-Engine, Instrument, CFI (Certified Flight Instructor), CFII (Certified Flight Instructor Instrument) and your MEI (Multi-Engine Instructor).
When you get all your licenses you instruct at your local FBO or at an aviation university so you can get more hours.
Be aware that ERAU is approximately 210,000$, and if money is an issue, you can go to a state school, major in business and fly on the side for about 130,000$. In the end, it's all personal preference. I still haven't decided what route I will take but I still have another year or two to decide, and so do you.
Welcome to Jetcareers, you will get a lot of information here!
Best of luck to you!
Alex

I am a sophomore too and have been looking at ERAU, check my posts, I have asked like 5 questions about ERAU all over this forum.
What you will hear ever so often on this forum is "Major in something other than aviation for a backup career in case you get furloughed or lose your medical, and do your ratings on the side at your local FBO."
When you graduate from ERAU you receive your PPL, CPL, Multi-Engine, Instrument, CFI (Certified Flight Instructor), CFII (Certified Flight Instructor Instrument) and your MEI (Multi-Engine Instructor).
When you get all your licenses you instruct at your local FBO or at an aviation university so you can get more hours.
Be aware that ERAU is approximately 210,000$, and if money is an issue, you can go to a state school, major in business and fly on the side for about 130,000$. In the end, it's all personal preference. I still haven't decided what route I will take but I still have another year or two to decide, and so do you.
Welcome to Jetcareers, you will get a lot of information here!
Best of luck to you!
Alex

Hey Alex. Yes, I have definitely read your posts. When I read your posts it was like hearing to myself speaking, because I think we are having the same problem! Thank you very much for answering my question about ERAU. I personally think I will go the ERAU route , it's like the best Aeronautics University that I've seen so far. I personally think that wasting 130 000$ in business it's not worth at all, I mean you could then do it when you have already got your degree in aviation, but as you said: it's all about personal preference...

Thank you very much.
Carlos

PS: I'm looking forward on asking you many questions about all these.

Hey Alex. Yes, I have definitely read your posts. When I read your posts it was like hearing to myself speaking, because I think we are having the same problem! Thank you very much for answering my question about ERAU. I personally think I will go the ERAU route , it's like the best Aeronautics University that I've seen so far. I personally think that wasting 130 000$ in business it's not worth at all, I mean you could then do it when you have already got your degree in aviation, but as you said: it's all about personal preference...

Thank you very much.
Carlos

PS: I'm looking forward on asking you many questions about all these.

Good to hear that Carlos. PM me for anything else and we'll talk.
Alex

Back