Helene is looking spicey

There’s an NOAA buoy that the storm just passed over that sends back 360deg of photos every hour. It’s been reporting sustained surface winds up over 70mph with gusts to 110 and 25’ seas.

IMG_2322.jpeg

My company has 10 deepwater platforms in the gulf, including one that’s far enough out that helos have to make a fuel stop at another rig.

The logistics of evacuating must be bonkers.

Oh man, helo operations on the rigs is another level of problems. I haven’t been involved, but a close friend has done both CONUS & OCONUS. The stories are good enough for another thread of its own.

Oh man, helo operations on the rigs is another level of problems. I haven’t been involved, but a close friend has done both CONUS & OCONUS. The stories are good enough for another thread of its own.

They have their own dedicated GOM gridded sectional, depicting platforms, routes, etc. The ops are indeed interesting. Drill rigs, production rigs, unmanned platforms, all kinds of places and work.

My company has 10 deepwater platforms in the gulf, including one that’s far enough out that helos have to make a fuel stop at another rig.

The logistics of evacuating must be bonkers.

In the light helos, the pax often do the fueling at the platforms too. Seems weird, but they are given the training. The amount of dollars out there and what they will use a helo for without a second thought of cost, is interesting to hear about.

Back