Helicopter Books

I especialy enjoyed Learning to Fly Helicopters Not as indepth on some of the finer theoretical & technical aspects on helicopter flying, but written conversational style and straightforward.

If you're into math and the physics of flying helo's, ASA's Principles of Helicopter Flight is good too.

The Jeppesen book is really good and a lot of schools use it as their curriculum. The section on preflight is pretty much all Schweizer based but over all a good text.
Shane

I read Fatal Traps at least once a year. It still makes me chuckle to read about the accident where someone had a cargo hook on an R22 doing venison recovery.
Shane

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

:rawk:

Read that book on a deployment, while OIF wasn't as nearly as bad or intense as Vietnam, it was uncanny how much I could relate to Mason's experience.

Also Low Level Hell by Hugh Mills. Thanks to this guy I'm not furloughed and 60k in debt. He owes me a couple pairs of underwear though.

For non-instructional I would also recommend Nightstalkers and In the Company of Heros, both by Michael Durant. Also To the Limit by Tom A. Johnson.

I read parts of "The Art and Science of Flying Helicopters" prior to taking the AFAST a few years ago. I went to find it a couple days ago (now that I am in flight school) only to realize that a USED copy of it (as it is out of print) runs $80-$90. Ouch. Same author wrote an updated version from what I've learned. It is called "Cyclic and Collective" I think I'll be checking that one out. The Durant books are great!

Also Low Level Hell by Hugh Mills. Thanks to this guy I'm not furloughed and 60k in debt. He owes me a couple pairs of underwear though.

I thought you mentioned this book in a more recent thread, but I didn’t see it. Anyhow, my family and I stopped in Half Price Books to browse around an lookie what I found...

E4F2DE95-ED82-4E59-95A9-3BF7D90460D2.jpeg

I bought a paperback at Rucker, but I’ve never seen a hard cover edition. They actually had two copies (even more amazing), but the other was almost full price because it was in great condition.

So what’s the JC necro-post record?

Snake Driver starts very good. The back half is a little bit of personal bitching, but still a good book of the Vietnam experience.

I thought you mentioned this book in a more recent thread, but I didn’t see it. Anyhow, my family and I stopped in Half Price Books to browse around an lookie what I found...
I bought a paperback at Rucker, but I’ve never seen a hard cover edition. They actually had two copies (even more amazing), but the other was almost full price because it was in great condition.

So what’s the JC necro-post record?

Impressive find on the books and post. Going back to 2009 my initial flight ADSO was done and I wish someone told me to get out and finally pursue my dreams of becoming an airline pilot.

Back