Headset for the ERJ-145

Grabo172

Hey all, sorry for a headset thread, but here it is.

I just got the Bose A20 and have been using it in the 145 for the last 3 months and have noticed the mic noise is crazy loud. When I go off of hot mic, it is dead quiet. I even called Bose and they sent a new headset to see if maybe the mic was defective and the noise is the same in the new one. I would think a $1000 headset would be better at canceling out wind noise than that...

It's annoying to have to go off and on hot mic all the time because the noise is so loud in the mic.

So what TSO'd headsets have you all found to work best in the 145?

I haven't flown with one quiet headset in the 145. The bose are very loud in my CAs when the other pilot doesn't turn off the hot mic.
Just be a decent human and use the switch, it's a damn turboprop windshield grudgingly shoved into the flight levels at (the low end of) transonic speed

I haven't flown with one quiet headset in the 145. The bose are very loud in my CAs when the other pilot doesn't turn off the hot mic.
Just be a decent human and use the switch, it's a damn turboprop windshield grudgingly shoved into the flight levels at (the low end of) transonic speed

I've been turning it off... but wondered if there was a better option. I often forget and start talking with it off, then roll my eyes and turn the mic back on. :rolleyes:

I've been turning it off... but wondered if there was a better option. I often forget and start talking with it off, then roll my eyes and turn the mic back on. :rolleyes:
Yeah, it sucks. You can find a quiet mic headset but it still won't change the fact that the other pilot still needs to move the switch or have a quiet headset for your hearing to benefit.

I used a David Clark H20-10 for my 7 year sentence in the E145. Our company kept cheapest DC's in the airplane, but the mic on the H20-10 was actually quite good and I didn't mind lugging it around. Then again we had paper charts back then and I was carrying a 30 pound flight kit anyway, so what's another few pounds.

Thought I’d give an update on the mic muff...

Works awesomely! Nice and quiet now. Blocks the wind noise well and no effect on voice transmission.

Back