Hearing

Aaronvandagriff

Hey people of jet careers! I am wanting to start an exciting life of a commercial pilot but I have a few major obstacles in my way. My first and most sever obstacle is my hearing. I can not pass a hearing test. I have went to an audiologist about it and they said all I have is moderate hearing loss. Looking and the FAA guidelines it appears I may be able to squeeze by on my medical but I have my doubts. I had researched some things about SODA and that seems like a legit process but I really dont want to wait all that money to find out that I cant even get my ppl due to my hearing. What should my next step be? Should kill my dreams of becoming a pilot? Are hearing aids allowed in the pilot world?

Hearing ads are allowed. That's what you should look into. You still might need a waiver/SODA though. The normal hearing test for a medical is pretty lax but now that you've documented it and "know" about it you'll have to put it on the medical application.

Hearing ads are allowed. That's what you should look into. You still might need a waiver/SODA though. The normal hearing test for a medical is pretty lax but now that you've documented it and "know" about it you'll have to put it on the medical application.
Thank you so much! What resources could I use to find more information about hearing aids?

I would talk to an AME about the process and maybe the would recommend an audiologist. I don't really know beyond that.

I agree with DE727UPS. I would look into seeing an audiologist about hearing aids. Might be helpful to take the hearing standards along for the audiologist to review:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

If you get the hearing aids and can pass the conversational voice test with them the AME will put the restriction of VALID ONLY WITH USE OF HEARING AMPLIFICATION on your certificate. Since headphones are an accepted form of hearing amplification you can fly with no further restriction.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA Designated AME
www.kansascityame.com

I agree with DE727UPS. I would look into seeing an audiologist about hearing aids. Might be helpful to take the hearing standards along for the audiologist to review:

If you get the hearing aids and can pass the conversational voice test with them the AME will put the restriction of VALID ONLY WITH USE OF HEARING AMPLIFICATION on your certificate. Since headphones are an accepted form of hearing amplification you can fly with no further restriction.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA Designated AME
www.kansascityame.com
Woo we have an AME here now?

The FAA minimum hearing standard for 1st class medical is the ability to hear an average conversational voice from a distance of 6 ft away with the back turned to the examiner.

In ALL my years of getting 1st class medicals, that was the only test I've done. No FAA doc put me through a hearing/audiology/speech discrimination device/headset/etc.

The FAA minimum hearing standard for 1st class medical is the ability to hear an average conversational voice from a distance of 6 ft away with the back turned to the examiner.

In ALL my years of getting 1st class medicals, that was the only test I've done. No FAA doc put me through a hearing/audiology/speech discrimination device/headset/etc.
Only further testing is done if you do not pass the first test

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA Designated AME
www.kansascityame.com
I have already talked with an audiologist when ever I tried to get into the military. They suggested hearing aids. I'm thinking about getting hearing aids with my income taxes and seeing about going to school either by the end of this year or start of next year

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA Designated AME
www.kansascityame.com

Nice to see you here - I'm formally a captive of Kansas City and was able to re-patriate back home to Texas. MY question is a tad different - I have bilateral cochlear implants. I hear remarkably well. I've been told anecdotally that I can just get the "Needs hearing amplification". This is not actually "amplification" though - I am completely deaf, and the Cochlear Implants actually create the sound. Just wondering if you've heard of this and what your thoughts are. And again, glad to see you here!

Nice to see you here - I'm formally a captive of Kansas City and was able to re-patriate back home to Texas. MY question is a tad different - I have bilateral cochlear implants. I hear remarkably well. I've been told anecdotally that I can just get the "Needs hearing amplification". This is not actually "amplification" though - I am completely deaf, and the Cochlear Implants actually create the sound. Just wondering if you've heard of this and what your thoughts are. And again, glad to see you here!

Oh Jesus no, not this. I have enough stress to deal with at work without having to worry about you bombing around near me in a Staggerwing.

Hi WacoFan,

I haven't had an airman with implants personally (yet), but my understanding is that it would be handled through the FSDO with a Medical Flight Test (MFT). The airman flies with an FAA examiner and is issued a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) for the class of certificate they wish to pursue. This SODA exempts the airman from the medical hearing requirements.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA Designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Back