Help from NATCA for new controllers?

Rosstafari

Likes tacos
Is anybody aware of any help that NATCA may be offering to new controllers, whether they're in the applicant stage, in OKC, or just starting at their first facility? Given their position in the field -- underlined recently by the statements made at the recent Congressional hearing -- I wondered if maybe they had some sort of outreach to help get people up to speed more quickly. Hey, I'll take all the help I can get.

On a related note, does anyone know about how many controllers are unionized, and around what point in their careers they typically do it? I've gotten the impression that it plays a bigger role for controllers than in the average industry.

Along those lines, once a controller becomes part of the union does that hurt his/her chances of moving into management?

I figured there could be a conflict of interest due to the current relations.

As from the research I have done so far, the NATCA is unable to reach out to controllers while at the academy. Controllers are able to join the NATCA once at their facility. And if you choose to persue a management position you usually have to leave the union. Management personnel is not represented by a Union. Not sure if this is same for FAA but I would assume it is.

I hope this helps.

Why in heavens name would you want to become manglement, or even think that way before you've even gotten to your first facility? Tell your first trainer that your career goal is to become manglement and see how that goes over. Manglement folks are nothing more than people who COULD NOT do the job of controlling traffic. They are washouts and people who were scared EVERY time they plugged into position. NATCA is a family that will be your only buffer between a management that wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire and the street. They are power hungry fools that relish in the trivial. There is a reason that when furloughs come down from Congress and snow leave is approved upper manglement and stupervisors are made to take time off and controllers are not. WE are essential, they are not.

If this sounds like pro-Union anti manglement BS, wait until you get to your facility and you get in trouble or your training is not progressing quite like you thought. See who backs you up and see who tries to have you removed from the Agency.

why In Heavens Name Would You Want To Become Manglement, Or Even Think That Way Before You've Even Gotten To Your First Facility? Tell Your First Trainer That Your Career Goal Is To Become Manglement And See How That Goes Over. Manglement Folks Are Nothing More Than People Who Could Not Do The Job Of Controlling Traffic. They Are Washouts And People Who Were Scared every Time They Plugged Into Position. Natca Is A Family That Will Be Your Only Buffer Between A Management That Wouldn't Spit On You If You Were On Fire And The Street. They Are Power Hungry Fools That Relish In The Trivial. There Is A Reason That When Furloughs Come Down From Congress And Snow Leave Is Approved Upper Manglement And Stupervisors Are Made To Take Time Off And Controllers Are Not. We Are Essential, They Are Not.

If This Sounds Like Pro-union Anti Manglement Bs, Wait Until You Get To Your Facility And You Get In Trouble Or Your Training Is Not Progressing Quite Like You Thought. See Who Backs You Up And See Who Tries To Have You Removed From The Agency.

It Sounds Like Ur Supervisors Suck.... At The Tracon In Ny Its Nothing Like That..

It Sounds Like Ur Supervisors Suck.... At The Tracon In Ny Its Nothing Like That..

It actually sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about and are looking to become a stupevisor yourself. Look up the NY 11 and see how the stupes and the FFAA tried to lynch these controllers. This is what we are up against. You have your head in the sand.

Who would really want to be management?! The real fun is on the mic.

If you're just in it for the money and "power" this is not the right field for you. Gotta have a love for what you do. ;)

On a semi-related note, and at the risk of sounding woefully uninformed...
If hypothetically NATCA and the FAA were to reach an agreement tomorrow, and decided to improve the pay, would this new improvement only apply to those hired AFTER the agreement had been reached, or would it apply retroactively to all those who had their pay slashed. I guess my question is, would those who are newly hired make more money than those who were hired under the IWR, or would everyone get the raise???

On a semi-related note, and at the risk of sounding woefully uninformed...
If hypothetically NATCA and the FAA were to reach an agreement tomorrow, and decided to improve the pay, would this new improvement only apply to those hired AFTER the agreement had been reached, or would it apply retroactively to all those who had their pay slashed. I guess my question is, would those who are newly hired make more money than those who were hired under the IWR, or would everyone get the raise???

My take, from a totally non-Union representative position, is that they would raise the pay levels for all to be commensurate with what the older controllers make. I really doubt that they are going to raise my pay.:crazy:

My take, from a totally non-Union representative position, is that they would raise the pay levels for all to be commensurate with what the older controllers make. I really doubt that they are going to raise my pay.:crazy:
Ok, that makes sense, thanks.

Back