Helicopter pilot to the Regionals

HelicBrian

Good Sunday Afternoon all,

Id like to start out by saying how cool it is that JetCareers has been around for so long. I believe I became a member almost 10 years ago. Been all over and now posting again for the first time.

The topic today... Helicopter pilots transitioning to the regional airlines.

On the helicopter side, we are losing pilots in what seems like a mass exodus to the regional carriers. For whatever reason (Money, Lifestyle, Helicopter Industry Stagnation), this seems like a new development. Although I haven't been in Helicopter industry for that long (5 years and counting), when I started my training, it wasn't even a discussion point to move "laterally" like so many have recently. Anyway, quite a number of guys from the company I work for (large 135 in the GOM), have left and seem to be loving the journey they are taking with the airlines. My colleagues and I talk at length about the prospects, good and bad, and I was hoping I could get a little more insight.

Assume I have all requirements met, or exceeded, for the transition (minus the FW flight time, or some of it at least). I'm planning on doing some light FW training on my own dime before even pursuing any training bonuses or interviews etc etc. I've always wanted to be dual rated anyway, and I have a little extra cash at the moment.

Are there better regionals than others? Of course there are probably a lot of opinions on this, but more from a standpoint for quality of life. Are the upgrade times really what they are saying in the ads/recruiting posters? I'm living in and loving Atlanta, what are the best options for staying here? Anything with Delta on the side of it I suppose. I have 3 friends/colleagues that have taken the TransStates route in the last 30-40 days, where does TSA stand in the mix? Skywest? Endeavor?

Anyway, thank you ahead of time for your responses!!

Fly Safe!

Good Sunday Afternoon all,

Id like to start out by saying how cool it is that JetCareers has been around for so long. I believe I became a member almost 10 years ago. Been all over and now posting again for the first time.

The topic today... Helicopter pilots transitioning to the regional airlines.

On the helicopter side, we are losing pilots in what seems like a mass exodus to the regional carriers. For whatever reason (Money, Lifestyle, Helicopter Industry Stagnation), this seems like a new development. Although I haven't been in Helicopter industry for that long (5 years and counting), when I started my training, it wasn't even a discussion point to move "laterally" like so many have recently. Anyway, quite a number of guys from the company I work for (large 135 in the GOM), have left and seem to be loving the journey they are taking with the airlines. My colleagues and I talk at length about the prospects, good and bad, and I was hoping I could get a little more insight.

Assume I have all requirements met, or exceeded, for the transition (minus the FW flight time, or some of it at least). I'm planning on doing some light FW training on my own dime before even pursuing any training bonuses or interviews etc etc. I've always wanted to be dual rated anyway, and I have a little extra cash at the moment.

Are there better regionals than others? Of course there are probably a lot of opinions on this, but more from a standpoint for quality of life. Are the upgrade times really what they are saying in the ads/recruiting posters? I'm living in and loving Atlanta, what are the best options for staying here? Anything with Delta on the side of it I suppose. I have 3 friends/colleagues that have taken the TransStates route in the last 30-40 days, where does TSA stand in the mix? Skywest? Endeavor?

Anyway, thank you ahead of time for your responses!!

Fly Safe!

The three American Wholly-owned regionals have a RTP (Rotor Transition Program) that will pay for you to transition to the airlines. Not sure of any other regionals offering this.

"Avoid TSA like it has the plague."

Thanks for the honesty! Care to elaborate?

It's run by some of the most dishonest people in the world. They make lawyers look honest. TSH, who owns compass, gojets and tsa have some of the world labor relations in the industry.

They lie, they fire pilots for sport, and they're unapologetic about it.

Fair enough. Sounds like that would be the wrong route to take!

They are the only ones that I have found thus far that specifically talk about civilian trained RW pilots being eligible for the program.

Former helo guy here. Did the fixed wing on my own before these transition programs came about. Look at the retirement numbers thread. I was hired a year and three months ago at 1496 on the seniority list I'm now 967. I'm at an AA wholly owned so there is garunteed attrition off the top. We also lose as many or more each month to Delta. Also lots of guys getting picked up Fed Ex too as well as United and others.

I posted a joke meme on Facebook about working on a holiday yesterday and how it comes with the territory. I was actually off Easter. With only first year seniority I was also off Christmas and New Year's. I intentionally worked Thanksgiving because they offered holiday pay and credited 137 hours of pay for November.

So I would say quality of life is great. I bid 3 four day trips that start on Monday and end on Thursday and I'll pick up one trip out of open time each month for premium pay. I average 85 credit a month and 14 days off. I put 60k on my W-2 with the first 3 months being in training. All that said, pay negotiations going on as we speak to keep up with the Joneses...

I don't see myself ever going back to helicopters... Though I do see myself buying my own

Back