Heart and BP

will

I have posted before about my Bicuspid Valve, and have some new information. I first found out about the bicuspid valve when I was 17 and tried to get into the military, I am now 29. I am scheduled for the ATC PEPC in 2 weeks and went in to my doc to get a referral for a Echo test so I could take that with me to the PEPC. He said that based on my results from my test 3 years ago they couldnt rule out a bicuspid nature due to inability to visualize leaflets clearly. No mitral regurgitation noted and only trivial tricuspid regurgitation. I asked about getting another test and he said it wouldnt be necessary till 2010. I did get the results from 05 but that was it.

I also had uncommonly high BP, when I first got tested it was 155/101, then the doctor talked with me for a while and retested and got 147/95 (10 min later). He suggested some medicine to lower it, but I think it may be due to my weight, and anxiety about trying to sell my house and some domestic issues Im dealing with. Does anyone have an suggestions??

What is your height and weight? That along with other lifestyle choices and life situations will play a role. Before starting meds you may want to look into making some changes and see where that takes you.

My suggestion: Try running. It's a great way to control your stress and dump some lb's. It isn't much fun at first. In fact, it will be rather painful, but the benefits outweigh the pain. Consistancy is key. And, believe it or not, you have a nice six-pack that is currently being covered up by fat.

The proper way to diagnose high blood pressure is:
The auscultatory method of BP measurement with a properly calibrated and
validated instrument should be used.16 Persons should be seated quietly for at least 5 minutes in a chair (rather than on an exam table), with feet on the floor, and arm supported at heart level. Measurement of BP in the standing position is indicated periodically, especially in those at risk for postural hypotension.
An appropriate-sized cuff (cuff bladder encircling at least 80 percent of the
arm) should be used to ensure accuracy. At least two measurements should be made. SBP is the point at which the first of two or more sounds is heard (phase 1), and DBP is the point before the disappearance of sounds (phase 5).

This should be done on 3 different days and the values averaged before treatment is initiated.

If you can get a copy of the ECHO film (probably on CD) take that with you in case they want to look at it.

Back